User Tag List

First 6141516171826 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    But why is this so true in our country as opposed to some others? Is it because our education system is so shitty? It's got to be something about our culture...
    I venture a simplistic take on one of the manifold roots of this problem.

People see what they like. They like entertainment. So your media are entertainment. For most people, entertainment needs to be simple. Since news are rarely simple, your media need to simplify the news. Thus simple people watch simplistic, entertaining news. The media show news that people like because if they do not, people will watch something else. Thus views are rather confirmed than challenged, thus traditions prevail, whether they are good or bad.

This, of course, is true for other nations as well, but your media is much more manipulative than what I am accustomed to. You can hardly distinguish between news and commercials. Maybe you need a war in your own territory to start anew.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I venture a simplistic take on one of the manifold roots of this problem.

People see what they like. They like entertainment. So your media are entertainment. For most people, entertainment needs to be simple. Since news are rarely simple, your media need to simplify the news. Thus simple people watch simplistic, entertaining news. The media show news that people like because if they do not, people will watch something else. Thus views are rather confirmed than challenged, thus traditions prevail, whether they are good or bad.
    Makes sense. But it wasn't always the case. I remember the news being much more serious and formal when I was a child. It's become increasingly insane since my teen years.

This, of course, is true for other nations as well, but your media is much more manipulative than what I am accustomed to. You can hardly distinguish between news and commercials. Maybe you need a war in your own territory to start anew.
    Maybe so. I remember once a libertarian I know said to me, "America - love it or leave it." And I was thinking, well actually for the most part I like America just fine, maybe you paranoid, extremist freaks are the ones who need to leave.

*imagines the U.S. chopped up into three new countries*

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Lets see, studies by medical scholars (who confine their studies to officiially reported instances) predicts a low need, while studies by criminologists (who are in a better scholarly position on this issue) say that guns are utilized for defensive purposes up to 2.5 million times a year...I think I'll listen to the latter, thank you. This issue is a lot like the rape statistics, which consistently reveal highly disparate findings between recorded instances and reproducable survey responses.
    I know that study. It's by a man named Kleck (who is, himself, heavily pro-gun, possibly creating bias), and is a popular citation by the NRA. Since then, other studies have found that, if that number were accurate, it seems to argue guns are used for defense in burglaries more often than the person being burglarized is even awake or present. That it may show a figure up to ten times higher than is realistic, and a figure that seems to be downright impossible.

The number I suggested also seems wrong upon researching. It suggested something like 65,000 uses of guns defensively a year (that would equal .2%, which means your 2.5 million number suggests nearly one in ten crimes end with defensive use of guns)

However, having researched it a little more, it seems a realistic figure is one higher than what I suggested but lower than what you did (in fact, the Kleck's response to the study that claimed his 2.5 million number was a gross over exaggeration was that that study itself proved that defensive gun use was indeed probably in the hundreds of thousands annually).

a criminal with a baseball bat is likely to have a greater advantage over a victim with a baseball bat than is a a criminal with a gun over a victim with a gun.
    I have no idea how you came to this conclusion, however.

That said, let me reiterate that I usually find gun control legislation a waste of time, considering those campaigning for it could use their political weight pursuing something more useful to society, especially considering I still haven't seen a lot to convince me that gun control or lack of control is as influential as either side would have you think (plus, in America, gun control fights are almost cartoonishly hard to fight).

Makes sense. But it wasn't always the case. I remember the news being much more serious and formal when I was a child. It's become increasingly insane since my teen years.
    Entertainment does not necessarily mean tawdriness. People cheered for the early Frank Sinatra as they cheer for Lady Gaga today. But, surely, a lot of historic dynamics have to be added to the picture; but I am not an expert on US history and I have never even been there to see the insanity with my own eyes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

...just the first two that come to mind.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Entertainment does not necessarily mean tawdriness. People cheered for the early Frank Sinatra as they cheer for Lady Gaga today. But, surely, a lot of historic dynamics have to be added to the picture; but I am not an expert on US history and I have never even been there to see the insanity with my own eyes.
    True, but I think the problem now is that the line between news and entertainment has blurred to the point that many news shows are offensively bright and loud and repetitive.

CNN has kept a lot of seriousness in their news, but of course the wackos associate CNN with liberals. Apparently only liberals are serious these days.

It's strange to me that some people think that liberal ideas are more Nazi-ish, because actually the right wing news shows programs are more similar to propaganda and brainwashing.

News shouldn't be a broadway show or an action film.

CNN has kept a lot of seriousness in their news, but of course the wackos associate CNN with liberals. Apparently only liberals are serious these days.
    That is funny, because when I wrote what I wrote, I thought of CNN.

The - I assume it still is - most-viewed German news show:
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QCrX8-73lU"]tagesschau[/YOUTUBE]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well it's all bad. I said they retain *some* seriousness. I don't hardly watch the news at all, I read it off of the associated press and other sources on the internet or in newspapers.

When I do encounter the news it frequently makes me feel disturbed and overwhelmed. Something is not right about it, and it becomes evident to a sensitive person if you watch it for more than a few minutes. There's something different about it even than normal television shows.

I believe this may be subliminal, and that is fucking disturbing. I know that there are other people who theorize about this as well.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

When I do encounter the news it frequently makes me feel disturbed and overwhelmed. Something is not right about it, and it becomes evident to a sensitive person if you watch it for more than a few minutes. There's something different about it even than normal television shows.

I believe this may be subliminal, and that is fucking disturbing. I know that there are other people who theorize about this as well.
    I usually turn the news on when I'm having trouble going to sleep with the silence. It's easier to sleep through the news than a normal program. So, it may be designed to have a soothing/calming effect, that you are supposed to associate with that station. Is that what you mean?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Are you referring to the local news, which does still tend to be understated? Because watching news networks is jarring, it's not at all soothing, the colors they use, the jumping around...the only thing equally as disturbing to the senses on television would probably have to be commercials.

BTW, listening to a fan or other form of white noise would probably be better for you if you can't sleep.