User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah, even tho that older guy looks like the Devil incarnate, he was cleared. He was just getting change at the SafeWay, taxi driver I think.
    Haha I know - he reminds me of Bob from Twin Peaks:

Frickin' creepy. But it seems there wasn't much reason to suspect him besides that.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    Haha I know - he reminds me of Bob from Twin Peaks:

Frickin' creepy. But it seems there wasn't much reason to suspect him besides that.
    That's enough in my book. Anyone who looks like that, including the actor who played Killer BOB, have some skeletons in their closets.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

It also doesn't help that in Arizona you can conceal-and-carry, without so much as a permit...
    Which means that the people being shot at could have been armed for their own defence, they must have chosen not to be.

Dont get me wrong, I'd very much like to live in a world were you do not have to be prepared to defend yourself and some places are safer than others but I do believe its one of those things like getting dressed, personal hygiene, even to an extent your health which like it or not is down to personal responsibility.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

That they-carry-a-gun-so-I-carry-a-gun logic reminds me of cold war mentality.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

The reporting over here has something to say about a need to tone down the anger in American politics and the portrayal of opposition as something which can not be. That and some story about a grudge this guy had that a question he asked about grammer and American politics was not satisfactorily answered by the congresswoman.

That to me smacks of some crazy fundamentalist interpretation of the constitution to me, just knowing a lot of the anti-government rehetoric which is the stock and trade of the libertarian US right wing, though I acknowledge I've little information to go on.

One thing I'd say is that if some idiot started shooting up a rally I was at and he was over powered by people there and I had a chance to get his gun off him and shoot him with it I would have done. Its the only way that there's going to less of this kind of thing. There's a very good reason why gun men choose soft targets, same as terrorists, if this kid's actions where motivated by anti-government sentiments why'd he not try and go for a shoot out with the local SWAT or a division of the Army? I wonder.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    That they-carry-a-gun-so-I-carry-a-gun logic reminds me of cold war mentality.
    The USSR was a real threat to the world.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The reporting over here has something to say about a need to tone down the anger in American politics and the portrayal of opposition as something which can not be.
    And what most people won't admit, is that right now, the anger is mostly on the Right, and even on MSNBC, they are waiting for a while before really unloading on Fox News and talk radio. When Republicans and Bush were in power, it was the Left that was heated up, but we didn't shoot up a congresswoman. It's all about "both sides have to cool down" and "it's an equal thing on both sides right now".

About this guy's politics, he was obviously anti-government (not left-wing), shot a Democrat, but also said some anti-God stuff (which you can have on the Right, sometimes).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

To the best of my knowledge, that threat was overrated by the US. The USSR on the other hand felt just as threatened by the US. An arms race is a vicious cycle.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Which means that the people being shot at could have been armed for their own defence, they must have chosen not to be.

Dont get me wrong, I'd very much like to live in a world were you do not have to be prepared to defend yourself and some places are safer than others but I do believe its one of those things like getting dressed, personal hygiene, even to an extent your health which like it or not is down to personal responsibility.
    I don't know, I don't think it wouldn't have prevented the shootings if other people were armed. If someone had managed to shoot the shooter, it might have reduced the number of shootings, but it would have taken some time before whoever was armed realized what was going on, drew, ascertained where the shooting was coming from, never mind be able to shoot the shooter without any innocent bystanders getting in the way, especially in a crowd.

I can see some arguments for conceal-and-carry (although I still don't agree with it), but you should at least need a permit. If this guy had needed to apply for a permit, surely he wouldn't have been granted one! But I suppose that wouldn't have stopped him.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INTP

But I suppose that wouldn't have stopped him.
    This.

People with his combination of mental illness and arrest history are not supposed to be able to buy guns legally anyway, so there isn't any particular salvo in the gun rights debate inherent in this story. It also deserves mention that the congresswoman in question supports gun rights.