123 Last

Thread: I love Berkeley

MBTI
    GONE

Default I love Berkeley

Anyone else following this?

Berkeley Wants Marines Out? Stuff Hits The Fan

Pics

If anyone else is watching KTVU right now, you'll see how they followed the Marine vote coverage with the story of a local man who was killed in action.

There is a Republican assemblyman who wants to cut off transportation funding for Berkeley unless they back off. I mean COME ON. You're gonna try to cripple a city over this? Perhaps it's symbolic, just like the vote against the Marine recruiting center.

Shattuck is practically part of the Berkeley campus for those who aren't familiar with the city.

MBTI
    INTJ

They have every right to protest the marine recuitment center, just as they would have the right to protest any marketing campaign. Likewise, the marines have every right to keep on doing their thing, as I'm sure they will. If anything, it gives the marines more attention.

And technically, the government can withold funds to the institution if they aren't in line. It's how they managed to get the legal drinking age uniform in every state.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah I think it's just a symbolic vote. I can't see any way they would have any legal standing to enforce it.

It's like the city councils around the country passing impeachment resolutions. Too bad none of you are actually on a Judiciary committee in Congress...

Nonetheless, I agree that the whole thing is rather interesting. Everybody tells me Berkeley's been overrun by yuppies and there's no political scene there any more.

Not that Code Pink is exactly a local, grass-roots organization.
    "Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even if you never touch its coattails."
    --Clarence Darrow

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    Nonetheless, I agree that the whole thing is rather interesting. Everybody tells me Berkeley's been overrun by yuppies and there's no political scene there any more.

Not that Code Pink is exactly a local, grass-roots organization.
    Isn't Berkeley the school that has Mandarin as its most common spoken language? I could be thinking of somewhere else. Not really related...I'm just curious.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office

MBTI
    INFJ

My daughter and her friends were out there all day. 15 year-old kds were arrested. A friend of hers was hit on the head by cops, a pregnant woman was punched. A pro-Marine protester was arrested for brandishing a gun.

And no, Mandarin is not the dominant spoken language. Actually Latin is the language of choice at Berkeley High.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    My daughter and her friends were out there all day. 15 year-old kds were arrested. A friend of hers was hit on the head by cops, a pregnant woman was punched. A pro-Marine protester was arrested for brandishing a gun.

And no, Mandarin is not the dominant spoken language. Actually Latin is the language of choice at Berkeley High.

Jae Rae
    I was referring to the University.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    ...the marines have every right to keep on doing their thing...
    The Marine Corps doesn't have rights, it's part of the government. The people are the government, if they don't want military recruiters around the recruiters should leave.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    Yeah, the Bezerkely police were pretty militant and aggro from the news footage I've seen.

I've been to major demonstrations/marches in NYC and DC and the police were neveraggro like that and were also not seen in such large ratios. In those situations, the cops were massively outnumbered by demonstrators and the cops looked downright bored "keeping the peace". They were totally not aggro, did not look scared or angry, and would just walk beside protestors on the sidewalks, plastic zip ties inhand (too many potential arrestees to make metal handcuffs practical). Perhaps the large presence of legal observers and media made the cops more image conscious?

Then again, friends who have been to more volatile demonstrations like at the WTO have told me that the police in their souped up golf carts plough into demonstrators.

"In Washington, a group of Republican lawmakers have introduced the Semper Fi Act of 2008 -- named after the Marine motto -- to rescind more than $2 million of funds for Berkeley and transfer it to the Marine Corps."

Man, now people are getting petty.

It is downright dangerous to mess with patriotism in this country.

I am very proud of the Berkeley city council standing up for this. I agree, Berkeley may be past it counterculture heyday in the 70s, and there is a lot of posturing, but by that token everything 'hippie' today is like that. Berkeley is still a very politically and intellectually engaged city and the the larger bay area is progressive -- not in terms of political affiliation and talk, but in action. Along with Barbara Lee, the east bay brings a tree-hugging tear to my eyes. And look at Newsom's crusade in the San Francisco area tackling human trafficking. And SF is one of the few (only?) cities in the country that covers transgendered healthcare for its employees. :tear: :tear: :tear:

Alright, enough rah-rahing over how much I heart the bay area.

And back to the serious discussion!

The Marines should be allowed to stay. If the residents don't like the military, then don't enlist. God forbid you should set up shop and offer people a job.

Only in Berkeley.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ISTx

It's sickening to me. I love the bay area, grew up in the east bay and I have a good friend in Berkeley. The liberals and hippies will take any measures they can to let people know they don't like war. We get the point already... People protesting and burning American flags in Berkeley? Come on now... People will always find stuff to bitch over. Hippies cry louder than everyone else though. Like FM said, of course the recruiting office should remain in the city. It's such a stupid and immature thing to run recruiters out, all in the name of their propagandistic message. If people are going to join the military, and they can no longer do that in Berkeley then they'll join in another city 5 miles down the road. Berkeley wouldn't be accomplishing a thing by kicking the Marines out.

Will definitely have my buzz cut and be wearing a USMC shirt next time I'm in town.