User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I haven't really seen any discussion about what causes events like this.
    Don't worry, the news media are by and large already making asses out of themselves in their efforts to pin responsibilty on Sarah Palin and the tea parties.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    You might be wrong in this case. Sounds like someone in the crowd was packing and returned fire at the gunman.
    Someone returning gunfire was only a rumor. No one returned gunfire, the only shots fired were by Loughner. Someone hit the shooter with a folding chair, then tackled him, and they held him down until the police arrived.

The other man the police were looking for turned out to be a cab driver, so it looks like Loughner acted alone.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I haven't really seen any discussion about what causes events like this. Yes, he was seemingly schizophrenic, but politicians and the media (especially, imo, the Republicans and FOX News and certain liberal newscasters such as Olbermann) are pumping vitriol, paranoia, and fear into the public. Glenn Beck is kind of the poster child of that campaign, and he hasn't been properly condemned. The Rally to Restore Sanity seemed like it was supposed to confront that, but it didn't do much. Is there something else we can do? How do we restore integrity and responsibility to journalism and politics? Is it hopeless?
    I think its hopeless.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Jared Loughner

http://www.youtube.com/user/Classitu.../1/nHoaZaLbqB4

He sounds like he has a few screws loose.
    What has transpired was awful and I don't want to come off as cross when I say this but, those movies of that dude, I can only think of them as hilarious. Using wordplay and misuse of interpretation to build arguements. And doing it so obviously and blatantly. How far from reality can someone be, I wonder?

Unfortunately, this is one crazy guy that did manage to put his stamp on the world. But had that incident not happened, we would have all laughed at his reasoning skills.

edit: 9/11, 9/1/11

Hmm. >.>
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Okay, this just became a bit more personal for me. I only know two people from Arizona (both INTJs, by the way) and one of them just explained on Facebook that one of the victims, Gabriel Zimmermann, who worked for congresswoman Giffords, was a lifelong friend of both himself and his son. What are the odds?

It reminds me a bit of how I found out that one of my favorite teachers from school was among the victims of the great tsunami of 2004. Suddenly these things become a little bit less abstract.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I hate the way people are reacting to this - there's shit all over the Internet saying "this is Obama's fault" or "this is Sarah Palin's fault."

Our news media and political parties are a joke, HOWEVER unmedicated schizophrenics can be easily influenced by anything, whether it's Fox News or re-runs of Charles in Charge, so really the people at fault here are his parents for not forcing his meds down his throat every morning, making sure he had plenty of time away from the television to sleep or take a walk outside or something, and keep him away from guns. I do think it should be more difficult for people to obtain weapons because of incidents like this.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

The person who tried to shoot up the progressive Tides Foundation was a rabid Glenn Beck fan, according to what his mother told police.

Can't say whether this guy was affected by the right-wing talk radio/FOX News fear ratcheting. If the atmosphere wasn't "it's Armageddon, anti-government, buy survival seeds, progressives are evil" and there wasn't all the mess in Arizona surrounding anti-immigration efforts, would this have happened? Probably not, but you can never be sure.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    this is what happens when any nutjob can get a gun....this is a serious problem in the US.
    It also doesn't help that in Arizona you can conceal-and-carry, without so much as a permit...
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post

The image on the right, taken from store video footage, is apparently of the man who fled the scene.
    Last I heard, the person on the right was never more than a "person of interest" and the authorities were able to talk to him right away. The first news report I saw about this story said they had already talked to him and he was no longer a person of interest.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    Last I heard, the person on the right was never more than a "person of interest" and the authorities were able to talk to him right away. The first news report I saw about this story said they had already talked to him and he was no longer a person of interest.
    Yeah, even tho that older guy looks like the Devil incarnate, he was cleared. He was just getting change at the SafeWay, taxi driver I think.