User Tag List

First 20282930313240 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Well, I am not exactly sure what kind of a thing I should be imagining here... A city where every other person is carrying guns or something? What are we talking about here? You know it is quite a stretch for me to imagine that as I walk to the store, there might be several weapons walking by. You see, these are so non-existent in my life that I don't see no point anyone having them in their normal life. Can you imagine that?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Well, I am not exactly sure what kind of a thing I should be imagining here... A city where every other person is carrying guns or something? What are we talking about here? You know it is quite a stretch for me to imagine that as I walk to the store, there might be several weapons walking by. You see, these are so non-existent in my life that I don't see no point anyone having them in their normal life. Can you imagine that?
    yes I've imagined being from Western Europe many times...now imagine the actual cultural context and history from being from America...or Russia...or Cuba..

If that's such a stretch for you, maybe you're a sensor. They have imaginations too, you know.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Ok, I've lost you now... What the hell do you want me to do? I can't possibly get accurate idea of today America, Russia or Cuba by thinking about their pasts. You think you can do that? Whew... That's heavy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Ok, I've lost you now... What the hell do you want me to do? I can't possibly get accurate idea of today America, Russia or Cuba by thinking about their pasts. You think you can do that? Whew... That's heavy.
    Yeah think about what it's actually be like to be Russian and have their culture and history and fears. Same with America.

Then you might understand what motivates them.

I did this once for example, (actually I've done it many times with many different cultures), when I was simply writing a paper on working class Republicans. Very enlightening.

It helps broaden your perspective of humans, which I think would be essential to NFs, since most of us don't like abstract math and engineering and computer science.

Or maybe you do,then forgive me, because then you possess an entirely different type of intelligence.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

She wants you to put yourself in the shoes of an American and imagine what it feels like and how you would see the world if you had been raised in the US and had an American socialization. This issue obviously comes down to culture and culturally determined values. So in order to get anywhere, forget your values for a moment (including those you consider universal, and I know this is hard for INFPs) and imagine you had different experiences and values.

I think that's what she means.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yeah think about what it's actually be like to be Russian and have their culture and history and fears. Same with America.

Then you might understand what motivates them.

I did this once for example, (actually I've done it many times with many different cultures), when I was simply writing a paper on working class Republicans. Very enlightening.

It helps broaden your perspective of humans, which I think would be essential to NFs, since most of us don't like abstract math and engineering and computer science.

Or maybe you do,then forgive me, because then you possess an entirely different type of intelligence.
    Well, the times I've been in other cultures has shown me that it is impossible to actually feel what their lives are like. You make yourself sound pretty full of yourself by claiming that you can do this only by means of imagination. I would like to hear what you think my life is like as a Finnish male INFP. (Or ISFP if you think I'm a sensor)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Could you attempt to understand why Americans might embrace gun ownership?

Are you not even capable of it?

What exactly makes you an NF?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    She wants you to put yourself in the shoes of an American and imagine what it feels like and how you would see the world if you had been raised in the US and had an American socialization. This issue obviously comes down to culture and culturally determined values. So in order to get anywhere, forget your values for a moment (including those you consider universal, and I know this is hard for INFPs) and imagine you had different experiences and values.

Is that what this is?

Is this so hard for INFPs?

If so, I apologize for saying Nolla might not be NF.

It's just completely perplexing to me. Can Fi doms really not see outside of themselves?

Is this why they bother me so much?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post

Ok, correct these as I make them up:
    1) I should be paranoid about the government turning bad.
    2) I should be afraid of someone breaking in / robbing me on the street
    3) I should be afraid of gangs and such
    4) I should not trust the police
    5) I should feel some sort of symbolic value in weapons for their historical significance
    6) I should think that an outlaw is really literally outside law and free game

What else?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Ok, correct these as I make them up:
    1) I should be paranoid about the government turning bad.
    2) I should be afraid of someone breaking in / robbing me on the street
    3) I should be afraid of gangs and such
    4) I should not trust the police
    5) I should feel some sort of symbolic value in weapons for their historical significance
    6) I should think that an outlaw is really literally outside law and free game

What else?
    Try to think about this compassionately or objectively instead of sarcastically.