User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Maybe they're against this because your analysis is bullshit. That's just a thought.
    Actually, I find her(his?) comment interesting... Because I was raised by an ENTJ and had very similar parenting to this. (Also, Im not Asian nor are either of my parents.) I played 4 instruments by the time I was 6 years old. I was given extra homework/tests when I got home from school because my parents felt that public school did not assign enough work. I was sent to a 'boarding school' type enrichment school every summer that was designed for 'gifted students'. I wasn't allowed to watch TV unless they were documentaries.

I never had my toys threatened to be taken away like them, but I had some punishments that other people have expressed that they find very odd. For example, my handwriting was very poor and messy. My stepfather would make me rewrite my assignments, sometimes 6-7 times until I did them neatly enough. If I continued to write poorly he would open up a dictionary and make me copy entire pages until I managed to form my words perfectly.

I'm interested why yenom thinks this is ENTJ-specific, and why you are so vehemently opposed to that idea, Lateralus.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Haven't read the book so it's impossible to pass fair judgment. But from what I know of how Asian children are raised, I'd rather abort than raise my children the same way.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    Her methods do seem horribly strict (understatement), yet if the result is a well behaved and technically skilled robot then what's there to complain about?
    Fixed your post.

By typical Western cultural standards, much of this is child abuse. I''m not convinced that her "results" justify her means. Her kids aren't better human beings than kids raised in happy households, and I bet they're a lot more emotionally damaged. Big deal, they can play the piano perfectly and do math equations until they drop. Does that make them better, or even more successful than kids who can't, or don't do that?!

I thought it was interesting that (at least in this excerpt) she seems to have stormed over her husband's wishes in how to raise children. When he protests, she just tells him "don't be ridiculous, I'm doing it my way". Sounds like a charmer.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I'm interested why yenom thinks this is ENTJ-specific, and why you are so vehemently opposed to that idea, Lateralus.
    I think it's bullshit because there's no such thing as an ENTJ style of parenting any more than there are ISTJ political views or ENFP food preferences. I was short with my response because I didn't think it deserved more than one line. Unfortunately, lack of understanding has forced me to waste more time on this absurd notion.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

My apologies for wasting your precious time.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Takeru
    That is if her kids end up not being emotionally scarred. Like you said, her strictness is an understatement, it is like stuffing everything down her kid's throat.

I get that she is there with her child to get something right (even if it takes all night... which is something I find very positive about this,) but too much is too much, let her kid at least have something she finds fun... even if it is a school play, T.V., or video games for her hard work in getting her straight As and playing her instrument.

In this case, I would be strict with those kids, but I would also allow them to have something they find fun for getting straight A's and playing the violin or piano many times better than others.
    Very true, work and study should be balanced with play and freedom.

Originally posted be Randomnity
    By typical Western cultural standards, much of this is child abuse. I''m not convinced that her "results" justify her means. Her kids aren't better human beings than kids raised in happy households, and I bet they're a lot more emotionally damaged. Big deal, they can play the piano perfectly and do math equations until they drop. Does that make them better, or even more successful than kids who can't, or don't do that?!

I thought it was interesting that (at least in this excerpt) she seems to have stormed over her husband's wishes in how to raise children. When he protests, she just tells him "don't be ridiculous, I'm doing it my way". Sounds like a charmer.
    Good point. Perhaps having a child excel in certain activities is pointless when their childhood has been stolen from them.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I change my mind, this Tiger Mother is a royal bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I think it's bullshit because there's no such thing as an ENTJ style of parenting any more than there are ISTJ political views or ENFP food preferences. I was short with my response because I didn't think it deserved more than one line. Unfortunately, lack of understanding has forced me to waste more time on this absurd notion.
    If Amy Chua is not an ENTJ, I'll go drop my pants and walk down the street.

I read the time magazine article, and everything about her personality points to entj.

So suck it Lateralus.

BTW, I am Chinese
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

She's either an ENTJ or ESTJ, definitely a ruthless Te dom, enneagram 1 with her perfectionist tendencies as well (can't be certain if she's more 9 or 2 though, depends on her exact reasons for her parenting methods beyond creating slave children).

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by yenom View Post
    If Amy Chua is not an ENTJ, I'll go drop my pants and walk down the street.

I read the time magazine article, and everything about her personality points to entj.

So suck it Lateralus.

BTW, I am Chinese
    This is a different argument than you were making earlier, but it's equally invalid.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I'd simply wait until I got older, then demand that she prove herself, and do everything better than me. If she can't, she either doesn't care, or she's incapable, which means she based her parenting style on at least partially incorrect theory. After all, if she's trying as hard as she can, she'd be successful.

Kind of funny, but she couldn't complain once that she didn't raise me to be a manipulative, cutthroat bastard.

This isn't to say that she doesn't raise solid points. Many American parents do excessively coddle their kids, our educational standards are shit, and many persons are raised without basic social skills. However, being an overly demanding parent teaches just that- that you popped the kids out, and that means not only duty, but an automatic entitlement of some sort of another. It doesn't matter if you're a parent, if you don't act like one, you're not entitled to anything related- from your child, society, or anyone or anything else.