First 1234 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Her methods do seem horribly strict (understatement), yet if the result is a well behaved and culturally rich child then what's there to complain about? I mean granted that the child isn't emotionally scarred, then it seems like a trade-off of fun yet spioled children for perfect yet stern children, which has its pros and cons, especially when compared to the raising methods of other cultures.

This has been all over the TV news. Any 'mother' who would tell her kids, "I'm going to take all your stuffed animals and burn them if you don't do X" is an emotional blackmailing, witch.
    The future is for the unafraid.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I never got the whole thing with Asian moms making their kids be violinists, though.
    [youtube="mtpsZTwFB_Y"]Asian fiddle music[/youtube]

MBTI
    ENFJ

I'm saying if you want to force your child to be a good musician, violin doesn't make any sense. Flutes and clarinets, because of the structure of an orchestra, are self-reinforcing. In a violin section, it's surprisingly easy to slack off.

I don't know, my childhood was strange. My parents didn't usually be strict at enforcement or punishment because I was very strict on myself, so they didn't have to do anything at all.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFJ

I suppose it makes sense to push your children, but the such extreme focus doesn't make any sense to me.

For example, I was listening to two girls talk before my French final. They were talking about how to find scholarships. One of the girls' advisors asked the girl, "well, what do you really love to do?" They meant, you know, extracarriculars. Sports, an instrument, dance, etc. And the girl said she couldn't think of anything. Not that she wasn't good at anything but that she didn't like anything.

And that, to me, was kind of sad.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I totally agree that we are pressed to raise kinds in a way that is unfeasible and creates spoiled brats, but Chua's approach is just as bad, only on the other end. If it was popular to do things her way, we'd have boat load of problems all the same.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    Her methods do seem horribly strict (understatement), yet if the result is a well behaved and culturally rich child then what's there to complain about? I mean granted that the child isn't emotionally scarred, then it seems like a trade-off of fun yet spoiled children for perfect yet stern children, which has its pros and cons, especially when compared to the raising methods of other cultures.
    That is if her kids end up not being emotionally scarred. Like you said, her strictness is an understatement, it is like stuffing everything down her kid's throat.

I get that she is there with her child to get something right (even if it takes all night... which is something I find very positive about this,) but too much is too much, let her kid at least have something she finds fun... even if it is a school play, T.V., or video games for her hard work in getting her straight As and playing her instrument.

In this case, I would be strict with those kids, but I would also allow them to have something they find fun for getting straight A's and playing the violin or piano many times better than others.

Sniffles

Leisure is the basis of culture and personal enrichment. "All work and no play."

This is ENTJ (or at least J) parenting to me. I don't see why you ENTJs are so against it?

Its not chinese, its J parenting.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by yenom View Post
    This is ENTJ (or at least J) parenting to me. I don't see why you ENTJs are so against it?

Its not chinese, its J parenting.
    Maybe they're against this because your analysis is bullshit. That's just a thought.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."