User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Kosovo

MBTI
    istp

Default Kosovo

Do you think Kosovo can be truly independent? Do you think Serbia is likely to "declare war" on Kosovo, or support paramilitary groups? If so, will the UN just sit and watch as usual? Will Kosovo be independent 100 years from now? Is the issue of Kosovo's independence more important by itself, or as a diplomatic problem with Russia, China, and countries with separatist movements on one side and countries such as the USA on the other?

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by 6sticks View Post
    Do you think Kosovo can be truly independent?
    Sure.

Do you think Serbia is likely to "declare war" on Kosovo, or support paramilitary groups?
    No, not if Serbia does not want to be economically isolated if not politically.

If so, will the UN just sit and watch as usual?
    You mean if Serbia goes to war with them? If so, yes. Russia will just veto everything. As a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council Russia reserve the right to veto, or the ability to strike down resolutions with their singular vote.

Will Kosovo be independent 100 years from now?
    It depend if you call being part of the EU independent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    You mean if Serbia goes to war with them?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    It depend if you call being part of the EU independent.
    I would now, but if the EU exists in 100 years it will almost certainly be even more centralized.

MBTI
    ISTP

Serbia isn't going to go to war with them, regardless of what they say...the 16,000 NATO troops there are a pretty big deterrent.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I hope they can be independent.

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

What are the limits to nationalism?
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    OMNi

So I heard the Serbs ransacked our embassy in Kosovo.

Spreading the love baby...spreading the love.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INFJ

I was passing by, and noticed this post, which obviously strikes a chord with me.

On the paper, yes, sure. But economically, politically, and in any other way that really matters, no. They are way too weak and strategically important to ever be truly independent from bigger powers that would want to use them.

Do you think Serbia is likely to "declare war" on Kosovo, or support paramilitary groups?
    Absolutely. I'm not saying it will happen, but they are definitely *likely* to do that. They've done it in almost every single case of a part of Yugoslavia trying to break away from them in the last 15+ years (Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia...)

As my husband sometimes grimly jokes: "Serbia is the only country who ever gained its independence by everyone else separating themselves from it." But there is *always* Hell to pay when a country tries to break free from Serbia...

If so, will the UN just sit and watch as usual?
    As someone else mentioned, Russia is a permanent member of the UN Security Council: that's bound to seriously limit the UN's possibilities of action.

Will Kosovo be independent 100 years from now?
    Again: independent in what way?

By the way: Kosovo is not likely to enter the EU any time soon, for one simple reason: it's a Muslim country. The way things are going, Serbia will enter the EU before Kosovo does - and we all know just how unlikely to happen anytime soon *that* is.

Is the issue of Kosovo's independence more important by itself, or as a diplomatic problem with Russia, China, and countries with separatist movements on one side and countries such as the USA on the other?
    Neither, IMO. This issue is most important in the way it jeopardises the fragile balance existing in the Balkans. Where there is a pissed off Serb, there is a risk of explosion. And this issue has created *millions* of pissed off Serbs...

(Argh - can't figure this out. Third try....)

Sunday February 16, 2008 the Kosovo region of southern Serbia declared its independence from that state. The move prompted great fanfare from the ethnic Albanians who make up the region and stark horror from the nation of Serbia.

What is interesting to me is that despite the US’s “War on Terror” the Bush Administration has backed the move by the Kosovo Parliament. The Prime Minister of the new Kosovo state, Hashim Thaci has been accused of being a terrorist and is/was the head of the Kosovo Liberation Army at one time. The KLA is defined as a terrorist organization by both the United States and the United Nations. (And here we are helping them.) Cheering us along is the usual band of western “super powers” – namely the French and the British.

The list of people opposed to this declaration is much longer: Greece, Russia, Spain and Serbia just to name a few.

To back history up a little bit, Kosovo was the region that NATO got involved in during the late 1990’s. Reports were coming out that the fighting between the Kosovo Liberation Army and Serb security forces was getting out of control. There were stories of terrible things happening on both sides – of Serb Security Forces killing innocents and KLA thugs doing the same. Some of these stories were false. Some of them were exaggerated. This is to be expected of two peoples locked in bitter conflict. The only thing that can really be said for sure is that millions of noncombatants on both sides were fleeing for their lives.

NATO entered the conflict and drove the Serb forces out of the region before moving in to take control themselves. Civilian Serbs fearing their Albanian neighbors they thought would do bad things since they would now have the upper hand. The Serb population was supposed to be encouraged to come back, but instead it dwindled.

UN peacekeepers were brought in to manage the situation. I guess it was believed that the region should be governed by a neutral third party. And it has been this way for the past 9 years.

All of this noted, I think there is a bad precedent being set here. If I remember correctly, Serbia allowed UN peacekeepers into the region partly on the agreement that Kosovo would remain a part of Serbia. They have just been lied too. Now every UN Peacekeeping force that moves in to an area will be looked at with suspicion. And it is understandable why.

It’s also kind of nasty of Kosovo to declare it’s independence while hiding behind international forces that are not supposed to be involved in such conflicts. There is real potential for people who are truly are third party in this fiasco to be injured/hurt in a war that is truly not theirs.

Then you have to factor in the fact that just about every nation on Earth has populations looking to break away from the nations they’re a part of – including the United States, France and England.

How can the United States welcome a nation like Kosovo while denying the Kurds of North Iraq a homeland?

This is going to turn in to a very large mess that will drag on for years in to the future.
    Last edited by Capt. Spalding; 02-29-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: sighs....

MBTI
    ISTP

@Spalding...you know the saying. One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%