User Tag List

First 345671555 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Sometimes we do more damage when persuing ideals. If I sound like I'm just commenting on how things are and not stating an opinion, it's because that's exactly what I'm doing. My body reacts violently to the idea that I should trust it and that it should have powers that are above or not controlled by it's citizens. And it reacts against the idea that it should be responsible for my personal safety.
    People really trust the police that little there?
    If there's anything I've learned, the best a government can do is find out who killed me after the fact.
    But you have to admit there is a certain amount of paranoia in this. In the US, there appears to be an unreasonable level of fear of death by violent attack, relative to the statistical likelihood of it.

But my mind is still open to better ways. But, the (general) European way will just not work here, that's certain.
    Would you care to elaborate?
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I wonder how many lifes people are willing to pay in order to preserve just a symbol. This goes for cars too, btw. It would be a lot more practical and save lifes and money to not have cars around. Only public transport. But, cars are symbols as well...
    This is where I cut out. Mostly I'm just truth finding here, and this is all I have. A lot of what is worth living for vs people's lives is almost entirely decided culturally. I'm not exactly sure how to weigh that sort of a decision.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    A big part of owning a weapon is that you have to be willing to use it to defend yourself. Some people don't have that in them really (well, I think everyone really has that in them, but some people need to be more cornered than others).

But a lot of people ascribe magical powers to guns, for sure, like a talisman. Some people are also really really nervous around them, even unloaded and among friends.

I'm not the type to fight with people (I've been threatened to be stabbed, for instance, and simply walked away quietly). But part of responsible weapons (knife gun baseball bat whatever) use is knowing when to draw it and when to NOT draw it. That's tough to say sometimes.

For me, I'd feel better about having it around, but I'm not really pressed at this point to get one. However, I do keep it in mind.
    The reason why my grandfather taught me to shoot a gun is because we lived way out in the middle of no where (like seriously I'm trying to remember where the nearest hospital and police station was in proximity to our house) and he went out of town sometimes for work and wanted me to be able to defend myself.

This kind of thinking is reasonable. Reasonable gun ownership is sane and normal, and it relates to actual statistical probabilities of being attacked and having no one else to defend you.

Reasonable people teach their children to respect guns.

Unreasonable people take their eight year olds to gun shows and allow them to pick up machine guns because they think it's "cool" and then the kid ends up shooting himself or someone else.

Unreasonable people carry multiple guns with them everywhere at all times.

Unreasonable people think they need automatic weapons.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    You live like most people want to live, but not everybody knows how to get there. There are a lot of ways to feel safe. I feel safe without guns, and I don't feel oppressed, but I wouldn't want somebody to tell me that I can't own a useful tool. I almost feel like it is my sacred duty to hunt (I have a personal vendetta against deer), but I can't muster the energy right now. There are a great deal of guns around me, and I can honestly say that I would rather them be here than be absent and outlawed.
    I am in no way opposed to hunting rifles. However, there is a big difference between allowing civilians to own guns designed to kill animals and allowing guns specifically designed to kill people.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Sniffles

I seriously wonder if the real argument going on here is about guns or just another excuse to knock on Americans.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Police are infamous for their abuse on the general populace throughout the USA

Largest Street Gang in America has some level of truth to it, though I imagine it has more to do with angst than anything

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It's not that so much, but that it goes against an ideal of self-reliance. And this is where we start talking about me, and not just Nebraskans. No, I don't trust police anymore than I trust a random guy on the street when my personal concerns are involved.

But you have to admit there is a certain amount of paranoia in this. In the US, there appears to be an unreasonable level of fear of death by violent attack, relative to the statistical likelihood of it.
    Crime rate is low where I live. I don't see a lot of fear in my everyday life about this. And places where there is, it has to do with socio-economic conditions.

Would you care to elaborate?
    Because guns are a part of American culture. To decide to restrict them as they do in, say, the UK could be politically infeasable/impossible. It would be interpreted by a large amount of Americans as an attempt to disenfranchise them.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I seriously wonder if the real argument going on here is about guns or just another excuse to knock on Americans.
    There might be a little tinge of "well in my country" but I think things are going along just fine...

Most the conversation has been gun related and the conversation has morphed into showing international views on the subject. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting with the thread but that's ok, people are keeping their cool about it.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTP

I am in no way opposed to hunting rifles. However, there is a big difference between allowing civilians to own guns designed to kill animals and allowing guns specifically designed to kill people.
    Handguns are almost always significantly more regulated than hunting rifles/shotguns. In several places they are outright banned.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    This is where I cut out. Mostly I'm just truth finding here, and this is all I have. A lot of what is worth living for vs people's lives is almost entirely decided culturally. I'm not exactly sure how to weigh that sort of a decision.
    Sure, it is ok to have the kind of society the people want. If they want guns, then they will have them. My main point is that the logic behind it, that guns make you safer, is bull. I actually don't even believe that most people want guns in order to defend themselves. They want them because, hey, it is pretty fun shooting them. And there's nothing wrong with that as long as they recognize that there are consequences.