Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Because if you let those millions do that work, the work of keeping them in check afterwards will get all the more diffucult. The more guns you have, the more shooting there is.
    You can't always count on the police to get there in time.

In order to do this we'd have to re-organize our entire system and raise taxes.

There was a time when all of this didn't occur to me, when I thought, if Western Europeans don't have guns why wouldn't it work for us, but I now understand on a societal level what kind of changes it would require. It wouldn't be as simple as taking one thing away. That wouldn't be right.

Of course I've never believed in the complete removal of guns, ever, anyway. At one point I just wanted restrictions on handguns, but thought that people should still be able to have shotguns and hunting rifles.

[YOUTUBE="I4s0nzsU1Wg"].[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post

I have no idea how you came to this conclusion, however.
    Why do you think medieval peasants were so dependant on Knights and fuedal lords for protection? A sword (and other melee weapons, such as a baseball bat) takes a lot of training and/or practice to use effectively. Criminals generally have much more practice with fighting (with or without deadly weapons); the greater the amount of training/practice required to use a weapon effectively, the greater of an advantage a habitual user will have over the average person.

Kleck's study was endorsed by the most acclaimed and respected criminologists in the United States, who also happened to be a vocal gun-control advocate. And if the study you mentioned is the one I think it is, its author is associatted with a Chicago organization that advocates strict gun-control (I'll try to find the references to these claims later, I'm a bit pressed for time right now). I also seem to remember the hundreds of thousands number to be Kleck's low-end estimate, but its been awhile since I read these studies.

Sniffles

I doubt dragging feudalism into this is very helpful lowtech. Take for example the Assize of Arms, which imposed obligations for certain classes to possess arms in Medieval England.

MBTI
    ESFJ

You will be surprised, but possessing a gun does not automatically shield you from harm.

Also, the likelihood that the burglar carries a guns decreases with day the new laws are in effect.
    False. Criminals already find it difficult to buy guns legally, and felons are barred from purchasing handguns completely. Banning handguns would have little-to-no effect on criminals having access to weapons.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Why does it seem like the only people who agree with me in this thread are Europeans? I feel like I'm the only American ever to have an issue with it.

I wouldn't have thought all (or most) Americans were in favor of gun ownership. It looks like I might be a significant minority on that issue. Guess I should learn to tread carefully on this issue, because I'm likely to agitate a lot of people with my perspectives if I voice them too strongly.
    "significant minority" as in "a good-sized, but outnumbered, chunk" or "significant minority" as in "not too many people agree with you?" It is the latter. The majority of Americans are in favor of the 2nd Amendment, with varying degrees of restrictions for felons, young people, the mentally unstable, clip size, number of guns allowed for purchase at one time, etc. I mean, that Amendment has never come close to having been repealed. That is unthinkable.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    False. Criminals already find it difficult to buy guns legally, and felons are barred from purchasing handguns completely. Banning handguns would have little-to-no effect on criminals having access to weapons.
    But can't we pretend for a moment that it will? In order to understand certain perspectives, sometimes we have to journey into what I can only describe as a fantasy land. There are beautiful depictions of benevolent societies just waiting to be explored by eager minds, and if we see a glimpse of something we like, we can even make it reality. I have no intentions of doing this, but it is a fun ride.

MBTI
    INTJ

When you reject the possibility, then there is really no point in arguing with you. Is gun love part of your religion?
    Is flower power part of yours?

Tough titties your gentle European nature is offended at the American concept of self sufficiency.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Tough titties your gentle European nature is offended at the American concept of self sufficiency.
    Hahhaaaaahaa!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    "significant minority" as in "a good-sized, but outnumbered, chunk" or "significant minority" as in "not too many people agree with you?" It is the latter. The majority of Americans are in favor of the 2nd Amendment, with varying degrees of restrictions for felons, young people, the mentally unstable, clip size, number of guns allowed for purchase at one time, etc. I mean, that Amendment has never come close to having been repealed. That is unthinkable.
    I meant as in, almost no one agrees with me.

I used to think that people in general just didn't see things the way I do, but I've found that there are many other countries that see important issues more similarly to the way that I do.

The only American value that I believe strongly in is freedom of speech (especially in the context of disagreeing with/questioning the government).

It's kind of depressing.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I meant as in, almost no one agrees with me.

I used to think that people in general just didn't see things the way I do, but I've found that there are many other countries that see important issues more similarly to the way that I do.
    I know what you mean. It has been a revealing thread to me too. I had no idea how deeply Americans feel about their weapons. It seems like you'd go to Japan and tried to take a family heirloom katana away from someone.