Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

haha...you started it!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I tend to think that when Americans talk about Europe they actually mean Britain and perhaps what Britain thinks of as France (but isnt).
    I disagree. What makes you think that? Most Americans I know consider the UK and Ireland to be only sort of European. France, Germany, Scandinavia = "Europe," and Spain, Portugal, Italy, and Greece = "the Mediterranean."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Unfortunately, I am torn on this issue.

Like Marmie D, I was raised around guns...a lot of them. My Dad (an ISTP) was a NRA member and he had hand guns and rifles he used for hunting. So, I didn't think much of them.

But I have seen them used in violence many, many, many times. I get tired of it. Where I live, so many people have been shot and killed. You almost expect to see it on the news at least 2 to 3 times a week. Just this past week, a guy was shot and killed behind a store where I buy car parts at. Right up the road from me, a woman was shot and killed while driving by an intersection. A stray bullet hit her. She was on her way to attend her kids' honor roll ceremony at their school. I drive thought that intersection on my way to the store and I see the memorial her family put up on the side of the road.

It's crazy. Some of it is not even used for crime. People have guns because other people do. Or they get one because so-and-so pissed them off and they're out for some pay-back. There are usually over 100 murders in the city where I live each year and a gun is usually involved.

Now, having said that, if anyone broke into my house--take whatever you want. It's just stuff. If they threatened me or especially my kids, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to shoot. And I'm not going to worry about whether I'm about to take someone's life away. I would feel awful about things coming to a point where this had to happen, though.

I envy anyone that lives in an environment that you don't have to worry about stuff like this.

Smile Pax Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    I envy anyone that lives in an environment that you don't have to worry about stuff like this.
    Yes, we are fortunate to be safe. But it wasn't luck. Our Prime Minister made the announcement to ban guns to a large outdoor assembly. And for the first time in our history our Prime Minister wore a bullet proof vest under his suit.

Your National Rifle Association was unhappy with our political decision to ban guns and even set up a fake political party called, "The Shooters' Party", and flooded us with NRA propaganda. Nonetheless the people of Australia made a democratic decision to ban guns and we did. It was one of our most popular decisions, and remains popular today.

We banned guns in 1996 to stop gun massacres and it has worked as we have had not one gun massacre since. Of course if we have a legitimate purpose for a gun, such as a farmer or a sportswoman or a sportsman, we can get a permit.

What this means is that I don't see a gun from one day to the next, from one year to the next and from one decade to the next, except on our police who remain armed.

Also we have no tradition of solving problems with guns for we gained our independence peacefully and united a whole Continent in peace.

Pax Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    In part, paranoia is the unreasonable fear of attack. And considering that no country can invade the USA and the USA spends more on the military than the rest of the world combined, the fear of invasion and attack is pure paranoia.
    Nearly half of our military budget is for Procurement, Housing, Personnel, Construction. It's basically a form of welfare to keep young adults from homelessness, joblessness and criminal behavior. Speaking of which, how do you feel about your own country's history?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Speaking of which, how do you feel about your own country's history?
    [youtube="o65YXWOMZq8"]Aussie History[/youtube]

Smile The Best in the World

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    ...how do you feel about your own country's history?
    We gained our independence peacefully and we united a whole Continent peacefully.

We not only have more than our fair share of Nobel Prizes in Science and Medicine but our ethos is based on the English and Scottish Enlightenment. And the spirit of the Australian people reveals itself when we have floods bigger than France and Germany combined, and in droughts lasting twelve years and bushfires that roar like locomotives across the landscape.

But one of the nicest things about us is our sense of humour which is not shared by the Americans.

So all during the day I share a humourous discourse with my fellow Australians that is opaque to the Americans. And foolish fellow I am, when I try to explain our sense of humour to the Yankees, I only get blank looks and the claim that the American sense of humour is the best in the world.

And who can gainsay that?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Australia began as a prison colony, Victor.

Smile America's Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Australia began as a prison colony, Victor.
    C'mon, America was a colony for one hundred and fifty years and a penal colony to boot.

But whereas we celebrate our convict heritage in our architecture and our books, America keeps its convict heritage a secret, even from Americans. That is why America needs Julian Assange more than we do.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

[YOUTUBE="31vm3-BQRJU"]Knob Creek machinegun shoot[/YOUTUBE]

Haven't been yet but I want to go...

A few of my friends have been and had a great time.

PS - whatever starts firing at around 0:57... I want it.