User Tag List

First 234561454 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

You know, one thing that I find really hard to understand. How do guns increase the feeling of security? For me it is opposite. If I had a gun, and could legally take it with me anywhere, I wouldn't dare to do so. I've been to a couple of fights before and some nasty situations, but as I think those situations through, I don't see how the gun would have helped me. In fact, I see it quite probable that I would be dead if I had had a gun with me. The situations were always close encounters, and even if I had the time to take the gun out, then what? I wouldn't have the guts to shoot anyone, so they would have taken the gun from me and shot me... I can see some point in having a gun in the house, but still, I would rather not have it, since there's always the risk of something happening. Someone will get too drunk and steal the key to the locker, or something. Hell, I might even go shoot something for fun myself.

This is not to say I am totally against guns. They have plenty of hunting rifles here and they actually save lifes because the moose population has to stay down or people will die as the animals get into the traffic. But, I don't see the point in making your life safer by bringing a deadly weapon in it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    I was only talking about problems about talking about guns. Did I just type that? *sigh* Yeah, the practicallity is a different issue... but I'm not convinced it's statistically significant.
    Well, see the cultural theme sold with Clint Eastwood and John Wayne was also backed by a peculiar but effective morality that a cowboy doesn't shoot women and children, doesn't fire at innocent people, and that the good guys are heroes with self-control.

I get annoyed as hell with people who won't admit that cultural themes sold on television and in other media affect what people think is "cool" or even right and wrong. Of course, this is most frequently (if not always! I always blame the parents, except in cases of mental illness or drug induced psychosis) also the result of bad parenting and negligence, but ....yeah.

We currently live in an insanely paranoid culture. Not good. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. When people see evil everywhere they start to create chaos themselves.

MBTI
    ENTP

Fact: Most people who will actually kill with a gun, won't kill if they don't have a gun.

Just take a peep at other countries.

Guns are pointless.

Guns are not manly.

People rarely kill eachother if they don't have guns!!!!

What good can come out of guns? Defence? Of other people with guns?!

What good can come out of less/no guns to civilians? Less kills.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    You know, one thing that I find really hard to understand. How do guns increase the feeling of security? For me it is opposite. If I had a gun, and could legally take it with me anywhere, I wouldn't dare to do so. I've been to a couple of fights before and some nasty situations, but as I think those situations through, I don't see how the gun would have helped me. In fact, I see it quite probable that I would be dead if I had had a gun with me. The situations were always close encounters, and even if I had the time to take the gun out, then what? I wouldn't have the guts to shoot anyone, so they would have taken the gun from me and shot me... I can see some point in having a gun in the house, but still, I would rather not have it, since there's always the risk of something happening. Someone will get too drunk and steal the key to the locker, or something. Hell, I might even go shoot something for fun myself.

This is not to say I am totally against guns. They have plenty of hunting rifles here and they actually save lifes because the moose population has to stay down or people will die as the animals get into the traffic. But, I don't see the point in making your life safer by bringing a deadly weapon in it.
    Generally here a gun is a symbol of empowerment, both physically and politically.

I can see where you're coming from, though. Every once in a while while I'm driving, I imagine that all those people who I know from nobody are trusted to wield large machines at high speeds with nothing but a painted line and trust keeping us from chaos. Then I feel happy that people are generally trustworthy.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Fact: Most people who will actually kill with a gun, won't kill if they don't have a gun.

Yes. This is what I mean. If someone comes to rob me, the chances are they will beat me up. I'm still alive. If they have guns, still, it is more probable they will beat me up. If I have a gun as well, then someone will die. And that will most likely be me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Just take a peep at other countries.

Guns are pointless.

Guns are not manly.

Yep. It's easier for a coward to shoot a man in the back or open fire on a crowd than to look a man in the eye and stab him.

MBTI
    INTP

Guns are pointless.
    You lost me

MBTI
    ENTP

Well they're not entirely pointless, they make movies better.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Generally here a gun is a symbol of empowerment, both physically and politically.
    I wonder how many lifes people are willing to pay in order to preserve just a symbol. This goes for cars too, btw. It would be a lot more practical and save lifes and money to not have cars around. Only public transport. But, cars are symbols as well...

MBTI
    XXFP

A big part of owning a weapon is that you have to be willing to use it to defend yourself. Some people don't have that in them really (well, I think everyone really has that in them, but some people need to be more cornered than others).

But a lot of people ascribe magical powers to guns, for sure, like a talisman. Some people are also really really nervous around them, even unloaded and among friends.

I'm not the type to fight with people (I've been threatened to be stabbed, for instance, and simply walked away quietly). But part of responsible weapons (knife gun baseball bat whatever) use is knowing when to draw it and when to NOT draw it. That's tough to say sometimes.

For me, I'd feel better about having it around, but I'm not really pressed at this point to get one. However, I do keep it in mind.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.