User Tag List

First 64654555657 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Ask Peguy, he's a better historian than I am.
    What do I need to comment on exactly?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    What do I need to comment on exactly?
    That the existence of the United States is a testament to the importance of the ownership of firearms, essentially. An interesting argument, to say the least.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    That the existence of the United States is a testament to the importance of the ownership of firearms, essentially. An interesting argument, to say the least.
    I don't quite understand this, can you elaborate a bit more?

MBTI
    INTP

I don't quite understand this, can you elaborate a bit more?
    I didn't quite understand it either, thats why they want to defer to you

Sniffles

The 2nd Ammendment was basically a compromise born out of disputes about who would ultimately command the militia - the Federal government or the states. To serve in the militia, it was required(especially with the Militia Act of 1792) for citizens to provide their own arms. So in order for citizens to partake in the militia they needed their own arms, and in order to provide their own arms they needed to be able to legally own them.

MBTI
    INTP

And all 18-45 year-old males make up the unorganized sector of the militia, yes?

The 2nd Ammendment was basically a compromise born out of disputes about who would ultimately command the militia - the Federal government or the states. To serve in the militia, it was required(especially with the Militia Act of 1792) for citizens to provide their own arms. So in order for citizens to partake in the militia they needed their own arms, and in order to provide their own arms they needed to be able to legally own them.
    DiscoBiscuit surely did not want to hear that.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    And all 18-45 year-old males make up the unorganized sector of the militia, yes?
    Yes.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    DiscoBiscuit surely did not want to hear that.
    Probably not what he wanted to hear. However this doesn't necessarily invalidate the right to bear arms. It just sets it on a different, and I would argue more proper, standing. I already argued much of this earlier in the thread.

Smile Hearts and Minds

The problem is how to resist USA power in a peaceful and democratic fashion.

We have succeeded in two out of three attempts.

First we banned guns in 1996 peacefully and democratically, and second in 1999, we rejected a USA style Presidency and voted to keep the Queen of Australia.

Our third attempt of freedom from the USA failed. We tried to start our own movie industry with government help but the USA threatened us by saying they would crash our economy if we set up a government sponsored movie industry.

However the USA were generous. They told us, although we couldn't have our own movie industry, we could send our movie stars and our directors to the USA to make propaganda movies. And that is why today we see our movies stars and directors working in Hollywood.

It is instructive though to see how sensitive the USA is about its soft power, the propaganda power of Hollywood. The USA is so sensitive they will even threaten an ally who is the only country in the world who has supported them in every major conflict for the last 100 years.

We see this propaganda struggle going on here in front of us. It's more important than guns. It is more important than even the Presidency, for the prize is the control of hearts and minds.