User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    *sigh*
    -------------------
    There are many places in the world where violence like this would be common and not make this much of an impact. I'm thankful that I live in a place where this kind of violence is shocking.

People can talk about policies all they want, but the frequency of violence and severity of violence is ultimately determined by the bravery and the beneficence of the people as a whole and not by specific policies. The government can punish violence and make violence more difficult, but it cannot stop violence.

When framed this way the problem hits much closer to home. That is that I can't simply sit here and say that the government should have done this or the media should have done that. Rather, I'm confronted with the responsibility to be a personal force for peace. True peace is not merely the absence of violence, but it is the presence of wholeness and welfare.

Therefore, if I can encourage people I have relationships with and build them up I can contribute to a society that values love, courage and self-sacrifice. This is the type of culture which will severely limit violence.

I find the acts of these brave individuals representative of such a culture.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

From Frumforum...

Ban extended magazines? - http://www.frumforum.com/ban-extended-magazines

I’ll admit: my own views on the 2nd amendment are muddy. I agree that the Constitution affirms an individual right to gun ownership. Yet a lot of the restrictions of that right that are proposed from time to time also seem sensible to me. At the same time, as an only very occasional gun user, I am also aware that I don’t have the best sensitivities on the issue. So when I heard Sen. Frank Lautenberg’s proposal to revive the ban on extended magazines, I consulted the most experienced gun user I know, the blogger who writes under the byline “Sean Linnane.”

My question:

What’s your view on restoring the ban on extended magazines? Sounds reasonable doesn’t it?

His answer:

Ask this question of the people living on the border at high-level crossing points in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California.

A ban on extended magazines is not at all reasonable, for several reasons:

a) The Second Amendment specifies a tactical capability – i.e. the citizenry is armed for military purposes. The way it reads, we should actually be armed & trained just like they are in Switzerland (and Israel).

b) Such partial weapons bans are symbolic. They target ‘cosmetic’ portions of weaponry and serve as stepping stones to gun control (as in Illinois, New York, Washington DC and Massachusetts).

c) The day you have to defend yourself and your family, you will want the highest capacity magazines available. It is not High Noon; in a situation even a trained marksman seeks cover and puts as many rounds downrange as possible.

The sane, logical reason we oppose such “reasonable” measures are because they constrain law-abiding citizens while the criminals continue to arm themselves with anything and everything available.

Answer your question?

Default on honoring the good

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    There are many places in the world where violence like this would be common and not make this much of an impact. I'm thankful that I live in a place where this kind of violence is shocking.

People can talk about policies all they want, but the frequency of violence and severity of violence is ultimately determined by the bravery and the beneficence of the people as a whole and not by specific policies. The government can punish violence and make violence more difficult, but it cannot stop violence.

When framed this way the problem hits much closer to home. That is that I can't simply sit here and say that the government should have done this or the media should have done that. Rather, I'm confronted with the responsibility to be a personal force for peace. True peace is not merely the absence of violence, but it is the presence of wholeness and welfare.

Therefore, if I can encourage people I have relationships with and build them up I can contribute to a society that values love, courage and self-sacrifice. This is the type of culture which will severely limit violence.

I find the acts of these brave individuals representative of such a culture.
    Thank you so much for this beautifully profound post. I agree with it wholeheartedly.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

So much going on here!

Guns and violence. Forget the permits, who is allowed to buy and own a gun...you can go out and buy a gun as easily as you can buy dope.

This man sounds like he is really ill. If he had NOT shot a congresswoman at an event like this, people would be yelling about how we need to do something about the dangerous mentally ill population in the country. The man's condition and easy access to guns has been completely lost because the current political climate in this country is so very bad. There are so many people that are thinking that with all the anger and frustration that this was bound to happen...it was just a matter of time. Now that the worse has come to pass, people are worried that more may follow.

How likely is that? And what role does the media have (or should have) in trying to defuse this mess?

The whole thing is just nuts and sad...my heart really goes out to all the people involved. It's awful that so many vultures are flocking in to the scene now.

MBTI
    XXFP

With the details coming out, I pose this question:

Was this truly a political act? In the sense of a call to arms, or to destroy certain targets for political reasons?

Or is this is more the act of someone with serious mental health issues who chose a target based on accessibility and fame rather than on specific political motives (similar but obviously distinct from the Reagan assassination attempt, for example)?
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Edits:
    *to note the resignation in marm's extensively edited post(s).
    ** clearly you didn't stand by your own.
    Resignation? I edited my posts because I thought I was being excessively rude, and that was unnecessary, that I could have said the same thing in more rational language.

I'm not an IxxJ, apparently, because I don't have this value of having to stand by every single thing I say. I see communication as fluid, and I'm able to admit when I'm wrong, like how I thanked you for your original correction.

Though I do stand by my original assessment that you were being passive-aggressive and I don't like how you brought up my same post twice without a clear reason.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    With the details coming out, I pose this question:

Was this truly a political act? In the sense of a call to arms, or to destroy certain targets for political reasons?

Or is this is more the act of someone with serious mental health issues who chose a target based on accessibility and fame rather than on specific political motives (similar but obviously distinct from the Reagan assassination attempt, for example)?
    In case you haven't noticed, we've been asking that question for the past twenty pages, and apparently Vasilisa doesn't like it.

He OBVIOUSLY has mental health issues. Whether or not it's truly political remains to be seen.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    XXFP

A variety of topics are being addressed in this thread.

This is to you, Marm, but I'm also writing this to everyone and anyone else.

Personal attacks and name calling aren't helpful. I'm not trying to attack or censor you. You are entitled to speak your opinions. But I'd ask, for our mutual benefit, and the benefit of everyone else, that you do so respectfully, especially considering the grave implications of the topic at hand and the already emotionally charged atmosphere around it.

There are bigger issues here than some petty disagreements. Perhaps greater understandings and finding solutions can come out of this conversation - but that won't happen in an environment that is being charged up every time you call someone a name, label them into a group, or unnecessarily cause a fuss. That pushes all of us farther away from finding any sort of understandings and closer toward repetitive, mindless rhetoric.

Please, just play nice?
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Why don't you tell Vasilisa to play nice. Do you not see it?

I bet people with Fi see this more clearly than people with Fe. Only an Fi person probably perceives her behavior as nasty.