User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: Feminism

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I don't see how firefighter isn't a gender neutral term? I certainly wouldn't see the point in replacing a word like soldier with something like, "fighting person." Perhaps I am misunderstanding you, though.
    Mail carrier, firefighter, cop, and soldier seem like gender neutral to me. Mailman, fireman, policeman, and millitary man don't seem gender neutral to me.

Even if over 95% were male in these professions (and I don't think they are), calling everyone in the profession one of the last set of terms is inaccurate when compared to the first set of terms.

Calling a completely anonymous member of these professions by the second set of terms is presumptuous (why I was referring to the fallacy of accident).

Fair enough. I am merely weighing cost and benefit. It seems easy, on the surface, but it would be more effective to just let it fix itself as more women become cops and mailpeople.
    No change, no matter how small, "happens by itself." I was merely pointing out that our language always has been, and will be a tool manipulated by various entities. The fact that a company like Google or a cartoon like "The Simpsons" have changed our lexicon in such short times spans, means that it can be done. Mind you, I am not stating there should be laws or anything like that. Just people thinking up natural sounding gender neutral terms over time to see if they catch-on.

Our only differences aren't physical strength, though. As much as females espouse the fact that they are as strong as men, I have yet to meet a single one who has any respect for a man that they can walk over...whereas males don't have a problem being in control (not to say that we appreciate weakness).
    Well. There is a first time for everything. One of my closer acquaintances in middle school initially seemed like he was whipped (I suspect sex had something to do with it), and the girl seemed to love it. It was he who finally broke it off.

I suspect completely domineering women would have the same problems as completely domineering men.

I have yet to see adults of either gender want to have complete control, or be completely submissive in a relationship.

Yes, and I don't have any problems with that. They obviously have their purpose. Now...would I want my fellow prison guard to be a woman for any reason other than dealing with female inmates? No.
    Initially I was going to say, "What if she was an Olympic Class weight-lifter, could bench-press more than you, and knew several martial arts?"

Still, I see the general common sense of having female guards for female inmates and male guards of male inmates. (Though what do you do about varied sexual orientations?)

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by metamorphosis about CaptainChick
    long scientic post
    It wasn't so much a scientific post as it was one copied and pasted from Wikipedia.

ByMySword

Cool

I have no problem with women being treated equal as men at all. However, there are jobs and things that the MAJORITY of the time, only men can do, and the same goes for women. I don't believe everyone is born equal (meaning no one is exactly the same, and everyone has their strength and weaknesses), but I believe everyone should be treated with respect. I'll just leave it at that.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Well. There is a first time for everything. One of my closer acquaintances in middle school initially seemed like he was whipped (I suspect sex had something to do with it), and the girl seemed to love it. It was he who finally broke it off.
    Just the kind of girl who probably would have cheated behind his back with someone less whipped than him.

Initially I was going to say, "What if she was an Olympic Class weight-lifter, could bench-press more than you, and knew several martial arts?"
    The likelihood of a woman who is anywhere near my height being able to lift more than me without the aid of Testosterone is slim. Obviously every rule has an exception, though.

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal
    It wasn't so much a scientific post as it was one copy and pasted from Wikipedia.
    It was apparent that it was copied. It was an easy way of cutting out the quote.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    It wasn't so much a scientific post as it was one copied and pasted from Wikipedia.
    Very true, it efficiently states what my thoughts on this particular topic are.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    OMNi

Nice.

That's pretty much what I was initially saying. Men and women are inherently different and should act accordingly.
    Well if we went by our closest genetic relatives, the Bonobo chimps, then that inherent difference means that we should be a matriarchal society. After all, they share over 98% of our genetic material without any of our cultural impositions. Wouldn't that make them a good indicator of our "natural differentiation" by which we should act accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Well if we went by our closest genetic relatives, the Bonobo chimps, then that inherent difference means that we should be a matriarchal society. After all, they share over 98% of our genetic material without any of our cultural impositions. Wouldn't that make them a good indicator of our "natural differentiation" by which we should act accordingly.
    I'm speaking based on personal experiences. And I'm not saying that all of our actions should be governed by whatever our DNA says (eventhough, it probably is ultimately). I'm saying that there is no reason for Men and Women to behave -the same-. I'm not saying that men should dominate women in all aspects of life.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Dedicated to nottaprettygal....

Appearances

* On average, men are taller than women (See sexual dimorphism).
    * Men usually have more body hair than women.
    * Men’s skin is thicker (more collagen) and oilier (more sebum) than women’s skin[2].
    * Women generally have a smaller waist in comparison to their hips (see waist-hip ratio).
    * In men, the second digit (index finger) tends to be shorter than the fourth digit (ring finger), while in females the second tends to be longer than the fourth (see digit ratio).
    * On average women tend to have skin that is 3-4% lighter than men[citation needed]. Scientists believe this is an adaptation required for increased production of Vitamin D during pregnancy. Vitamin D is necessary to help the body absorb calcium and deposit it in the bones of fast growing embryos. By having lighter skin more of the sun's UV radiation can penetrate the skin to and increase their ability to produce vitamin D.[1]
    * Women tend to have a lower center of gravity (shorter legs, longer torso, relative to height) and a larger hip section than men[citation needed].

Secondary sex characteristics

* Male
    o abdominal and chest hair, also more hair on other parts of body
    o more facial hair
    o taller stature, on average
    o higher waist to hip ratio, on average
    o broader shoulders and chest, wider than hips[1]
    o heavier skull and bone structure
    o greater muscle mass and strength
    o a prominent Adam's apple and deep voice
    o fat deposits mainly around the abdomen and waist[citation needed] ("apple shape")
    o coarser skin texture
    o on average, larger hands and feet than women[citation needed]
    o lower digit ratio, on average[citation needed]

* Female
    o breasts[2]
    o shorter stature, on average
    o lower waist to hip ratio, on average
    o wider in hips[3]
    o less facial hair
    o higher voice
    o more subcutaneous fat
    o fat deposits mainly around the buttocks, thighs and hips ("pear shape")
    o smoother skin texture
    o higher digit ratio, on average[citation needed]

Reproduction

* Female fertility declines after age 25 and ends with the menopause.[2][3] Pregnancy in the 40s or later has been correlated with increased chance of Downs Syndrome in the children.[4] Men are capable of fathering children into old age, although very recent research points to a possible correlation between a father's age and the inclination to have children with autism.[5]. Adriana Iliescu was reported as the world's oldest woman to give birth, at age 66. Her record stood until Maria del Carmen Bousada de Lara gave birth to twin sons at Sant Pau Hospital in Barcelona, Spain on December 29, 2006, at the age of 67. In both cases IVF was used. The oldest known father was former Australian miner Les Colley, who fathered a child at age 93[6]
    * Men typically produce billions of sperm each month[7], many of which are capable of fertilization. Women typically produce one egg a month that can be fertilized into an embryo. Thus during a lifetime men are able to father a significantly greater number of children than women can give birth to. The most fertile woman, according to the Guinness Book of World Records , was the wife of Feodor Vassilyev of Russia (1707-1782) who had 67 surviving children. The most prolific father of all time is believed to be the last Sharifian Emperor of Morocco, Mulai Ismail (1646-1727) who reportedly fathered more than 800 children from a Harem of 500 women.

Neurological

* On average, male brains have approximately 4% more cells and 100 grams more brain tissue than females do. However, both sexes have similar brain weight to body weight ratios. Men have larger left inferior parietal lobes[7], while women have larger Wernicke's and Broca's areas [8]. Evidence of gender differences in the size of the corpus callosum is ambiguous.
    * Women generally have faster blood flow to their brains and lose less brain tissue as they age than men do. [9]
    * Depression and chronic anxiety are more common in women than in men, due to difference in brain’s serotonin system.[8]

Other health differences

* Women generally have a higher body fat percentage than men. [10]
    * Women usually have lower blood pressure than men, and women's hearts beat faster, even when they are asleep. [11]
    * Men generally have more muscle tissue mass, particularly in the upper body.
    * Men and women have different levels of certain hormones. Men have a higher concentration of androgens while women have a higher concentration of estrogens.
    * On average, girls begin puberty approximately two years before boys.
    * Adult men have approximately 5.2 million red blood cells per cubic millimeter of blood, whereas women have approximately 4.6 million[9].
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    There isn't really a scientific basis in that point, which is so often made.
    Bonobos are our cousins anyway, not our ancestors. They may well have already treaded a different path from ours.

What a love about our closest relatives is that they cover the full gambit.
    Like with the discussion about natural human mating habits.
    Bonobos have sex with everyone, gorillias have male dominated harems, chimps try to do what the gorillas do but it just becomes violent chaos, orangutans are solitary, and gibbons(my favorites) are life long pair-bonders.
    So take your pick. Use any excuse you want.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    Zzzz

Nice.

That's pretty much what I was initially saying. Men and women are inherently different and should act accordingly.
    Act accordingly?--- Prey tell how you can say there should be respect for women and they should have rights to get jobs, but then say they should act accordingly? What IS acting accordingly for you then? By former and current definitions that's meant and still means for women to "stay at home" "be submissive" "look pretty, stay quiet" and so on. I know you'll say you don't believe in that but when you say such things it can imply it for others. This is partly why people have problems transcending what is taught to them or they are educated by memorising the info taught but do not have understanding of that info.

Our only differences aren't physical strength, though. As much as females espouse the fact that they are as strong as men, I have yet to meet a single one who has any respect for a man that they can walk over...whereas males don't have a problem being in control (not to say that we appreciate weakness).
    BDSM. Dommes. Sub men. But one example! You are also generalising women 'espousing the fact' they are as strong as men yet won't respect men if they can walk over him'. Is that fact or just a guess?

Why would some women want to walk all over a man, who knows? Certaintly some men respect women who are strong individuals. It used to be thought those women were not attractive by society. Society changes and now it's attractive. Just as society once thought only macho masucline men were attractive and now there is attraction for more sensitive men.