INTP

How disappointing

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    You said something of a similar nature.
    How so? I ask because I think you are making flawed assumptions about my statement colored by your own bias.

There are no natural rights.
    Of course.

I believe it cannot be forfeited. Positive law can bestow such a right and positive law can take it. Yet the thing with positive law is that it is based on nothing more than agreement, acceptance, obedience. So what do we do with people who, through their actions, demonstrate that they do not acknowledge it?
    Your position is impractical. Not everything fits into a nice little theoretical box.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I don't think we should execute the insane. I don't think we should execute anyone, actually, but that's a different argument based on partially different reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    How so? I ask because I think you are making flawed assumptions about my statement colored by your own bias.
    Are you not, in this post, at least implicitly advocating that he should suffer a penalty that prevents him from ever being happy again?

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Your position is impractical. Not everything fits into a nice little theoretical box.
    I know; it is a problem, the solution of which certainly is not to ignore it.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post

As for the death penalty in general, do away with it. Revive Roman gladiator fights, profit from turning inmates into a televised sport.

I bet this would take off like crazy.

MBTI
    INTj

I merely dislike the air of moral righteousness exhibited in this thread, speaking as though Loughner had indubitably forfeited his right to live by killing a few people.
    There are no inherent rights. Society create rights through might. If he refuse to abide by the rules, society owes him no duty of protection. He can be killed if anyone feels like it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Are you not, in this post, at least implicitly advocating that he should suffer a penalty that prevents him from ever being happy again?
    What's wrong with making him unhappy? First you say he shouldn't be killed, and now you're trying to say that he shouldn't even be made unhappy? Do you believe crimes should be punished, at all?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

Punish to what end? Punishment can be functional, or it can be a work of gruesome art, one that speaks a thousand words. I'm more into seeing these curiosities as potential resources, not a burden for us to put on display, but maybe that is merely one of many functions for the deranged.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    My .02...

Kill him.

He's not even worth the price of a bullet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarce...ed_States#Cost

Discuss amongst yourselves...
    Agreed, Sir. I'd prefer he be killed slow and with deliberate motions made to remind him of the fate of each of his victims as his own fate played out before him.
    I'd even consider beating him to the point of death and then letting him heal several times before actually doing him in.
    He is a coward and a disgrace to the human race.
    I spit on him.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Epiphany

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyph_DZa_GQ"]Supreme Court: Death Penalty Is 'Totally Badass'[/YOUTUBE]