User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The magazine he used was illegal under a law which no longer exists.

So there was nothing illegal about the gun he had.

Blame the crazy, not the tool they use.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The magazine he used was illegal under a law which no longer exists.

So there was nothing illegal about the gun he had.

Blame the crazy, not the tool they use.
    Indeed there was not anything illegal about the gun he had. I'm saying there was at one time, pretty recently in fact, and perhaps still should have been. Why are we giving mentally ill people access to "tools" that have no other purpose but to shoot 30 projectiles at lethal velocity without reloading?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm fine with weeding out the crazies.

Background checks are fine.

I think we just need to tighten up the screening process.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Indeed there was not anything illegal about the gun he had. I'm saying there was at one time, pretty recently in fact, and perhaps still should have been. Why are we giving mentally ill people access to "tools" that have no other purpose but to shoot 30 projectiles at lethal velocity without reloading?
    I don't think crazy people should have weapons, either. Was he ever diagnosed with any sort of mental disorder? I don't recall reading anything that said he was. If he wasn't diagnosed, I don't know what the government could have done to stop him from purchasing a weapon.

Should the government require that every person trying to buy a fire arm undergo some sort of psychiatric screening?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't think crazy people should have weapons, either. Was he ever diagnosed with any sort of mental disorder? I don't recall reading anything that said he was. If he wasn't diagnosed, I don't know what the government could have done to stop him from purchasing a weapon.

Should the government require that every person trying to buy a fire arm undergo some sort of psychiatric screening?
    He was kicked out of school and rejected for the military, both because he was mentally unstable. Wouldn't that kind of thing show up on a screening? Or, I guess, shouldn't it?

MBTI
    ESFJ

I haven't fact-checked this but I read on salon.com that the gun he used was illegal to own under a Clinton-era assault weapons ban that expired in 2004.
    Was it a Glock 19? I thought I read that somewhere. That gun itself wasn't illegal, but the special 30+ round clip would have been, AFAIK.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Was it a Glock 19? I thought I read that somewhere. That gun itself wasn't illegal, but the special 30+ round clip would have been, AFAIK.
    You're correct, my mistake. Here's the article:

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/w...lt_weapons_ban

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post

I don't think "crazy" should be the criteria - I have a mental health condition, so I guess I'm technically "crazy" but I don't think people like me are the ones who shouldn't own guns (not that I want to). A background check would seem to be more appropriate than a psychiatric evaluation - there are lots of criminals who are perfectly "sane" (in the clinical sense...) who definitely should not have access to weapons. This guy's background check would have come up with some red flags.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

He was kicked out of school and rejected for the military, both because he was mentally unstable. Wouldn't that kind of thing show up on a screening? Or, I guess, shouldn't it?
    I read that the military rejected him because of drug use. I haven't read anything about the school having him see a psychiatrist, so I doubt there was any sort of official evaluation.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    I don't think "crazy" should be the criteria - I have a mental health condition, so I guess I'm technically "crazy" but I don't think people like me are the ones who shouldn't own guns (not that I want to). A background check would seem to be more appropriate than a psychiatric evaluation - there are lots of criminals who are perfectly "sane" (in the clinical sense...) who definitely should not have access to weapons. This guy's background check would have come up with some red flags.
    Wait, "crazy" isn't a clinical term? I could have sworn it was.

I don't think a background check is necessarily any more or less accurate than a psychiatric evaluation. This is a very muddy area.