First 152324252627 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    When in doubt concerning what is logical... Look to the Vulcans.. .. "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few" ~ Spock
    Indeed, the Vulcans have good advice =)

This is the logic used when there is something that the many need that they cannot get if the few get what they need to get. But this isn't the situation. I do not see how you are unable to meet your needs over there.

But it is good that you are looking to the logical side. Live long and prosper.

Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

I was asking Peguy, because most would consider such a marriage a sham, as she has no attraction to men, only to women, but we are in love, so our marriage would only be about love, with no procreation taking place, no sex at all.

My point being, if that is ok, a marriage with no point other than emotional companionship, then why is it not ok for gays to have civil unions with the same legal benefits of marriage? My marriage would be a sham, at least their civil unions would have love in them, whether one believes its a sin or not, they at least deserve the same legal benefits I believe... I think my suggestion earlier in the thread is probably the fairest way of doing things, I could be wrong, but I've yet to see a better compromise suggested.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You're in love but you don't want to have sex?

That doesn't sound right to me. You can love each other, but how are you in love if you don't want to make love to that person?

Otherwise you could just marry your friends.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

In fact, Curator, your post seems like an argument for forcing gays to marry an opposite sex partner they loved as a friend, not the other way around.

I'm really confused. Am I misunderstanding you?

Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    In fact, Curator, your post seems like an argument for forcing gays to marry an opposite sex partner they loved as a friend, not the other way around.

I'm really confused. Am I misunderstanding you?
    your misunderstanding me considerably, but I will start with your first comments, Love has nothing to do with sex for me, its about a deep connection with another human being, the sexual urge to procreate is secondary at best for me... I would much rather have the level of emotional intimacy that me and her have, than the mostly physically intimate relationships most ive met seem to want, at the cost of emotional intimacy, its what feels right for me, but I don't begrudge others preferring a different relationship dynamic.

On the other comment, your misunderstanding me completely, I am not saying all should do so, its just Peguy seems to have a very specific view of who should be allowed to be together and have the benefits of marriage, but seems ok with a man and a woman who would only marry each other for getting said legal benefits, and I was just curious what his personal reasoning and feelings behind this happen to be, My own were shared quite far back in this thread, I called for compromise, basically remove all legal benefits from marriage, leaving it solely a religious ceremony, and then give civil unions to whoever wants them with the same benefits marriage had.

I am not a proponent of gays marrying straights, unless they feel like that is what will make them both happy... me and My amy love each other, chances are we probably wont get married, but its a possibility, so we can receive the benefits, we both wanna be together forever, so its something being considered... we are obviously quite rare, and the success of our relationship within this specific dynamic is obviously not typical, as most people prefer to be attracted to, and to make love with the person they love...

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Dear Arclight...

This is why you should not engage in political discussions and debates.
    I advise you to refrain from such discussions and debates in the future.
    Should you come into contact with such a discussion or debate at any time in the future.
    I advise you to take a 7'' nail and hammer it all the way up one of your nostrils.. It will be less painful..

Thank You

Arc

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

^^ Make it 9-inch nails.. that way you're at least making an interesting cultural reference that will one day show up as a Jeopardy question.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Otherwise you could just marry your friends.
    hey, there's an idea...!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Curator View Post
    I was asking Peguy, because most would consider such a marriage a sham, as she has no attraction to men, only to women, but we are in love, so our marriage would only be about love, with no procreation taking place, no sex at all.
    A marriage is invalid unless it's consumated.

My point being, if that is ok, a marriage with no point other than emotional companionship, then why is it not ok for gays to have civil unions with the same legal benefits of marriage?
    I only answered the part about a man marrying a woman with lesbian inclination, and whether that in itself is technically valid. I answered yes if she's not engaged in lesbian actvitity. I did not validate your entire scenario, which was framed in a confusing manner. And as I just stated above, a marriage without consumation is not a valid marriage.

Now why don't civil unions deserve the same benefits as marriage? Simple, it's not marriage and not on the same status as marriage.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I'm close to losing a bet as to how long this threads going to run

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm close to losing a bet as to how long this threads going to run
    Well we've already reached the hypothetical phase, so who knows.

Edit: Oh yeah and I forgot to mention the Star Trek phase as well.