Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Nah, kicking someone in the face is no reason not to look good.

I love you, Edgar.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    So, based on this logic and the above example:

1) Women should carry guns, because they are weaker than men and thus unable to defend themselves.
    2) Men should now carry guns as well, because now all women have guns, thus men are unable to defend themselves.
    3) Children should carry guns, because all women and men carry guns.

Don't you guys see that you let your fears control your lives and through that make your country less safe?
    Why does Finland have such high per capita murder and rape rates in comparison to the rest of Northern Europe?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Why does Finland have such high per capita murder and rape rates in comparison to the rest of Northern Europe?
    I've got no idea. If I remember right that's mostly domestic violence... Probably related quite strongly to alcohol. Which is one of the reasons I wouldn't give them guns.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Hmm... well, I suppose that having guns is just how things are going to be, but I especially don't like the relative lack of regulations on them.

I think that I would find it easier to live with guns if the following ideas were implemented:

1. Age limit. You have to be a certain age in order to get a learner's permit to drive a car, so why not a gun?
    What?

2. Fines for killing unarmed trespassers. Just because the guy happened to go onto your property doesn't mean it was right for you to kill him. You should at least pay a fine for the privilege if you insist on exercising it.
    Shooting trespassers is the accepted route. Unless they're really nice and say "hey dude I know your sister and I have this bag of weed."

3. Limits on number of guns. You should only be allowed one handgun (for self-defense), and one rifle (for hunting, presumably). Both must be registered. This is mostly to cut down on people buying guns legally and selling them on the black market. You have the right to defend yourself, not to stockpile arms or maintain your own personal armory.

Perhaps if enough more things like the Arizona shooting, the Columbine shooting, and the JFK assassination happen, people will finally be receptive to some restrictions like these. I can only hope so.
    What about people who collect guns? My old math teacher actually owns a gun from the Bolshevik revolution. What a thing to own. The history of it.

He's one of the most rational people I've ever met. He teaches math. He's been married to one woman since he was twenty. He doesn't drink. I don't think he's gonna assassinate anyone.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Well the homocide rate is less than 1 in 100.000 in Germany, about 2 in 100.000 in Finland and 5 in 100.000 (with certain states at a much higher or ower rate: Lousiana lies between 11 and 12). Finland is at the top within Europe (most of Europe lies between 1 and 2), but still under Latvia and Moldova, which are still better off than the US, which comes right after Kenya and Argentina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh, can I also tell you about my ISTJ friend? He's from Iran. He says any other society with this many guns would be shooting each other all the time. He praises Americans for being "calm."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

He also told me in so many words that people need guns because of Hitler and the Ayatollah Khomeini being elected.

People need guns lest their elected leaders suddenly turn on them in two years.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Well the homocide rate is less than 1 in 100.000 in Germany, about 2 in 100.000 in Finland and 5 in 100.000 (with certain states at a much higher or ower rate: Lousiana lies between 11 and 12). Finland is at the top within Europe (most of Europe lies between 1 and 2), but still under Latvia and Moldova, which are still better off than the US, which comes right after Kenya and Argentina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate
    Our homicide rate is still 1/3 of Mexico's, though. Which will probably be one of the arguments against the idea that we have a problem.

We have a tendency to compare ourselves more to Mexico and South America than to Western Europe... probably because that comparison is more favorable to us.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

That's an interesting and valid way of looking at it, Marm. It would also be interesting to look at the countries with the lowest murder rates: Liechtenstein is world champion in peacefulness, but then again they are tiny and absurdly rich. Then come Iceland, Singapore, Japan, Hongkong..Japan is pretty impressive, you must admit, and then we have Brunei, Morocco, Lebanon and Oman....who would have thought it?!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Our homicide rate is still 1/3 of Mexico's, though. Which will probably be one of the arguments against the idea that we have a problem.

We have a tendency to compare ourselves more to Mexico and South America than to Western Europe... probably because that comparison is more favorable to us.
    That is understandable, but Central America is the worst place on earth when it comes to homocide rates, that's some very easy competition.
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari