User Tag List

First 19272829303139 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Hmm... surprisingly, wikipedia says that:

Finns have fourth most firearms in the world per capita (right after United States, Yemen, Switzerland) totalling 1.8 million registered privately owned firearms and 100,000–200,000 unregistered firearms.[2] Gun related homicides are rare, comprising 14% of the total number of homicides,[3] which is comparatively low.

Guns and other weapons are tightly regulated. One must separately apply for a gun license, which cannot be issued for "self defense reasons". Even other weapons, such as pepper sprays, are regulated. Carrying weapons, including guns and knives, in public is not allowed.
    I didn't know we're the fourth biggest gun nation!!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You apparently haven't known enough rational people with guns.

The fact that I was introduced to guns by one of the most practical, sensible, logical people I've ever known let me know that they're tools. To him they were tools of self-protection (after being a captain in the U.S. Navy for 15-20 years and living in the sticks for most of the rest of his life) just like roto'tillers and shovels were tools for the vegetable garden. It was introduced to me in such an unemotional, practical, no-nonsense way that I couldn't possibly be frightened. He just stood behind me and told me to pull the trigger.

Again, I'm acquainted with an exceedingly rational man who doesn't even see the point in drinking alcohol who owns guns for historical value and has taught his own daughter to shoot for self-defense.

Then I encounter a person who reminds me that the government is no more trustworthy than business.

Finally, I meet someone who tells me how the Ayatollah Khomeini turned on his own people after two years, and how Americans are surprisingly calm for people who own so many guns.

So being the fourth biggest gun nation means nothing. It's the mind behind it, which is basically what I said in my post about sensible gun ownership.

We just have to make sure that sensible people are owning guns.

How, I don't know. Either stronger background checks or increased mental health care.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    You apparently haven't known enough rational people with guns.
    ---
    So being the fourth biggest gun nation means nothing. It's the mind behind it, which is basically what I said in my post about sensible gun ownership.
    I really haven't even seen a gun anywhere but
    1) army
    2) hunting
    and I don't think that is because the people here are screened so good or anything like this. It is because most of the guns here are for hunting, and who would carry one around in the city? Only a crazy person, and even then the gun would be spotted easily.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Use Ne to account for cultural differences.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

What do you mean?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Si tells you that people in Finland use guns for army and hunting. Everyone else is crazy.

Think about the context of other cultures.

This is my most natural state, so forgive me if I seem judgemental.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

It is not allowed here to walk around with a rifle, so if someone does, I will assume they are crazy and call the cops. So what? Is it normal to walk around with rifles where you live?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    It is not allowed here to walk around with a rifle, so if someone does, I will assume they are crazy and call the cops. So what? Is it normal to walk around with rifles where you live?
    No, but it's depressingly normal for people to walk around with concealed handguns on their person.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I guess they'd be arrested here and lost their licence.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Okay. Just try to be an N for five minutes since you claim to be one.

Unless you're really good at Algebra, I'm not buying it if you can't put yourself in a larger human context, particularly as an NF.