User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

MBTI
    XXFP

Some people can take one thing in their mind and turn it into proof for anything else.

It's a problem when assumptions spin out of control for many reasons.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

What if no one sees proof of anything and is just asking why? I think that's human to do in these situations, ask why it happened, and by asking questions and having discussion people learn things.

An Internet forum is a perfect place to have such discussions in the abstract, as we're not actually sitting in the families' homes and speculating about it.

It's a wonderful thing to correct people's information, it's entirely another to attack them for asking questions, or being misinformed, or trying to understand.

MBTI
    XXFP

Asking questions and posing hypotheticals is a separate issue from jumping up to label viewpoints of anyone who is moderately oppositional (in what very much appears to be an effort to discredit them on that basis.)
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ???

Below is an excellent clip from the Daily Show (I am admittedly a Jon Stewart fiend) that I think is a very eloquent reaction to this horrible event.

http://http://tv.gawker.com/5730178/...izona-shooting
    "Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Below is an excellent clip from the Daily Show (I am admittedly a Jon Stewart fiend) that I think is a very eloquent reaction to this horrible event.

http://http://tv.gawker.com/5730178/...izona-shooting
    That kind of reaction restores my hope for a glimmer of change--just the fact that someone that reasonable would find such a wide audience doing political humor is heartening. I love this quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Stewart
    I do think that its important for us to watch our rhetoric, I do think that its a worthwhile goal not to conflate our political opponents with our enemies if for no other reason than to draw a better distinction between the manifestos of paranoid mad men and what passes for acceptable political and pundit speak. It would be really nice if the ramblings of crazy people didn’t in any way resemble how we actually talk to each other on TV. Let’s at least make troubled individuals easier to spot.
    Something Witty

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Asking questions and posing hypotheticals is a separate issue from jumping up to label viewpoints of anyone who is moderately oppositional (in what very much appears to be an effort to discredit them on that basis.)
    I actually wasn't trying to discredit Vasilisa at all. I mentally noted her earlier correction, and appreciate her additional information.

It was the way she pointedly referenced the same post of mine twice that let me know she had a reason - a very simple reason which she easily could have shared.

The reason why this annoys me is because she was insinuating that I should have somehow known better than to speculate about the gunman's motives, without even knowing what her reasoning was for being so offended.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    more guns =/= more safety
    True. Guns are used for self-defense in about 2 of every 1000 incidents of violence (American Journal of Public Health). Differing state gun laws do not have any real impact on that figure from what I can tell.

Some other fallout from the incident: the gunman was apprehended by bystanders when he paused to reload. By that point, he had already shot 20 people, killing 6. So now Congresspeople are looking to legislate weapons with unnecessarily large clip sizes as not needed for anything unless you want to cause maximum destruction. The gunman's weapon held 33 bullets per clip.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_807033.html

In fact you do not know my precise reasons. Not everyone is interested in posting up personal information on the internet. If you want to see it as me criticizing etiquette out of passive aggression, then thats your prerogative. I stand by my post.**

I do suspect I may be the first person ever to be accused of being a conservative in direct response to posting a MotherJones article, but I can appreciate that life is filled with such ironies.*

And the Jon Stewart segment was quite heartening to hear actually. I agreed with it, thanks for posting.

Edits:
    *to note the resignation in marm's extensively edited post(s).
    ** clearly you didn't stand by your own.
    Last edited by Vasilisa; 01-11-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: in response to context-stripping editing.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    In fact you do not know my precise reasons. Not everyone is interested in posting up personal information on the internet. If you want to see it as me criticizing etiquette out of passive aggression, then thats your prerogative. I stand by my post.

I do suspect I may be the first person ever to be accused of being a conservative in direct response to posting a MotherJones article, but I can appreciate that life is filled with such ironies.

And the Jon Stewart segment was quite heartening to hear actually. I agreed with it, thanks for posting.
    I have no idea what you're so offended about, and I don't claim to. I do however take offense to people passive-aggressively directing my attention to a mistake I made TWICE as if I committed some huuuuge unforgivable social gaffe that couldn't be corrected in one shot.

If you won't explain yourself to others, then they're only left to assume. I don't want to know your personal details, don't worry, I am not prying. I just felt as though I was being personally attacked.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I haven't fact-checked this but I read on salon.com that the gun he used was illegal to own under a Clinton-era assault weapons ban that expired in 2004.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii