User Tag List

First 29373839404149 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    [YOUTUBE="31vm3-BQRJU"]Knob Creek machinegun shoot[/YOUTUBE]

Haven't been yet but I want to go...

A few of my friends have been and had a great time.

PS - whatever starts firing at around 0:57... I want it.
    I showed the YouTube vid about the AA-12 in a grad school class. I forget why, but a good portion of the class fell in love.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story...storyid=171979

A Tampa mother killed her two children. It looks like this woman might have mental issues as well. She used a handgun that she had purchased a few days before the murders.

What in the world can be done about something like this? How can guns be kept out of the hands of a mentally unstable person? What if they're stable when they purchase them and become unstable in the future? How can someone be screened for what they might do?

I don't see any workable solutions for this beyond banning them all together. That would bring additional problems, too. So what can be done? It's discouraging because there doesn't seem to be any way to effectively deal with this.

Start a public campaign to demonize guns.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Start a public campaign to demonize guns.
    Public awareness campaigns have a notoriously difficult time reaching the mentally ill. How about providing more awareness of the symptoms of depression, schizophrenia, psychotic breaks, etc., and encouraging people to speak up when they notice signs that an acquaintance is displaying worrying signs.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post

A Tampa mother killed her two children. It looks like this woman might have mental issues as well. She used a handgun that she had purchased a few days before the murders.
    Awful.

What in the world can be done about something like this? How can guns be kept out of the hands of a mentally unstable person? What if they're stable when they purchase them and become unstable in the future? How can someone be screened for what they might do?
    We screen already beforehand, but very poorly. We can't precog criminal activity like in Minority Report. We have to show vigilance and concern for others at all times, though.

I don't see any workable solutions for this beyond banning them all together. That would bring additional problems, too. So what can be done? It's discouraging because there doesn't seem to be any way to effectively deal with this.
    There will never be "a solution." We can only hope for and plan for improvements. Short of changing human nature, we will always live with horrific violence. Banning guns won't even eliminate guns, as many countries already have experienced.

MBTI
    INTP

A Tampa mother killed her two children.
    This particular crime has very little to do with the debate; even without a gun, it is very easy for parents to kill children. This thread has to do with mass shootings and their relation to the gun debate.

Oberon

...because you would like it so much better if she'd drowned them in the bathtub...

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    ...because you would like it so much better if she'd drowned them in the bathtub...
    That may be true, but it doesn't add much to the debate. "People kill each other with whatever is handy" isn't a particularly strong response to people who want to institute gun control.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    This particular crime has very little to do with the debate; even without a gun, it is very easy for parents to kill children. This thread has to do with mass shootings and their relation to the gun debate.
    True enough. I was just thinking of gun screenings and mental illness since the shootings in Arizona appear to be tied into mental illness.

..because you would like it so much better if she'd drowned them in the bathtub...
    Not demonizing guns...I realize there are many methods she might have used.