User Tag List

First 122021222324 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    That would be super. Things like legal rights shouldn't be connected to a religious ceremony (imo). I'd be fine with civil unions for all. Too bad it hasn't always been like that.

I guess there's a cultural aspect where "marriage" is considered something special beyond the practical/legal rights, though. I don't feel much of that myself but I can understand why some might. And, a lot of religious folk get veerrry upset at the prospect of separating the legal marriage from the religious marriage aspect, for some reason.

Then again, while "marriage" started religious, it's now very secular overall (vegas, anyone?). Atheists get married all the time. If Christians get to take Christmas from the pagans and it's all cool, why is it not ok for the state to take marriage from religion? I guess mostly because Christianity has many more members, and far more vocal ones.
    Yeah, there's really no way to make everyone happy about this, especially in countries with diverse populations. I could see why, in a homogeneous country with a clearly dominant culture, marriage might be regulated in some way but not in countries where such a wide range of opinions exist.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

There is no logical argument against gay marriage. Just as there's no logical argument against legalizing marijuana, or any other individual choice a person makes that doesn't correalate to an increase in violence or any other detriment which affects other people in the society.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by perfectgirl View Post
    Logically speaking, you can't fit a square peg in a round hole. Value speaking, it may be damn frustrating to try and force the square peg. Apparently not impossible.

-runs for cover-
    I can't figure out why you think you're an NT ... there is absolutely no logical basis for what you're saying. Homosexual people can have manual, oral, anal, and genital penetration in the case of lesbians with dildos. There's also a concept called scissoring you apparently aren't aware of. All of these things are perfectly logically possible, and even straight people do these things, they aren't exclusive sex acts to gays.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    No I don't.
    Because divine low does not entail such a thing? Are you against traffic laws, too?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mkenya View Post
    Maybe...
    Homosexuality is biologically counter productive. Obviously we'll never get rid of it homosexuality entirely (it's probably a natural part of the human psyche) but since it's unnatural it shouldn't be tolerated. Allowing gay marriage would be tolerating it. <- if you can accept that, then all that remains is proving homosexuality as biologically counter productive.

As humans our goal is to pass on our genes in order to sustain (and ultimately improve) our species. Allowing gay marriage would not discourage people to not pass on their genes by not seeking someone who would enable them to do so. (I don't expect anyone to get that..In other words, allowing gay marriage would not discourage homosexuality. This "not-discouraging" would allow people who would otherwise start families to not start families..instead they'd just live with their gay partner and perhaps adopt children.) By them not passing on their genes, they are ultimately not making the species as great as it could be. (Gene variety, gene competition etc etc). So, gay marriage should be discouraged. By allowing gay marriage you do not discourage it..which ultimately hurts the whole species.
    Awesome. Another F masquerading as an NT. The world is overpopulated, so homosexuality actually does serve a viable biological purpose indeed. There's no risk at the moment of the human race dying out for CENTURIES, unless someone drops nuclear bombs or a huge meteor hits the earth or the sun dies out.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Because divine low does not entail such a thing?
    Actually I'm arguing from the perspective of Natural Law, and under which the state has the obligation of upholding public morality and promoting virtue as opposed to vice.

Are you against traffic laws, too?
    Let's try to stick with gay marriage here.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Actually I'm arguing from the perspective of Natural Law, and under which the state has the obligation of upholding public morality and promoting virtue as opposed to vice.
    Where can I read the text of the natural law?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Peguy - how is homosexual marriage a vice? If anything marriage seems more virtuous than randomly cruising having one night stands, straight or gay.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Peguy - how is homosexual marriage a vice?
    Homosexual acts are a vice, since they violate the ultimate purpose and essence of the sexual act. There's no need for the state to bestow official recognition for such.

If anything marriage seems more virtuous than randomly cruising having one night stands, straight or gay.
    I agree that marriage is better than one-night stands. However, as I explained earlier, the essence of marriage is the union of male and female for purposes of procreation and upbringing of children.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Where can I read the text of the natural law?
    Here's a sufficient introduction:
    http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09076a.htm