MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

everyone in berkeley is crazy

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Isn't Berkeley the school that has Mandarin as its most common spoken language? I could be thinking of somewhere else. Not really related...I'm just curious.
    english is certainly more common. although i wouldn't be surprised at all if mandarin was 2nd.

@OP: oddly enough, it seems to me like almost everyone i know here is politically apathetic. i definitely am.

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

It's not like they'd recruit anyone at Berkeley anyway, or pretty much any west-coast college town. A recent poll of alumni at my university revealed that we had more Peace Corps volunteers than people who are/were in the services.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    It's not like they'd recruit anyone at Berkeley anyway, or pretty much any west-coast college town. A recent poll of alumni at my university revealed that we had more Peace Corps volunteers than people who are/were in the services.
    I got recruited out of a west-coat town.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    actually i see a good amount of military students around. college kids are waaaaaaaay less crazy liberal than the rest of the city.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    That's interesting considering that they appear to be protesting the recruitment of soldiers.
    But I don't think with their explanations that the two are mutually exclusive or hypocritical. They don't want people being mislead to enlist in an immoral war. But once a civilian becomes a soldier, the protesters would stick by their sentiments that they care for the soldier's welfare. Code Pink and other more humanitarian based protesters are a lot more concerned for the treatment of soldiers than the Republican party in general and Bush specifically -- who keeps slashing vet benefits? It's not anti-war protesters, it's the same people in government who simultaneously ask more and more and more from soldiers that creates more and more disabled vets.

The army is beyond capacity right now, they are literally running out of bodies. Bush has overextended the military. There is no way America can sustain these military operations as is. So...I mean you can't really blame the hippies and conspiracy theorists into thinking recruiters might get just a tad bit desperate when they talk to potential recruits about the merits of joining.

That was also one of the arguments/concerns against recruiters. Just ask Michael Moore. :yim_rolling_on_the_

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    actually i see a good amount of military students around. college kids are waaaaaaaay less crazy liberal than the rest of the city.
    I think that was intentional. Berkeley purposely starting screening out the traditionally politically active Noam Chomsky quoting drum circling progressives from their incoming classes. And then they dismantled the ethnic studies program and some other staff changes. I think the hippies who would have gone to UC Berkeley probably went to UC Santa Cruz instead. No one's gonna mess with lefties there. I mean they tenured Angela Davis (who, btw, was not but perhaps is now a hippie) and have 'History of Consciousness' as a graduate degree.

The funny thing is, generally college students are much more liberal or at least as liberal as the surrounding town.

However, I'm pretty sure there is still a strong contingent of lefties at Berkeley, just probably more diluted and clustered from the ginormous rest of the Berkeley population. They probably stick more to their own drumming circles and Noam Chomsky book clubs, etc. Unless you are involved in some political ruckus yourself, you could probably stay oblivious to it.

Outside of general apathy, Berkeley the school is still firmly leftie -- case in point: it has a strongly vocal anti-Zionist population. And the student body president many years ago spoke against Madeleine Albright's preceding speech at graduation.

More than being lefty, I think Berkeley the city still retains the heart center of lefty hippie politics. In addition to being pretty well-educated and above average incomed, there is a lot of space for actual dialogue and discussion (or screamign and pushing) in Berkeley. The hippies are happy to talk with you if you don't agree with them. Old school Hippies love dialoguing and can stay calm when people disagree with them.

Now anarchists? Anarchists just want to throw rocks.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    In high school and even into college, I talked seriously with recruiters from the army and air force. I'm glad they were in town. It was more convenient, and they helped me make an informed decision. My decision was not to join, even though I was very seriously considering a career as an officer for many years.
    I came very close to applying for a Navy ROTC scholarship. In the end, I did not join any branch of the service. My reason was that if I were to join the military, I would surrender my decision-making authority to someone else, someone whom I did not necessarily trust to choose whom I should help to kill, and why. I did not wish to have to stand before God one day and explain that I was just following orders.

In retrospect, I'm still not certain that I made the "right" decision, but I did make a decision I'm willing to live with, and I bear no ill will toward those who serve.

MBTI
    INFJ

We're talking about an informed choice. The recruiting office in Berkeley is for officers. They're looking for students from Boalt Hall (law) and other college graduates. Presumably a UC college graduate can make an informed choice about his future likelihood to serve in active duty. They're not recruiting high school kids off the street.

That said, Bush and the pro-war faction need men and women who will serve. Fewer recruits means a draft would be reinstated, which would be harder to push down the throats of the American public and would cause many more people to question and act against this war. Almost everyone except John McCain thinks the war should end soon, and if the draft comes back, people will be back on the streets.

It should be obvious that the rancor about recruiting, the military budget, benefits, etc. doesn't extend to those already in service. Once you're in, nearly everyone would agree - we want you to come home in one piece, healthy in mind and body.

Threatening to cut off funding to school lunch programs in Berkeley because some of its citizens question the war and killing children in Iraq - well, all I can say is, that fits.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    Threatening to cut off funding to school lunch programs in Berkeley because some of its citizens question the war and killing children in Iraq - well, all I can say is, that fits.

Jae Rae
    That statement requires a very convoluted leap in logic from the facts of the case. Ironically, the same kind of convoluted logic that many of these people accuse Bush of in his reasoning to go to war.

Believing in the right of the Marines to have a recruiting office is light years away from believing in the killing of innocent children...or even from disapproving of protest. And you know it. Or at least I hope you do.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari