First 123451353 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I grew up in West Virginia. My grandfather taught me how to shoot a handgun when I was 9. Most of the men I know hunt, but I rarely if ever heard of anyone getting shot. People there, though, are culturally easy-going, not extremely combative (unless drunk or high on meth) and there's still that Southern tinge of "these things just aren't done among decent people." That's also a pretty damn easy thing to control when your population is extremely low and not very mixed.

However, in recent years there's been more incidents of students shooting off guns on college campuses in WV, and just last week a friend of mine said a meth head shot a Chinese woman delivering Chinese food to their building because he was sketched out and thought she was an intruder.

All of this, I think, is a cultural disease and it's filtered into West Virginia more slowly because it's 20 years behind the rest of the country, but it has crept in, and no thanks to television.

I think people should be allowed to own guns. I believe in the right to bear arms.

What I don't understand is why anyone needs a machine gun, and why it's so easy for an ordinary citizen to get his hands on a gun which can kill so many people so quickly. It's unnecessary and does more harm than good.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I live in a remarkably safe town in a safe federal state of a pretty safe country with a low homocide rate. I feel safe, but not oppressed either.

Guns are just not part of the culture.
    You live like most people want to live, but not everybody knows how to get there. There are a lot of ways to feel safe. I feel safe without guns, and I don't feel oppressed, but I wouldn't want somebody to tell me that I can't own a useful tool. I almost feel like it is my sacred duty to hunt (I have a personal vendetta against deer), but I can't muster the energy right now. There are a great deal of guns around me, and I can honestly say that I would rather them be here than be absent and outlawed.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    It is interesting to note that there have been two recent events--Arizona, Virginia, in which a mentally ill (undiagnosed?) has been able to legally obtain a weapon and kill with it.

It is easy--very easy to get a gun illegally, though.
    hahaha he probably made a strong argument like

I know 1+1=2

Thus!!!!!!

I am sane

A window to the soul

I guess some people are afraid of the things they don't understand.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the US, I have great affection for that country and you have so much to offer. But that deep-rooted mistrust in the state and each other is something exotic to me. Some skepticism is good, but when it get's to the point of shooting your neigbor because you think he's a burglar, something's wrong.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by perfectgirl View Post
    I guess some people are afraid of the things they don't understand.

Do you know? Does the screening process vary from state to state?
    It's hard to be afraid when information is so widely available

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law...tate)#Illinois

So, no crazy people can own them, nobody with a history of violence can own them, felons can't own them, and handguns are a bitch to own in Chicago.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

When I've participated in this subject in the past, usually the discussion involves some Brits. I swear that they imagine every word written as being typed by someone who wishes they John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. Usually the discussion dead ends when that becomes obvious. Guns are a big part of American culture, in ways that aren't obvious to people who don't have a gun culture. To a Brit a gun is only something to wave around and pretend you're in a Hollywood movie with.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    What I don't understand is why anyone needs a machine gun, and why it's so easy for an ordinary citizen to get his hands on a gun which can kill so many people so quickly. It's unnecessary and does more harm than good.
    Thanks for you response

The term "machine gun" is pretty ambiguous. I do personally question the need for fully automatic weapons if that's what you mean - that's a combat zone tool. But a well made, effective weapon, depending on who you give it to, could be used for slaughter or for defense.

I was actually considering buying the same 33 round magazine he used (for a different gun). I posted about it in the "Random Thought Thread" about a month ago.

(edited, emphasis added)

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    ... .... I'm interested in the Kel Tec Sub 2000 because it is:

- compact and light. it folds. can fit in a small bag or in a small safe.
    - accepts handgun clips. this is practical for someone who wants a short distance carbine and a pistol because they can use the same clips/ammo. top choices would be glock 17/19 or s&w. you can buy 30 round clips for glock, which may be good for target practice. IRL I don't plan on firing 30 shots (if any), but if the situation arose I might be happy I didn't have to reload, too.

otherwise standard 15 round clips are fine.
    - practical for what I'd actually be using it for in a range less than 75 yards
    - easier to use than a pistol in a stressful situation without sacrificing maneuverability
    - loaded with the right ammo there is minimized risk of overpenetration

I think that the Assault Weapons Ban (lapsed) limitation to 10 rounds was too small.

Maryland (where I am) has a limitation of 20 round magazines. States have various laws.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    When I've participated in this subject in the past, usually the discussion involves some Brits. I swear that they imagine every word written as being typed by someone who wishes they John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. Usually the discussion dead ends when that becomes obvious. Guns are a big part of American culture, in ways that aren't obvious to people who don't have a gun culture. To a Brit a gun is only something to wave around and pretend you're in a Hollywood movie with.
    I don't know that the problem is wanting to be John Wayne or Clint Eastwood. There seems to have been an increase in shootings with people wanting to be gang-bangers or Rambo.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I don't know that the problem is wanting to be John Wayne or Clint Eastwood. There seems to have been an increase in shootings with people wanting to be gang-bangers or Rambo.
    I was only talking about problems about talking about guns. Did I just type that? *sigh* Yeah, the practicallity is a different issue... but I'm not convinced it's statistically significant.