User Tag List

First 678

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont think the American dream is money, I do think that money and striking it rich became the American dream during the Cold War, for propaganda reasons the establishment wanted to promise everything that was or seemed to them to be contra the commies and their ideas.

To begin with the propaganda battle hinged more on God Fearing Christians versus Godless Commies but over time it sort of went to the lowest common denominator, money, I'd say that this is the capitalist dream though, its very different from what is the American dream proper.

I think the American dream proper is summed up by the Gadsden Flag "Dont Step on Me", is about being left alone, the government and the neighbours staying out of your affairs, that's it, on that score the state and sociey isnt delivering so the dream is pretty elusive but its much more circumscribed a dream than riches, happiness, equality for all etc. etc. etc.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

The way I see it, the 'american dream' is many different things to many different people.

But it seems it started with being a new chance. A clean slate. Away from europe's burocracy and rules. A search for a form of freedom people felt missing.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Default The American Dream and the Aboriginal Dreamtime

There is the American Dream and the Aboriginal Dreamtime.

The most obvious thing about them is that they are both dreams that conceal more than they reveal.

They are the fig leaves worn by Adam and Eve to conceal their shame.

They are a shell game where you are told to keep your eye on the Dream and under no circumstances are you to wake up.

And if you inadvertently awake from the Aboriginal Dreamtime, you will be speared. And if by happenstance you awake from the American Dream, you will be branded as Un-American.

The Aboriginal Dreamtime and the American Dream are both dreams of innocence.

And they are both dreamed in the Garden of Eden before we were expelled for eating of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

The Aboriginal Dreamtime and the American Dream know no evil. Indeed evil comes mysteriously from the outside. And so it is always someone else to blame.

So revenge is American as apple pie, and as Aboriginal as the kangaroo.

MBTI
    ENTP

I like it, Victor.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Personally I think the "American Dream" is about gaining personal independence and wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Just for the record I am from Eastern Europe.

To me "American dream" as it is looks like a fairy-tale. By this I mean that American dream is something that is unachivable. Especially since it contains a huge amount of illogicality in its core.

I presume that it would be nice if I were to post more details ?
    Yes, I would like to hear you expand on your beliefs about the "American Dream".

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont think the American dream is money, I do think that money and striking it rich became the American dream during the Cold War, for propaganda reasons the establishment wanted to promise everything that was or seemed to them to be contra the commies and their ideas.
    No, you're going to have to go back further in history... like for example the Georgia Gold Rush of 1829 (when "Indian Removal Act" was ennacted to obtain gold rich, Native land which was then followed by the "Trail of Tears"), the California Gold Rush of 1848, the Colorado Gold Rush of 1858, the Holcomb Valley Gold Rush of 1860, and the Alaskan Gold Rush of 1897. I'm going to take a wild west guess that the "American Dream" in the 1800's had a lot to do with gold. Hmnn... Americans are still fond of get rich quick schemes aren't they? //Afterthought.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.