User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Thread: Feminism

Women in the military...

While I don't like the idea of women being shot to bits in combat and think they shouldn't stoop to men's level by participating in war, I guess we have to let them join.

However, I think that if women are going to be in the military they should be segregated for their own protection. The amount of rape and assault against women in the military is insane. Grunts aren't exactly the most enlightened men in the world. Probably should have gay and lesbian regiments too if they can't keep quiet about it.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Probably should have gay and lesbian regiments too if they can't keep quiet about it.
    I've always found it funny that while British soldiers in Iraq can serve as openly gay, their American counterparts who are serving in Iraq cannot. It seems to be evident that we aren't the enlightened country we claim to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Feminism: An unnecessary compartment of complaint fileage. This concept of feminism is unnecessary if society has sense of common ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Anytime!

At what point do you guys think feminism stops being about feminism and starts just being a basic sense of justice. Obviously, all feminism is about justice, but at some point it would get to the point where it was just a specific injustice (i.e. sexual harrasment is a crime, should it be thought of as a crime against women or just as a crime in general?). What I'm really wondering is if you think that eventually considering things feminism or whatever divides things rather than bringing them together. Another example is violence against women -why not just stop violence against everyone, including women? Just an example.
    Mhmm.

IMO, I see the feminism in modern societies as a bunch of nitpicking. When I think north american feminists, I see a mindset that reinforces the "women are bitches" stereotype.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

We were supposed to be talking about feminism right? Justice?

Now...the military?

Military? And what do we intend to do with it?

Military? Justice?

holy shit am I a feeler?

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

First of all, I don't agree with the belief in the equality of the genders. Men and women are not equal, that is not to say I think women are inferior, different but not equal. Men have strengths and women have strengths.

I don't think feminism is any longer relevant to today's society. I feel feminism leads to nothing more than disjointed political philosophies like affirmative action.

Also, most self-described feminists seem to have abandoned notions of equality, and instead focus only on females' rights. A biased devotion that is more akin to chauvinism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    When I think north american feminists, I see a mindset that reinforces the "women are bitches" stereotype.
    Thank you for helping me explain myself:
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    Also, most self-described feminists seem to have have abandoned notions of equality, and instead focus only on females' rights. A biased devotion that is more akin to chauvinism.

holy shit am I a feeler?

MBTI
    GONE

Generally I avoid threads on the 'big 5' political button pushing threads like 'feminism' because, I'll say it, the level of discussion doesn't do for it me. (Especially when Uber or another junior nihilist starts them, hahaahahah)

This is what I will say though:

I always find it funny during debates on 'feminism' how little people acknowledge how feminism and the struggles of people before them has profoundly changed their lives -- for the better. Basically that they have benefitted from activists, reformers, radicals, hippies, movements, HISTORY.

It especially amuses me when women who have most directly benfitted from feminism -- white/educated/middle class women -- seem loathe to acknowledge it or are just oblivious. And men who have more egalitarian views on gender roles attribute that attitude solely to themselves, and don't realize how much of it was externally contributed to by a massive cultural paradigm shift brought about by feminism. And yes, men can, were, are, and will be feminists, too.

It's because feminism has not come far enough that women feel the need to show everyone that they are 1) not feminists and 2) not complaining and 3) have never "benefitted" from feminism and have done everything by "themselves".

And it's exactly because feminism HAS come far that that women can maintain that illusion of utter separation and independence from history and society, have wild opinions, and are entitled to them.

That we can even say 'feminism is so passe, everyone knows those sexist bastards were wrong ' says we have come a long way.

But, politics and change being what they are, everyone gets stuck on this really cartoonish one dimensional stereotyped idea of what feminism is. Like Murphy Brown in the 80s and Sex and the City in the new millenium.

The thing is whether or not people like 'feminism', the heart of feminism whcih is social change for gender equality is always going to press forward. It will just take different forms, especially now that an entire generation (or two) of men and women have been raised with it and women are much more empowered individuals in society.

BTW, I went to a Seven Sisters school. I've been around a lot of entitled, snitty, self-important women. That's saying it nicely. I hated many if not most of my classmates, or at least loathed the school on principle. But when it comes down to it, god bless loud-mouthed bitchy unapologetically ball busting, even shrieking harpy like women who demand service, knock over anyone who gets in their way, and aren't afraid to sue the pants off you for discrimination. Whether or not you like it, and as simplified this justification and problematic the reality of it is -- women like this (atypical docile feminine) help America stay out of the gender dark ages and it keep it more equanimous.

Plus, a lot of my classmates would totally chew up some of y'all haters. It makes me chuckle.

BTW, I'm not a feminist. I'm something much, much more distasteful.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Thank you for attacking my arguments without any justification whatsoever and thereby proving...nothing. This thread has reached the FUBAR level, so I will bid it ado.
    I always think of threads like this as FUBAR from the get go. They're easy to catalyze people on extremes and are completely circular. But sometimes the insults are pretty funny (bad madmin!!)

Oh, and I quoted you because I agree, not because I want to pick on you.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    I did a quick search for threads about feminism but didn't really see anything. If there is already a thread about feminism, please delete this one and link me to the thread

What are your thoughts on feminism? What kind of idealogies do you like/dislike?

I don't really have any particular opinion, other than that it goes without saying that there should be gender equality. I'm a man, by the way.

I've heard some people say that feminism is irrelevant in modern society. What are your opinions on that?

I personally think thats pretty much true, by the way.

And lastly, I've heard people say that feminism has gotten to the point it opresses men. What are your opinions on that?
    To imitate the brother is to neglect the sister.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I always think of threads like this as FUBAR from the get go. They're easy to catalyze people on extremes and are completely circular. But sometimes the insults are pretty funny (bad madmin!!)

Oh, and I quoted you because I agree, not because I want to pick on you.
    Exactly! Good way to phrase it. And sounds like a very catchy slogan for a tasty nutrition supplement. "FUBAR! It's the maker! "

I didn't bother to read through the threads because of said FUBAR get go reason. Apparently I must have missed out on some good insults. Dang.