User Tag List

12 Last

Default Mark Thomas' peoples manifesto

I was listening to a comedian/satirist who was doing a collecting "proposals" from the audience for a "manifesto" skit and wondered what people would think of some of the proposals, they wherent all adopted and some of them where belittled while others where supported:-

- That anyone unemployed for more than twelve months should be sterilised

- That individuals or entities not entitled to votes should not be able to influence the outcome of elections by donations to political parties

- That politicians should be compelled to use exclusively public services, ie public transport, public schools, public health services if they are going to be voting on and determining those services future

- Public funding for political parties, including individualised "contributions", so you may determine who you wish to fund when you are voting at elections, you do not have to fund parties you are voting for

- That only taxpayers can vote

- That no drugs will be prohibited to the retired and aged, destroying the popularity among young people and on the basis that risks of ruining your health or life diminish as you grow older and closer to death

- That stopping short at the top of a staircase causing pedestrians to collide with one another should be prohibited (some of the audience felt strongly enough to propose the death penalty for this)

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What the fuck is wrong with people...?

Other people keep their compost in the backyard, Lark.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Other people keep their compost in the backyard, Lark.
    I dont understand what you mean but I have noted your tendency to follow my posts with a dislike.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

That's just insane. Not everyone can help the fact they're unemployed. Some people have taken over a year to find a job again after being unemployed and they have done all the right things in their job search. Some have even been former high level professionals and they have resorted to searching for lower level retail jobs just to put food on the table. Some cannot get those jobs because they're too overqualified, don't have the right kind of experience, etc. There is something wrong with our society when hard working, ethical, and intelligent people cannot find any work after months of looking, but that's for another thread.

- That individuals or entities not entitled to votes should not be able to influence the outcome of elections by donations to political parties

Not sure whether I agree with this one or not.

- That politicians should be compelled to use exclusively public services, ie public transport, public schools, public health services if they are going to be voting on and determining those services future

No, again that's insane. You can like both private and public services for different reasons. Why do they have to be mutually exclusive?

- Public funding for political parties, including individualised "contributions", so you may determine who you wish to fund when you are voting at elections, you do not have to fund parties you are voting for

Didn't he mean to say not having to fund parties you're *not* voting for? If so, I'm in support of this idea.

What about people who don't receive income and are thus exempt from taxes. So people who don't earn an income can't vote? This is crazy talk.

- That no drugs will be prohibited to the retired and aged, destroying the popularity among young people and on the basis that risks of ruining your health or life diminish as you grow older and closer to death

So at what age do you have to be for drugs to become legal for you? I could see this causing problems. People claiming to be older than they are to get legal access to drugs.

- That stopping short at the top of a staircase causing pedestrians to collide with one another should be prohibited (some of the audience felt strongly enough to propose the death penalty for this)

Again, there's problems with this. What if you're tired to the point where you feel you just can't take those last couple of steps and you need to rest for a little bit? What if you suddenly get hurt and have to temporarily stop moving? People should be paying more attention to others on the staircase so they're are no collisions. Common sense would say that the person stopping, should let others coming up the staircase know so they can go around. But really, this rule seems trivial in the whole scheme of things. This guy needs to lighten up.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP

Note to self: Abstain from basing public policy off a comedian's drunken audience

MBTI
    FREE

I think all babies should be sterilized from birth. When one wishes to have kids he or she may go to the government to be given a comprehensive physical and mental exam. Should he or she pass, then fertility would be restored.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I think all babies should be sterilized from birth. When one wishes to have kids he or she may go to the government to be given a comprehensive physical and mental exam. Should he or she pass, then fertility would be restored.
    Sometimes I've thought that some kind of ultimate birth control would look like that, it may reduce the amount of people who have children who just arent suitable but at the same time its a lot of power to give the government and would probably be really expensive to run fairly and properly.

It's interesting as a straw poll of opinion, some of them are funny, such as the drugs for the elderly or annoyance at pavement rage thing and others are mean, like the sterilisation one, it got a really big boo but I got the impression too that a lot of the audience where lampooning a certain authoritarian tabloid mindset. Its a strange mix of the democratic and undemocratic.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I was listening to a comedian/satirist who was doing a collecting "proposals" from the audience for a "manifesto" skit and wondered what people would think of some of the proposals, they wherent all adopted and some of them where belittled while others where supported:-

What about housewives and stay-at-home moms (or stay-at-home dads)? Or someone who can't work because of physical disability?

Slippery slope. Leaves out students, first of all, and others who should not be penalized.

lolwut?

These sound like the rantings of an angry, drunk, and/or self-righteous person who isn't thinking clearly.

It's nice for people to let off steam and admit their naughty thoughts. It's another thing entirely to consider this kind of thing real suggestions for how to run a society, unless you're a staunch authoritarian.