User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

The American Dream will one day destroy us all.

Wanting a better life is a double-edged sword. All wealth is built of theft and oppression.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Care to expand on your thoughts?
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Son of the Damned View Post
    The American Dream will one day destroy us all.

Wanting a better life is a double-edged sword. All wealth is built of theft and oppression.
    That first part can be vaguely proven with a couple small details. For instance: A nice lawn. What goes into having a nice lawn? Pesticides/weed killers, frequent use of another smaller internal combustion engine, Lost ground that could have been a garden instead, water use for other than need, ect. All for what? looks.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

The "American" dream is based on having a better life, or working towards it in the material sense. Its based on the size of your house, car, income, lifestyle and consumer habits. Thus, in order to have the resources to make these things possible, they must be taken from others. People become slave workers, to service the endless needs of a privileged few that gets the better life.

The American dream has a price, to be paid in the blood and toil of the workers who make it possible.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    What goes into having a nice lawn? Pesticides/weed killers, frequent use of another smaller internal combustion engine, Lost ground that could have been a garden instead, water use for other than need, ect. All for what? looks.
    Certainly that is he conventional notion of a "nice" lawn...personally I've never wanted to be a lawn slave. I'm with you, make it productive. Grass is for golf courses.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Quote Originally Posted by Son of the Damned View Post
    The "American" dream is based on having a better life, or working towards it in the material sense. Its based on the size of your house, car, income, lifestyle and consumer habits. Thus, in order to have the resources to make these things possible, they must be taken from others. People become slave workers, to service the endless needs of a privileged few that gets the better life.

The American dream has a price, to be paid in the blood and toil of the workers who make it possible.
    I don't necessarily disagree with you...but what is, if any is your definition of the American Dream for you? Or do you feel that it is unachievable? The American Dream has often been proscribed, "keeping up with the Jones's" or Rothchild's or other DAR descendants....There are lifestyles outside of the obvious, easy to mock and ostensibly shallow options that we are spoonfed from birth....Does your vision of fulfillment exist within our borders?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I dunno about anyone else, but the American Dream is something I'm living right now and I will continue to indulge in it.

I'm working hard, not being discriminated against (mostly..) during my work, I have the freedom to choose the career path I want to take, I'm getting higher education, and looking into the prospect of owning my own home, I own a car, and I have the prospect of retiring comfortably if I play my cards right.. I dunno what more I could truly ask for..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i think the danger of the american dream is that there is this idea that it is an absolute ideal, something that every american should strive for. i do not see how any "american dream" could be so broad as to apply to every american.

although now that i think about it, maybe it works if the american dream is "wanting a better life", if we take that just at face value, and remember that no two people have exactly the same idea of what a "better life" is.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I'm working hard, not being discriminated against (mostly..) during my work, I have the freedom to choose the career path I want to take, I'm getting higher education, and looking into the prospect of owning my own home, I own a car, and I have the prospect of retiring comfortably if I play my cards right.. I dunno what more I could truly ask for..
    This is great! You have in 2009 opportunity...and others in this thread have advanced similar ideas; that we have the opportunity to achieve our goals. It seems that those goals are not as diverse as one might expect, yet we still have the chance....Yet your opportunities had to be struggled for? Would you agree? Can you envision your personal American Dream being realized by another equally motivated woman in say 1809? 1909?

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    i do not see how any "american dream" could be so broad as to apply to every american.
    Neither do I...yet it seems to with regularity. What is your ambition and do you feel that the system as it is currently configured allows you to achieve it?