First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    If gays want to do disgusting, horrible, immoral things in the privacy of their own home, within the confines of a sinful, blasphemous relationship, who are we to judge?
    Who says it's disgusting? If you have a couple of sexy-looking girls making out, it's kinda hot. :P

what the hell is wrong with you people?

/excretes pomp
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Torai View Post
    Who says it's disgusting? If you have a couple of sexy-looking girls making out, it's kinda hot. :P
    Not all lesbians are sexy. Look at these lesbians:

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    what the hell is wrong with you people?
    We're here to find out

Smile Sharia Marriage

I've been in favour of civil marriage open to all for a long time. And it seems that the only issue is whether we call it civil marriage or a civil union.

However this semantic difficulty may be the least of our problems when we start demanding sharia marriage.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post

That's why I said sexy-looking. XD
    I defined my terms.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Moonflower View Post
    Those are traditions which have been changed over time. If someone is going to say marriage should be traditional and unchanging, they better support those things. Otherwise they, too, are arguing in favor of a non-traditional idea of marriage.
    Traditions certainly do change, but they change on a basis of prudence and continuity - ie the basic principles behind them stay the same but their applications change. Not all forms of change are made equal. So it doesn't necessarily follow that a "traditionalist" has to defend any of the things you mentioned.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Its not a matter of standing on tradition when you refuse to revise the meaning of marriage, if you change something so drastically that it no longer even resembles what it once was then its no longer that thing at all. Simple as. Recycle newsprint to make note books and its no longer newsprint. Recycle coke cans to make a toaster rack and its the toaster rack isnt going to be a good place to keep soft drink, you know?

I dont see what's to prevent anyone objecting to marriage being revised and robbed of meaning simply creating a new designation meaning what marriage once did but again distinctive from what contemporary value judgements think it should be, its what I would do, I wonder how long until the practice was outlawed or someone argued that the new definition should be co-opted and changed too.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    You are still doing it.. I am in quite a happy mood and I am feeling zero anger or bitterness today.
    However I am aware my words might invoke emotional reactions in others.
    This is not my problem in a political debate.
    If you feel anger or bitterness from my words.. Those feelings belong to you not me.

I promise you Jennifer, if I am ever angry or bitter , I will qualify it, OK?
    Otherwise I would appreciate that if you assume I am feeling something, to come and ask me how I am feeling, before you make assumptions, which are probably based on your own feelings, not mine.

In the last week alone I was insulted 2 times by moderators. I am also regularly exposed to their psychoanalysis and assessments of my emotional and mental states.

This is not the job of a moderator.. SO I am going to single out the authority that puts it's self above the rules it enforces.
    How can you be objective and fair when you mingle and form bonds with your subjects??

I am aware that most mods have decided I am angry.. therefore I am constantly accused of being angry.. None have actually bothered to ask me what is going on or to explain myself.

Then I am subjected to personal counter points and arguments based on my "perceived" emotional state, and my actual argument gets ignored.

It's just a bit tiring.. That is all.
    Well, yes... and if it's tiring, you can stop.
    The only topic I was discussing with you was same-sex marriage, right?
    Your perception that some moderators here misjudge your emotional state really didn't have anything to do with me. At least one other member (and I think more) in this thread noted that you did seem [at least a little] over-the-top in your response... and a few exchanges later, you're still writing large amounts of prose about this?

If you feel that I'm misreading you, then ignore my advice and continue to behave as you have been... wherever that gets you. It's your choice, not mine, to decide what to do.

Thank you.. this is my point entirely.. If you had read everything I wrote and not just focused on your prejudices against me and others, and the feelings they invoke in you. We would not be having this discussion at all.
    ...Oh dear.

I have made my point.. either gays are normal functioning members of society or they are special.. I personally believe who you have sex with holds no special powers at all.
    Thank you.
    The prohibition on same-sex marriage, then, should be considered ridiculous.
    Glad we agree.

And I do get frustrated.. Because hypocrisy will do that to me.
    But it's still not hostility and/or anger.
    Frustrated... not hostile or angry.
    Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim
    On other issues I recommend that people don't launch watermelons at themselves.
    I think the downfall of western civilization can be credited to illicit watermelon-launching.

If people only used cantaloupes instead, the moral code would not have been broken.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid
    That's a lot of five o'clock shadow for a lesbian.
    Can we get a confirmation on this?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its not a matter of standing on tradition when you refuse to revise the meaning of marriage, if you change something so drastically that it no longer even resembles what it once was then its no longer that thing at all. Simple as. Recycle newsprint to make note books and its no longer newsprint. Recycle coke cans to make a toaster rack and its the toaster rack isnt going to be a good place to keep soft drink, you know?
    This touches upon the all-important philosophical distinction between essences and accidents:
    Aristotle made a distinction between the essential and accidental properties of a thing. For example, a chair can be made of wood, metal, or plastic, but this is an accident: it is accidental to its being a chair. It is still a chair regardless of the material it is made of.[2] To put this in technical terms, an accident is a property which has no necessary connection to the essence of the thing being described.[3][4][5]

To take another example, all bachelors are unmarried: this is a necessary or essential property of what it means to be a bachelor. A particular bachelor may have brown hair, but this would be a property particular to that individual, and from the point of view of bachelorhood it would be an accidental property. And this distinction is independent of experimental verification: even if for some reason all the unmarried men with non-brown hair were killed, and every single existent bachelor had brown hair, the property of having brown hair would still be accidental, since it would still be logically possible for a bachelor to have hair of another color.

The nine kinds of accidents according to Aristotle are quantity, quality, relation, habitus, time, location, situation (or position), action, and passion ("being acted on"). Together with "substance", these nine kinds of accidents constitute the ten essential categories of Aristotle's ontology.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acciden...bstance_theory
    The essence of marriage is the union of male and female. Certainly the quantity of males and females being united can and have changed(polygamy/monogamy), but those are accidents to the central essence. With same-sex marriage, you're changing the essence of marriage itself. I notice often many arguments made in favor of gay-marriage are based upon this fundamental confusing of essences with accidents; which is related(if not identical) to the confusion of the existence of universals with those of particulars as well. Gotta love metaphysics.