User Tag List

First 10181920212230 Last

Results 191 to 200 of 319

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    What underhanded techniques?
    I explained in the same post.. If you are being serious, I seriously need you to buzz off and leave me alone.. forever.. OK?
    If you are being genuine.. Go read my post again.

    Thanks..

    Arc.

  2. #192
    Tier 1 Member LunaLuminosity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    I explained in the same post.. If you are being serious, I seriously need you to buzz off and leave me alone.. forever.. OK?
    If you are being genuine.. Go read my post again.

    Thanks..

    Arc.
    Um, no.

    I've read your posts and some of the things you are saying still don't make sense.

    Just because there is now more than one word for some stuff doesn't mean that there is some though police conspiracy. It's actually quite the opposite.

    Seasons Greetings is only a attack on Christmas in the sense that there is much more awesome stuff in the winter months than those that happen on December 25th. You don't have to acknowledge it but I don't know why you're offended if others do.

    Saying that a picture of a man and woman kissing is offensive to gays is ridiculous though. Sure there are those you are going to label you a monster for something like not automatically agreeing with gay marriage, but that isn't an infringement of your rights. That's probably some crazies harassing you. Both sides have their radicals.

    I don't know that much about the specifics of the government structure of Canada, but I wonder if these 'underhanded techniques' have anything to do with the majority voting against the marriage but the courts overruling it in order to protect the rights of the minority. But that isn't really underhanded, it is called being a republic. I doubt that Canada is a direct democracy.

  3. #193
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Are you okay with civil unions for homosexual people vested with the same rights as marriages?
    No I don't.

  4. #194
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    I've read your posts and some of the things you are saying still don't make sense.
    Yes I know .. some of them don't make sense to you. Which is why I am now tired of the circular go nowhere argument that I am embroiled in.

    Someone pointed out that all my arguing is going on with T's and all my debating is going on F's.. Rereading the thread..
    I find this assessment to be pretty accurate.

    It is apparent .. that for whatever reason.. NT's and I have serious communication issues. (not just this thread)
    We are too quick to polarize and disregard what the other is saying because, You polarize on the details and I polarize on the big picture.
    It's classic MBTI..

    NT's are emotionally invested in their beliefs too.. they just seem completely unaware of it. Or perhaps, they neglect to consider how much of an influence they play in everything.

    Maybe you are just joining this thread.. But me personally.. I have said enough.. and I do not think any more progress can be made at this time.

    Thank you for your opinions.

  5. #195
    Tier 1 Member LunaLuminosity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    Okay, maybe I am emotionally invested in trying to make sense of all the information I take in.

    And whenever I try to make some sense of it together with someone, I am usually ignored.

    I have earlier comments on this thread and have read through almost all of the content of these 20 pages.

    So this may be why you pick up some frustration from me.

  6. #196
    Senior Member LEGERdeMAIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    I agree with Luna that your posts are incomprehensible. I think you're trying too hard to make your case by going off on all sorts of tangents that have nothing to do with your point(as I perceive it).

    MY Point is.. no one asked me if was for or against gay marriage. They told me I had to be for it or that I was subhuman, a dinosaur or homophobic.
    This is your whole point? The culmination of your posts in this thread is the simple idea that other members are accusing you of being subhuman for not supporting gay marriage? Or...is that only the point of your most recent(and defensive) posts? If it's the latter, could you make another post explaining your argument in a single paragraph? It would be fantastic if you could because I'm having trouble separating what you think is integral to your argument and what is not.

    From what I've gathered it seems you were making an attempt to say why gay marriage is wrong. I don't care about your personal beliefs, but I do think you've wasted your time here by failing to construct a legible argument.
    Last edited by LEGERdeMAIN; 01-24-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: No edit: just note how I was heading in a direction in the first sentence of the last paragraph and failed to follow through
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”


  7. #197
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Actually, Happy X-Mas, Seasons Greetings or happy X-Mas is an attack on Merry Christmas.
    I know this is off-topic, but every time I hear someone talk about "attacks on Christmas", I'm tempted to point out that:
    - the holiday is pagan in origin
    - there is no reference to it in the Bible
    - Protestants refused to celebrate it for centuries because they knew of its pagan origin
    - the current version of "Christmas" was created in the 19th century as a commercial holiday (at first, churches didn't even recognize it)

    So please don't act like Christmas is some sort of sacred Christian holiday. It's not and it never has been.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  8. #198
    Senior Member Forever_Jung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    don't act like Christmas is some sort of sacred Christian holiday. It's not and it never has been.

    I don't think Arc is and I don't think that's the point. Just because Christmas isn't Christian in origin doesn't mean it hasn't taken on significance to Christian culture. If a cultural value/event/whatever doesn't have the "proper" historical pedigree it suddenly has no value and you have the right to compromise/eliminate it?

    I think the basic message was, why should the majority have to apologize for existing? As long as they respect the minority's culture/values/etc the minority should respect the majority's cultures/values/etc.


    I am reminded of an article on The Onion: Gay-Pride Parade Sets Mainstream Acceptance Of Gays Back 50 Years. Here are a few excerpts:

    Timothy Orosco, 51, a local Walgreens manager whose store is on the parade route, changed his attitude toward gays as a result of the event.

    "They kept chanting things like, 'We're here, we're queer, get used to it!' and 'Hey, hey, we're gay, we're not going to go away!'" Orosco said. "All I can say is, I was used to it, but now, although I'd never felt this way before, I wish they would go away."
    "After centuries of oppression as an 'invisible' segment of society, gays, emboldened by the 1969 Stonewall uprising, took to the streets in the early '70s with an 'in-your-face' attitude. Confronting the worst prejudices of a world that didn't accept them, they fought back against these prejudices with exaggeration and parody, reclaiming their enemies' worst stereotypes about them and turning them into symbols of gay pride," Thorne said. "Thirty years later, gays have won far greater acceptance in the world at large, but they keep doing this stuff anyway."

    "Mostly, I think, because it's really fun," Thorne added.

    The Los Angeles Gay Pride Parade, Thorne noted, is part of a decades-old gay-rights tradition. But, for mainstream heterosexuals unfamiliar with irony and the reclamation of stereotypes for the purpose of exploding them, the parade resembled an invasion of grotesque outer-space mutants, bent on the destruction of the human race.
    Source: http://www.theonion.com/articles/gay...e-of-gays,351/

    Anyway, as explained in the article, the pride parade is supposed to reclaim stereotypes to explode them. I wonder what would happen if I ran a white Christian male pride parade and ironically have floats with white people enslaving people of other races and treating women unfairly? I am merely reclaiming the stereotypes to explode it, therefore furthering the cause of understanding equality. Maybe I don't like to be stereotyped. I didn't do anything wrong, nor did I have the intention/secret desire for people to die/be oppressed. I shouldn't have to apologize for anything.

    I live in a capital city now, so things are pretty liberal. In fact, I live in the gay capital of my province. These gay activists have gotten what they wanted, the gay community is accepted by the society and given equal rights: But they still don't shut up and demand that the public expression of heterosexuality is offensive to them and all this bullshit. It doesn't matter how mild this expression of heterosexuality is. Meanwhile I have to watch some asshole with a thousand piercings waggle his junk in my face because I am somehow oppressing him. And I can't fill out some silly Valentine's day matchmaking survey because it presumes one is straight? Christ you guys, pick your battles. I didn't have a problem with you until now. It just seems like people are just looking to take their anger out on me and use this bullshit excuse of it being some righteous quest. Even if it doesn't concern them:

    I am Acadien. While in class, I made a joke about Acadien french being unrefined compared to Parisian french. It was pretty mild, and a similar joke I have heard many members of my family make. I was torn to shreds by many non-Acadien classmates for being disrespectful. Even my anglophone prof berated me in front of the entire class for being insensitive. A few Acadiens who were in the class approached me after and told me they thought it was funny but they didn't say anything because they were afraid of getting chewed out by the self-righteous Human Rights Majors in the class.

    My shitty school's motto is "Think For Yourself", which is laughable, because they basically just teach dogma and pump out PC attack dogs.

    How is any of this democratic?

  9. #199
    Senior Member Fan.of.Devin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Twenty pages so far with hardly any on-topic discussion...

    Cool story bros.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

  10. #200
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    I'll start the discussion

    If you have something, and someone else doesn't have something, but you have the ability to share that something to the person who doesn't have it, are you obligated to give it to them to remain morally just?

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] The Limits of Awesomeness (alternatively, Common ENTP Issues)
    By Qre:us in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 10:23 AM
  2. The issues of fatherlessness.
    By guesswho in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 07-02-2011, 12:40 AM
  3. The Conservative Case for Gay Marriage
    By teslashock in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 02:51 PM
  4. So what's really the big deal about Gay marriage?
    By Sniffles in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 222
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 12:06 PM
  5. Gay marriage, adoption, related issues -- Take 2
    By Zergling in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-10-2008, 01:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO