User Tag List

Thread: The big society

Default The big society

Is anyone getting really tired of the tory big society yet?

I'm tired of it, in fact I was tired of it before it was their big idea, its just Thatcherism in drag, in fact its Thatcherism in disguise because you can talk about big society but you cant talk about small government because people know that means, no jobs, no money, no NHS, no schools, no universities, at least not at taxpayer expense.

It has really convinced me of some points I read in a book by a radical political economist some time ago that whatever generosity or lack there of which exists in any taxation and spending regime that it is all done with a surplus which leaves the wealth of upper classes essentially untouched.

I think this is an experiment to be honest, the residue of individuals employed at tax payer expense and all the myriad businesses dependent upon those individuals spending their disposable incomes on their goods and services are going to take a massive hit.

The population of unemployed, low waged or entirely without prospects for things like home ownership, savings or anything like that, will expand with nothing other than hope and a prayer to indicate that the private sector will expand to provide employment (at that wage rate? With Germany or other nations without the cultural and other challenges posed by British employees?).

I used to get bugged by most of the old style tory rhetoric about how the market and business men would come to the rescue of everything and essentially all that needed to happen was to cut back the state to nothing besides politicians wages and expense accounts. I was bugged about it but it was honest, all the talk now that neither the state, nor the market is going to rescue things but some vague notion of society coming to the rescue is totally dishonest.

There isnt any religious or cultural or ideological common cause that will compell people to support one another and even if there was that isnt a money tree, you need wealth before you can share it, whether its taxed or given away to charities (which I think is even more wasteful than taxation and spending, you might as well just have a bank notes bonfire in your garden for all the good it'll do).

The Unwieldy Clawed One Array Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

So now they aren't content with raising our taxes and cutting our services, they now want use to do their job for them now. Get lost. Go jump off a bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

The ultimate in bizarre: a cross between an ostrich, a gorilla, and Edward Scissorhands.

I like that now. I like that a lot.