User Tag List

123 Last

ByMySword

Cool I Wish I Was In Dixie!!!

So I was in my film class where we are watching Birth of a Nation. Anyone who has seen it knows that it is entirely historically innaccurate ..and all that smear. But this is not what this post is about. Our teacher asked us what we think of when we see the Confederate Flag. All I hear are grumbles and negative comments. One ugly fat ass white woman stands up and says:

" I see low class, white trash, racist hatred and bigotry!"

Well, I just couldn't take it anymore...in a very very civilized and calm voice I say:

" I see history and heritage. This flag is apart of our past, and we cannot deny that."

Well, as you can imagine this started an uproar! Here is one defender of the land of cotton against an entire classroom of politically correct fools. An argument insued with several points about historic symbolism mentioned for about 20 minutes. We came to a point where one woman stood and said that she felt that it is only what context the symbols are used in that defines what they stand for. This I could not agree with more. I made a comment about the swastika. The swastika is originally a Hindu and Native American symbol meaning peace and good-will. Place it in the hands of Hitler and it becomes tragically a symbol of hate and anti-semetism. But does that mean that the Hindus can't use it? This has been a debate in the U.N. in recent years. The same debate holds for the Navajo Indians and their use of it.
    Towards the end, the same woman stands up and looks directly at me (remember, she's white):

(In an extremely loud and rude tone)

" I have two black children so I feel very strongly about this! That whole thing you said about the flag being historical is fucking bullshit! That is all it is! Bullshit! It is hatred! Plain and Simple!"

My response:

" Really? Because the Stars and Bars that we know today isn't even the flag that was flown during the Civil War. The real one is flown everyday proudly right outside the San Jacinto Monument (in addition to every Six Flags Theme Park in Texas) and nobody says a damn thing about it!"

The entire room fell silent. Score one for Johnny Reb!!!

I know this is going to be an interesting topic and I'll probably get some negative feedback but before I do hear me out:

1) I do not condone slavery
    2) I do not condone the mistreatment of someone because of their race, color, or creed
    3) I do not consider myself a racist nor anti-Semetic
    4) This means that I do not judge one on color, but rather on their character and by their actions
    5) I consider myself a Libertarian Republican and I am a Christian, so any opposite of these beliefs would directly interfere with my political stance and religion
    6) The Civil War was fought for many reasons: Slavery, states rights, terrorism, and economics. The Confederate flag is not a symbol of hate, though some do use it for that purpose. If so, I do not condone this use.

I have a Confederate flag hanging in my room, but I do not see hate. In my opinion it is one of the most beautiful flags in our illustrious history. I felt this would be an interesting topic. I feel that it is a shame that I should have to explain myself in such a manner, but this is the politically correct world we live in today. I would appreciate it if we could discuss this like civilized people. If we can, this should be a learning experience for all of us.

MBTI
    INFP

C'mon.. chill back on the threads for a while..

Yeah, jumping to conclusions is part of the asshole norm that is part of today's society and unfortunately people jump to conclusions when they see the flag of the confederacy.

I think, with all meanings to the flags put aside, aesthetically, I like the Union Jack the most. I would like to find a nice Union Jack wallpaper for my laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    ... if you don't know who Neil Peart is, then you're probably going to hell.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    C'mon.. chill back on the threads for a while..
    I would disagree, I find his threads to be intellectually stimulating.

MBTI
    INTJ

Ultimately a symbol is just the meaning behind the image. I'd have to agree with you in this case, obviously. I think it is unfortunate that people feel so strongly about some things that they know absolutely nothing about simply because they are told to think that.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

I don't see anything wrong with his delivery.. he spelled most everything correctly and there were no grammatical conflicts between my liking and the way he presented them.

Flags of the Confederate States of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting article.

While I don't particularly care for the south I think the Civil War was bullshit. It wasn't even a civil war. The Confederacy wasn't fighting for control of the national government, they were fighting for independence. What the Confederacy should have done is exchange the slaves for independence. If they had chosen to keep the slaves then go in, liberate them and leave. None of this reconquering nonsense.

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Ultimately a symbol is just the meaning behind the image. I'd have to agree with you in this case, obviously. I think it is unfortunate that people feel so strongly about some things that they know absolutely nothing about simply because they are told to think that.
    Yeah, thanks a lot Peter Jennings! I'm glad I never listened to him. lol

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Flags of the Confederate States of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting article.

While I don't particularly care for the south I think the Civil War was bullshit. It wasn't even a civil war. The Confederacy wasn't fighting for control of the national government, they were fighting for independence. What the Confederacy should have done is exchange the slaves for independence. If they had chosen to keep the slaves then go in, liberate them and leave. None of this reconquering nonsense.
    Thanks for your input. I also appreciate the link. I've read it before, but it will give other people something to learn about. By the way, love the avatar pic.

Enneagram
    1w2

Just in time for Black History Month! Your timing is impeccable. I want to make this disclaimer: I typically don't get involved in racial topics here because they end up going in circles. This is probably going to be my only response to this thread. Topics like these seem to have people reacting more from knee-jerk emotions than anything else.

I'm from southern Maryland and my mother's from Alabama. There tends to be a lot of Confederate flags and GRITS tattoos around the more rural areas, although Alabama is one big rural area. It's more prominent the further you get from DC (but of course ).

I once saw a picture of Andre3000 from Outkast wearing a confederate flag. The colors were changed from blue and orange to red, green, and black. Those colors are representative of blood, earth, and the color of African people. I kinda liked that. Would you wear that BMS?

Generally, the basic argument against the confederate flag is that a symbol of white Southern heritage also represents black bondage and dehumanization. Who's history is more important? Knowing the injustices that have happened in this country regarding slavery and the confederate flag's connection to this and how the continue to happen to this day, why continue to wave it?

And honestly, if I went to your dorm room and saw a confederate flag, I would think you're racist. You know why? Because most people that have them typically are. I've seen them in dorm rooms before and I've made mental notes to steer clear of people (always guys) that have them.

Given all that, I feel that if you want to have it, it's your business. No I don't think it should be hung from public buildings. But don't be surprised about what people think about your character and don't oversimplify it to political correctness. You don't understand why people would be upset given the history behind the flag?
    Last edited by proteanmix; 02-12-2008 at 12:27 PM.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3