User Tag List

First 30383940414250 Last

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Not demonizing guns...I realize there are many methods she might have used.
    Then why does your follow-up focus on preventing her from getting a gun?

Rather than trying to figure out how to keep guns out of the hands of the insane, I should think that we ought to focus on identifying and treating the insane before they decide to kill.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That may be true, but it doesn't add much to the debate. "People kill each other with whatever is handy" isn't a particularly strong response to people who want to institute gun control.
    The usefulness of my reply depends on Redbone's intent. Is she interested in protecting children from being murdered by the mentally ill, or is she merely interested in controlling guns?

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    The usefulness of my reply depends on Redbone's intent. Is she interested in protecting children from being murdered by the mentally ill, or is she merely interested in controlling guns?
    The former, not the latter. Even so, this seems to be a rare event? (not sure of the stats on violence and mental illness)

I agree that the mental illness is an issue, not the guns.

I guess I was asking questions because it seems futile to even try to control this. I don't see how it can be.

I dunno...I'm in a strange mood today and not thinking clearly.

Sorry for the derail

Public awareness campaigns have a notoriously difficult time reaching the mentally ill. How about providing more awareness of the symptoms of depression, schizophrenia, psychotic breaks, etc., and encouraging people to speak up when they notice signs that an acquaintance is displaying worrying signs.
    The purpose of the campaign, of course, would be to prepare the public for a ban on guns, not to prevent the mentally ill from making ill choices.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    The purpose of the campaign, of course, would be to prepare the public for a ban on guns, not to prevent the mentally ill from making ill choices.
    If you have that campaign in the United States, you might foment some organized violence, rather than cut down on random violence. I recommend neither the campaign nor the ban.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

You are part of the target audience of the campaign. It is only natural that you disagree.

MBTI
    ESFJ

You are part of the target audience of the campaign. It is only natural that you disagree.
    Of what would this campaign consist? Banning guns will alienate the majority of the populace, and appeals to authority or logic will fail, especially given the fact that the municipalities in the United States that have the strictest gun control tend to be the most violent. What on Earth would this campaign do to achieve its stated goal?

I would need to take a closer look at the American population and media to answer that.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I would need to take a closer look at the American population and media to answer that.
    As opposed to trying a different tactic than banning guns? Surely there are other harm reduction policies that do not involve repression and will not result in major constitutional challenges/litigation. You're suggesting something that is explicitly illegal and unconstitutional in the United States. The government does NOT have the power to disarm the American public.

As opposed to trying a different tactic than banning guns?
    Perhaps the campaign is so successful that a ban is not even necessary: the people will simply cease to buy and use them.

Surely there are other harm reduction policies that do not involve repression and will not result in major constitutional challenges/litigation. You're suggesting something that is explicitly illegal and unconstitutional in the United States. The government does NOT have the power to disarm the American public.
    The public has the power to change the constitution.