User Tag List

First 23313233343543 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    It's not about guns.
    Meaning that I have some sort of a crusade against America? Why would I hang around an American forum and usually not get involved in heated conversations? If you look at my usual posting, it is not trolling, and usually not against America in any way...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

We need to look at this IN CONTEXT.

In context of the entire social web of the United States.

The social web of the United States is not like most countries in Western Europe, and our government-funded social programs are certainly not.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    This isn't about justifying ourselves to the rest of the world, it's not about Europe. This is about a right that has always been available to us. It is about the freedom ideal. I've been hearing: you don't have a good reason to need it. That's a very foreign concept, because rights aren't about reasons. In my American mind that gets filed along with being presumed guilty and with heavy handed unrepresentational government.
    But there has to be a line somewhere, because by giving a person the right to carry deadly weapon, is to say that the person is given the power to limit someone elses right to live. Right?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Meaning that I have some sort of a crusade against America? Why would I hang around an American forum and usually not get involved in heated conversations? If you look at my usual posting, it is not trolling, and usually not against America in any way...
    No, I do not think you are anti-American. I just don't think this is as simple as "guns."

And most Americans responding in this thread realize that too, no matter their political, religious, or philosophical preference.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I get what you mean Qlippoth, but I think the comparison is shakey in that nobody get's hurt if I am assumed innocent until proven guilty or adequatly represented by my member of parliament..quite to the contrary, it serves the general good. Arms on the other hand can both cause damage and help prevent damage. The question then is which outweighs the other.
    I know what you are saying, and I agree with the point, but not necessarily the specifics. It's more of a clear cut case in your society. Add the murkiness of what damage guns actually do vs the good without the sensationalism, then throw in the very weighted rights of the individual, and then also throw in a legal precident that is part of the national character. This makes a reality of guns not going away anytime soon.

To me, to be anti-gun I'd have to be convinced that guns are damaging on a large scale in American society. I would have to believe that the vaccum of gun crime wouldn't be filled to a siginificant degree with knife and cudgel crime, And I'd have to believe that there would be some sort of gentle way of reversing an American right.

But, I'm not convinced, but I also haven't done the research.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    No, I do not think you are anti-American. I just don't think this is as simple as "guns."

And most Americans responding in this thread realize that too, no matter their political, religious, or philosophical preference.
    Ok. Well, I don't think I have much to offer, then, since I see this only from a perspective of a culture that doesn't have guns around and doesn't seem to need them. But, considering the OP, you guys really will have to think about this in the future, if you are going to stop the kind of shootings that seem to become more common all the time.

So, I'll leave (for now, at least)...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Hopefully to do some reading.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Probably not

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Wrong thread. Try posting it here --> http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml?pagenumber=

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Dear member,

Willful ignorance to support one's values is lame.