User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 178

  1. #31
    The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None
    Posts
    2,565

    Default

    Tragic, real tragic.



    The most worrying part of Jared Loughner's videos must surely be the following:

    Terrorist
    If I define terrorist then a terrorist is a person who employs terror or terrorism, especially as a political weapon.
    I define terrorist.
    This, a terrorist is a person who employs terror or terrorism, especially as a political weapon.
    If you call me a terrorist then the argument to call me a terrorist is Ad hominem.
    You call me a terrorist.
    Thus, the argument to call me a terrorist is Ad hominem


    Is he one of Victor's evil relatives?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

    Narcissism, plain and simple.

  2. #32
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I meant knowing in a more private, personal way.

    Did you cry over Lady Diana's death?
    No, because I know next to nothing about Lady Diana. And I don't believe she was assassinated. Accidents happen, but deliberate attempts to undermine the democratic process are particularly offensive, and that plays no small part in my outrage. I can't speak for anyone else though.

  3. #33
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I meant knowing in a more private, personal way.

    Did you cry over Lady Diana's death?
    I cried when Mr. Rogers died. Public figures can become important to people despite not knowing them personally.

    But this case doesn't disturb me because I was fond of her- I didn't know who she was before today. It disturbs me because it might be a result of the toxic political climate in the US.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  4. #34
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    I don't know nor am I particularly familiar with this public figure (nor do I believe most of the the American pubic is either). Nevertheless the shooting is symbolic on an attack on the government of the USA with violence. This has a powerful effect on a government, particularly one which holds itself as a government "of the people"...in other words some people feel these attacks are a proxy attack on them because they are of the people of the USA federal government/republic.
    I find that very strange as well. I would not at all feel attacked if someone shot Angela Merkel.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    No, because I know next to nothing about Lady Diana. And I don't believe she was assassinated. Accidents happen, but deliberate attempts to undermine the democratic process are particularly offensive, and that plays no small part in my outrage. I can't speak for anyone else though.
    So you, too, are less concerned for the person but rather about politics or the state of the country.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    So you, too, are less concerned for the person but rather about politics or the state of the country.
    No, I would say that there are a large number of variables in play, and I won't attempt to neglect them and narrow the feeling down to one or two specific roots.

  7. #37
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I cried when Mr. Rogers died. Public figures can become important to people despite not knowing them personally.
    I had to google Mr. Rogers, but I can understand that to some degree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    But this case doesn't disturb me because I was fond of her- I didn't know who she was before today. It disturbs me because it might be a result of the toxic political climate in the US.
    That I can understand as well, being bothered by the underlying illness rather than this symptom.

  8. #38
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,647

    Default

    I disagree with most of Angela Merkel's policies and didn't vote for her, but I would definitely get upset if she was assasinated. First of all because I believe in the inherent value of human life so even though death is unavoidable for all of us, taking another human life is an enormous offence and secondly because it would mean an attack on the democratic system in that somebody would have decided to eliminate a figurehead who was democratically elected by the people, whether I like it or not.

    I said upset, not sentimental. I might get sad when an artist dies whose work I liked because with him or her dies the hope for further good work and you can develope a sort of affection for people you never met in person through their work. I deplore the loss of human lifes in natural desasters, but I do not get very emotional over it.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  9. #39
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I disagree with most of Angela Merkel's policies and didn't vote for her, but I would definitely get upset if she was assasinated. First of all because I believe in the inherent value of human life so even though death is unavoidable for all of us, taking another human life is an enormous offence and secondly because it would mean an attack on the democratic system in that somebody would have decided to eliminate a figurehead who was democratically elected by the people, whether I like it or not.

    I said upset, not sentimental. I might get sad when an artist dies whose work I liked because with him or her dies the hope for further good work and you can develope a sort of affection for people you never met in person through their work. I deplore the loss of human lifes in natural desasters, but I do not get very emotional over it.
    How about if someone shot the pope?

  10. #40
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    How about if someone shot the pope?
    Hmm, good question. Not really democratically elected, but a representative of a group (I do not belong to). He is a human being so his murder would be deplorable. I am not emotionally attached to him although I respect his intellect. He would just be substituted by somebody with a similar agenda, not sure what other political consequences it would have..depends on who the murderer is. If I remember correctly, Lea Rabin says that one of the first thoughts at hearing of her husbands assasination was "please let it have been an Israeli, not a Palestinian", because otherwise there would have been enormous bloodshed.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] NTs, what do you honestly think about other temperaments in relation to yours?
    By ygolo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 11:35 PM
  2. Why there should be other purpose in life than...
    By alcea rosea in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 08:10 PM
  3. Alligators and other friends in Florida [Geoff's Pictures]
    By Geoff in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-26-2009, 07:46 PM
  4. Unarmed man shot in his driveway
    By kendoiwan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-10-2009, 03:38 AM
  5. Laughing at television more when others are in the room
    By digesthisickness in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-21-2007, 10:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO