User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

I am always amazed at how devastated people are about the death of someone they have never known.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    It's not uncommon for Congressmen to have lax security at some events. I've seen this firsthand.
    That's what cost the Swedish foreign secretary Anna Lidh her life when she was stabbed to death in a shopping centre in Stockholm in 2003 - no security measures, which was normal in Sweden at that time.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I am always amazed at how devastated people are about the death of someone they have never known.
    You misunderstand. We do know the person, that is why so many people care. Isn't that the point of being a public figure? To be well-known?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    That's what cost the Swedish foreign secretary Anna Lidh her life when she was stabbed to death in a shopping centre in Stockholm in 2003 - no security measures, which was normal in Sweden at that time.
    Hmmmn....I'm surprised there would be laxed security for somebody of that prominence. Congressmen are usually aren't that prominent figures to require such extensive security measures.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Some of us are more offended by the implications it makes about the state of politics in the country.

Not that getting shot is ever a happy thing, it's just when it may be political it cuts deeper.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Hmmmn....I'm surprised there would be laxed security for somebody of that prominence. Congressmen are usually aren't that prominent figures to require such extensive security measures.
    I think it's a cultural thing. I just checked, Olof Palme had no security details with him when he was assasinated in 1986 - and he was the prime minister! Looks like that tradition hadn't changed by 2003. Swedes seem to be much more trusting in that regard.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I think it's a cultural thing. I just checked, Olof Palme had no security details with him when he was assasinated in 1986 - and he was the prime minister! Looks like that tradition hadn't changed by 2003. Swedes seem to be much more trusting in that regard.
    That's interesting. Kinda reminds me of the old days here where private citizens could easily walk into the White House and demand an audience with the president. Abraham Lincoln did this quite frequently even with a massive war going on. He would also frequently walk out in the open to the telegraph office too. Good luck doing that nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    You misunderstand. We do know the person, that is why so many people care. Isn't that the point of being a public figure? To be well-known?
    I meant knowing in a more private, personal way.

Did you cry over Lady Diana's death?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I don't know nor am I particularly familiar with this public figure (nor do I believe most of the the American pubic is either). Nevertheless the shooting is symbolic on an attack on the government of the USA with violence. This has a powerful effect on a government, particularly one which holds itself as a government "of the people"...in other words some people feel these attacks are a proxy attack on them because they are of the people of the USA federal government/republic.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"