12311 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

Default The issue of gay marriage

I've spent a lot of time thinking. I have not heard from anyone a truly logical argument against gay marriage. If we can't find a well-founded argument, what is the point of going against it? Isn't it just someone's stupid personal bias? Why should we fight against love for the sake of prejudice? I'm asking, can anyone give me a truly logical argument against gay marriage or is prosecuting it a really dumb thing to do?

If you want to make an argument, you have to make it purely logical. No Bible-quoting. Also, no sweeping generalizations.

Yeah, I know my demand for logic makes me sound like a T, but it's just wrong to make someone suffer for personal bias.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

You'll never get an entirely logical argument against gay marriage because there are none; every argument that goes against gays getting married is based of fear and irrationality, nothing else.

MBTI
    SEXY

What follows is not an answer to, but a broadening of the question:

I've spent a lot of time thinking. I have not heard from anyone a truly logical argument against gay for marriage. If we can't find a well-founded argument, what is the point of going against for it? Isn't it just someone's stupid personal bias? Why should we fight against love for the sake of prejudice? I'm asking, can anyone give me a truly logical argument against gay for marriage or is prosecuting proposing it a really dumb thing to do?

If you want to make an argument, you have to make it purely logical. No Bible-quoting. Also, no sweeping generalizations.

Yeah, I know my demand for logic makes me sound like a T, but it's just wrong to make someone suffer for personal bias.
    Marriage is just a social institution. Nothing logical about it.
    (removed)

Permabanned

Maybe...
    Homosexuality is biologically counter productive. Obviously we'll never get rid of it homosexuality entirely (it's probably a natural part of the human psyche) but since it's unnatural it shouldn't be tolerated. Allowing gay marriage would be tolerating it. <- if you can accept that, then all that remains is proving homosexuality as biologically counter productive.

As humans our goal is to pass on our genes in order to sustain (and ultimately improve) our species. Allowing gay marriage would not discourage people to not pass on their genes by not seeking someone who would enable them to do so. (I don't expect anyone to get that..In other words, allowing gay marriage would not discourage homosexuality. This "not-discouraging" would allow people who would otherwise start families to not start families..instead they'd just live with their gay partner and perhaps adopt children.) By them not passing on their genes, they are ultimately not making the species as great as it could be. (Gene variety, gene competition etc etc). So, gay marriage should be discouraged. By allowing gay marriage you do not discourage it..which ultimately hurts the whole species.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Mkenya
    Maybe...
    Homosexuality is biologically counter productive. Obviously we'll never get rid of it homosexuality entirely (it's probably a natural part of the human psyche) but since it's unnatural it shouldn't be tolerated. Allowing gay marriage would be tolerating it. <- if you can accept that, then all that remains is proving homosexuality as biologically counter productive.

As humans our goal is to pass on our genes in order to sustain (and ultimately improve) our species. Allowing gay marriage would not discourage people to not pass on their genes by not seeking someone who would enable them to do so. (I don't expect anyone to get that..In other words, allowing gay marriage would not discourage homosexuality. This "not-discouraging" would allow people who would otherwise start families to not start families..instead they'd just live with their gay partner and perhaps adopt children.) By them not passing on their genes, they are ultimately not making the species as great as it could be. (Gene variety, gene competition etc etc). So, gay marriage should be discouraged. By allowing gay marriage you do not discourage it..which ultimately hurts the whole species.
    Only in regards to reproduction, otherwise I would argue that it is entirely biological becuase even animals can display homosexual tendencies. Also, it can benefit some species as recreational intercourse (even among the same sex) can build healthy relationships and furhter strengthen the social bonds of a species (I refer mostly to Bonobo chimps in this respect). But since human beings no longer need to worry about reproducing (we already do too much of it) then homosexual relations aren't really a problem in that regard. Also, even if homosexual people are not to marry they still exist and thus pose that same bilogical status even though they are single, so therefore aloowing marraige doesn't really interfere with the biological process of our species.

A window to the soul

The only issue that I'm aware of is that it's not possible. Might be a good thing! For those that are confused, I'm not willing to help you there, sorries.

This is about values.
    Logic plays a very small role in this issue.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    This is about values.
    Logic plays a very small role in this issue.
    Logically speaking, you can't fit a square peg in a round hole. Value speaking, it may be damn frustrating to try and force the square peg. Apparently not impossible.

-runs for cover-

Quote Originally Posted by perfectgirl View Post
    Logically speaking, you can't fit a square peg in a round hole. Value speaking, it may be damn frustrating to try and force the square peg. Apparently not impossible.

-runs for cover-
    You're making me wonder if you understand the definition of "value."
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

A window to the soul

RAWR! Definition of Value: "import or meaning; force; significance: the value of a word". If one wants it bad enough, I suppose one will make it happen. If I go into detail, I'll be politically incorrect, crude and crucified. So, I'll refrain and simply state that gay marriage is illegal for a logical reason.

-end of thread-