User Tag List

12311 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Default Jared Lee Loughner: Death Penalty or no?

My .02...

Kill him.

He's not even worth the price of a bullet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarce...ed_States#Cost

"The average annual operating cost per state inmate in 2001 was $22,650, or $62.05 per day; among facilities operated by the Federal Bureau of Prisons, it was $22,632 per inmate, or $62.01 per day."
    Discuss amongst yourselves...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Supposedly it's cheaper to keep prisoners alive than to kill them, but I do believe in the death penalty for extreme cases where the inmate is dangerous not only to society, but is a very real and constant threat to the guards and such who take care of them, the sort of person who will never be rehabilitated and who will probably just keep senselessly killing and killing. It's like putting down a sick animal who one can't keep from attacking the throats of small children.

I'm highly disturbed by the sort of person who randomly shoots. It's just my personal sense of right and wrong, and may have nothing to do with logic, but people who just walk into a crowd and start shooting children and innocent by-standers is really an unbelievable piece of work. It's bad enough to plan to assassinate public figures, but at least there's some coherency there. When someone is the type to just open fire on a crowd with no regard for whom they murder, I'm highly likely to judge that person as being unredeemably insane, even if they aren't "evil."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

You're talking about the appeal process for death row inmates costing a metric shit ton.

I think we need a reform of that process, and of our judicial system, and the litigious nature of its constituents in general.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Our society is excessively litigious, but that's another matter entirely. I could see both sides of the coin, and to discuss this would be completely off topic, because cases unrelated to death row would be mentioned.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I intend this thread to be a discussion for and against the death penalty, specifically whether or how to include it's use on the criminally insane.

MBTI
    STUF

Sure, kill him, in a perfect world without any law.

As for the death penalty in general, do away with it. Revive Roman gladiator fights, profit from turning inmates into a televised sport.
    Whoops.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

In a world without any law? Death penalty exists in more authoritarian countries, so that makes no sense.

If anything the death penalty is more lax than it once was in Western society. 100 years ago you could get hanged for damn near anything.

I think putting people to sleep who will keep harming and killing others is completely logical, unless their condition can be proven to be improved by rehabilitation.

Now, I do think there are too many people in prison right now, and I think poverty leads to crime, and that may explain why there are so many blacks and hispanics disproportionately in prison compared to whites, and why we have such an outrageous number of people in prison for a 1st world Western country with such a relatively low population.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

^ our ridiculous enforcement of drug laws comes to mind.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh of course that too. And the fact that our society would rather imprison people than rehabilitate them when they clearly are sane or intelligent enough to be rehabilitated.

MBTI
    INTj

His actions and the pain he has caused others has earned him a place at the head of the death row queue. The punishment is fair and efficient. We owe him nothing more.