User Tag List

First 11192021222331 Last

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    If you have something, and someone else doesn't have something, but you have the ability to share that something to the person who doesn't have it, are you obligated to give it to them to remain morally just?
    No. But laws are not the same as an individual sharing something with another, laws should be held to a way higher level when it comes to equality.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I wonder what would happen if I ran a white Christian male pride parade [...] with white people enslaving people of other races [...]
    This:

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    No. But laws are not the same as an individual sharing something with another, laws should be held to a way higher level when it comes to equality.
    But the law is still tangible, it could still be perceived as an asset if it acts as a resource favoring some people, but not others. Being a law does not offer enough to change the perception in all cases. Based on the value of a law as it pertains to each individual, one could either see it as positive or negative, and to varying degrees. Why wouldn't we emulate in our lives what the law implies if the law is held at a higher level? I would presume that this is a consequence of the perceived value of the law under examination.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Since the State concerns itself with marriage there is no way to get around the fact that denying marriage to one segment of the population is discriminatory. The only way I can see this working out is if the federal government removes itself from the electorate's personal decisions(which they should) and focuses on the functions set forth in the Constitution. If there are laws prohibiting homosexuals from marriage there should be no law granting heterosexuals the right to marry. By allowing the State or states to decide, wholly, the legitimacy of such a personal matter they deny rights that exist and create rights where none existed. Let the State worry about the State, let religions, cultures and individuals worry about marriage. Maybe civil unions for all are the way to go.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Let the State worry about the State, let religions, cultures and individuals worry about marriage. Maybe civil unions for all are the way to go.
    That would be super. Things like legal rights shouldn't be connected to a religious ceremony (imo). I'd be fine with civil unions for all. Too bad it hasn't always been like that.

I guess there's a cultural aspect where "marriage" is considered something special beyond the practical/legal rights, though. I don't feel much of that myself but I can understand why some might. And, a lot of religious folk get veerrry upset at the prospect of separating the legal marriage from the religious marriage aspect, for some reason.

Then again, while "marriage" started religious, it's now very secular overall (vegas, anyone?). Atheists get married all the time. If Christians get to take Christmas from the pagans and it's all cool, why is it not ok for the state to take marriage from religion? I guess mostly because Christianity has many more members, and far more vocal ones.
    -end of thread-

Ginkgo

Let them get married. Alot of the anti-gay values being thrown around in this thread are arbitrary, and even self-admittedly divorced from reality.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I know this is off-topic, but every time I hear someone talk about "attacks on Christmas", I'm tempted to point out that:
    - the holiday is pagan in origin
    - there is no reference to it in the Bible
    - Protestants refused to celebrate it for centuries because they knew of its pagan origin
    - the current version of "Christmas" was created in the 19th century as a commercial holiday (at first, churches didn't even recognize it)

So please don't act like Christmas is some sort of sacred Christian holiday. It's not and it never has been.
    Yes, it is pagan. It was designed by the early Christians to compete with the Roman holiday of Saturnalia. The day on which it was established wasn't even intended to correspond with Christ's birth. (It was established by Christians, but it was never really official or even accepted by all).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    If you have something, and someone else doesn't have something, but you have the ability to share that something to the person who doesn't have it, are you obligated to give it to them to remain morally just?
    If this is about you not wanting to share your KitKat bar with me, I'll have to say it will really make you look good to the guy upstairs if you break off a big chocolatey piece for me.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    This:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn_95hdy6Nw"][/YOUTUBE]