User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Feminism

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    That doesn't make any sense to me. There were obviously physiological differences to begin with or the males wouldn't have been able to dominate them initially.
    As were there physiological differences for other animals but humans domesticated them to suit their needs.

It was a reasonable point. I don't want to sift through every word to see if it has some kind of biased connotation.
    If you were put in a position where the words used to describe you were not accurate, wouldn't you feel slighted if you were aware of those connotations?

and I missed this earlier:
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphy
    As long as people know that all mailmen are not male, then it doesn't matter how they initially associate it in their brain.
    After birth, children mimic the people/things surrounding them and cannot dissociate certain terms immediately. If it were so easy to discern as not everyone, not even a third, will be taught to correct those misnomers nor care to as most people pattern themselves and either refuse to change or find it hard to change. It's as when people criticise a person for staying in an abusive relationship. The third party observing can discern that it's unhealthy for that victim and wonder why abused people allow it to happen by staying? Those abused people likely were psychologically alerted over time into that situation and it becomes hard to change even if they are aware they are being hurt and it's wrong.

Annnnnd, you always claim people are too stupid and that you should think/decide things for them, right? So, wouldn't it be that they're beyond stupid in recognising anything outside of what's told to them and not understood by them?

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    I agree with that.

But what I was trying to say with the mailmen example was that I do not associate the word "mailmen" or "mailman" with any gender, its just a word I'm used to saying so it comes out of me the odd time I'm refering to a mailperson.
    The problem is you are a guy, so you can't see the power of those cognitive impressions. Imagine if the world was the other way around. Everyone said mailwomen all the time even though there were men who had the job. Would that make sense to you? What was the immediate impression you had?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    The problem is you are a guy, so you can't see the power of those cognitive impressions. Imagine if the world was the other way around. Everyone said mailwomen all the time even though there were men who had the job. Would that make sense to you? What was the immediate impression you had?
    Errmm.. aren't you male? Where did you get this gift?

Being a white man of gentile blood, I may not have it as bad as others, but I'm really frustated at how everyone wants to tell me that I know no suffering.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Errmm.. aren't you male? Where did you get this gift?

Being a white man of gentile blood, I may not have it as bad as others, but I'm really frustated at how everyone wants to tell me that I know no suffering.
    Who is everyone? I highly doubt everyone thinks that. Perhaps, it's everyone you know of?

What difference is it that males can empathise with females? Females can empathise with males as well. I am such a female. It isn't a gift of any sort. It's being aware, understanding and conscientious when approaching others different than yourself, whether different by sex, ethnicity, age and so onnnn!

MBTI
    infp

I did imagine it and it seems weird and a little funny, actually (a absurdist type humour), but then realize that its just a word that means "person who delivers mail" that happens to have the word woman in it I stopped caring, then stopped imagining. Remember, thats all it is for me, its just a word that happens to have "man" in it but doesn't mean that, even if it once did. Think of the word "window". You don't assume it means "win" or is otherwise associated with victory of any kind, right? Cause its not what it means. Not exactly the same, but I think it demonstrates what I'm saying.

MBTI
    INTJ

Good point. But it is really impossible for us to tell without taking the word of females. They were brought up hearing these terms and may not even think anything about it.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Given the current ratios of males/females in universities around the world and the inevitable takeover of the world by all these highly-educated women, I make a conscious effort to stay a nice, subservient little boy-toy to avoid making any enemies so my head isn't rolling after the revolution.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Sexual dimorphism

Sexual dimorphism (two forms) refers to the general phenomenon in which male and female forms of an organism display distinct morphological characteristics or features.

Sexual dimorphism in humans is the subject of much controversy, especially relating to mental ability and psychological gender. (For a discussion, see biology of gender, sex and intelligence, gender, and transgender.) Obvious differences between men and women include all the features related to reproductive role, notably the endocrine (hormonal) systems and their physical, psychological and behavioural effects.

Such undisputed sexual dimorphism include gonadal differentiation, internal genital differentiation, external genital differentiation, breast differentiation and hair differentiation.

Some biologists theorise that a species' degree of sexual dimorphism is inversely related to the degree of paternal investment in parenting. Species with the highest sexual dimorphism, such as the pheasant, tend to be those species in which the care and raising of offspring is done only by the mother, with no involvement of the father (low degree of paternal investment). This would also explain the moderate degree of sexual dimorphism in humans, who have a moderate degree of paternal investment compared to most other mammals. Biological text books state that humans have a high degree of sexual dimorphism, but closer study by science fiction writer David Brin (2004) has shown that this is not the case.[Full citation needed] Brin also published a popular essay, 'Neoteny: A Paleo-Anthropological Speculation', in 1996.

Comparative and social psychologists[attribution needed] have observed that males and females, in general, differ in the way they carry books while walking. Upon using a classification system of the five common methods of carrying books, a high percentage of females will partially cover their body with the books they are carrying, such as by holding them in front of the chest. Most males carry their books at the side of body, leaving the front uncovered (Jenni, M.A. 1976).[Full citation needed] The most common explanation of this observation is that women typically have less upper body strength than men, making it difficult to balance, and resulting in the need to rest the objects they are carrying on their bodies. Some psychologists hypothesize that it is a maternal instinct in many women causing them to carry inanimate objects in a protective manner.[citation needed]

The brains of many animals, including humans, are significantly different for males and females of the species.[5] Both genes and hormones affect the formation of many animal brains before "birth" (or hatching), and also behaviour of adult individuals. Hormones significantly affect human brain formation, and also brain development at puberty. Both kinds of brain difference affect male and female behaviour.

In 2006, Alexandra M. Lopes and others published that:
    “ A sexual dimorphism in levels of expression in brain tissue was observed by quantitative real-time PCR, with females presenting an up to 2-fold excess in the abundance of PCDH11X transcripts. We relate these findings to sexually dimorphic traits in the human brain. Interestingly, PCDH11X/Y gene pair is unique to Homo sapiens, since the X-linked gene was transposed to the Y chromosome after the human–chimpanzee lineages split.[6] ”

Although men have a larger brain size, even when adjusted for body mass, there is no definite indication that men are more intelligent than women. In contrast, women have a higher density of neurons in certain parts of the brain. However, difference is seen in the ability to perform certain tasks. On average women are superior on various measures of verbal ability, while men have specific abilities on measures of mathematical and spatial ability.

Richard J. Haier and colleagues at the universities of New Mexico and California (Irvine) found, using brain mapping, that men have more than six times the amount of gray matter related to general intelligence than women, and women have nearly ten times the amount of white matter related to intelligence than men (Haier, Rex E Jung and others, 'Structural Brain Variation and General Intelligence', NeuroImage 23 (2004): 425–433). "These findings suggest that human evolution has created two different types of brains designed for equally intelligent behavior," according to Haier. Gray matter is used for information processing, while white matter consists of the connections between processing centers.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Feminism, bleh!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    long scientificy post
    Nice.

That's pretty much what I was initially saying. Men and women are inherently different and should act accordingly.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume