User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    1.) Like you said originally, it was the left back when Bush was President; that's how things usually work. The left's demonization of opponents has been somewhat calmer (until it became apparent that they were going to lose the mid-terms badly) while they controlled government, but no less extreme in content.

2.) That specific comment (which is hardly the same thing as using gun or hunting metaphors in general) was out of line, and it hurt Angle politically. Criticizing Palin for putting the congresswoman in the metaphorical cross-hairs is just absurd, particularly as Daily Kos did pretty much the same thing back in 2008.
    I don't know which party is more hyperbolic right now. They're both pretty bad, but my opinion is that the current trend of increasingly hyperbolic rhetoric started with Rush Limbaugh back in the 80s. He was the first major actor that I know of, turning the world "liberal" into a pejorative.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Both parties are guilty of escalating the rhetoric to an unnecessarily combative level. However, I don't think anyone can deny that the audience on the right is better equipped to take the gun metaphors literally. Lefties tend to be more ineffectual.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Making the guns unavailable to the criminally insane is fine....

As is requiring thorough checks before an individual can acquire weapons.

Beyond that, gun control doesn't really work.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

But it does work, and has been evidenced to work in other countries.

I really hate this idea that our government must either be totally free of social conscience or control, lest we become the freaking Soviet Union.

There's a lot in between those two extremes.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Other countries without an already heavily armed populace.

The criminals have guns. Pass a law banning guns and they still will.

The only thing banning guns does is limit the ability of an already worried populace, to defend itself.

MBTI
    INTP

Buying a gun should be like buying a knife

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The person who tried to shoot up the progressive Tides Foundation was a rabid Glenn Beck fan, according to what his mother told police.

Can't say whether this guy was affected by the right-wing talk radio/FOX News fear ratcheting. If the atmosphere wasn't "it's Armageddon, anti-government, buy survival seeds, progressives are evil" and there wasn't all the mess in Arizona surrounding anti-immigration efforts, would this have happened? Probably not, but you can never be sure.
    It's true. Some of these mainstream right wing people are fucking nuts. They go around spouting things with no basis in logic or truth, which are just completely paranoid and inflammatory. Of course you have people like that on the left as well (which is part of what made me start to fear the whole dichotomy between the two parties, and smarten up to the fact that the taking of sides has gotten ridiculously extreme to the point of being a parody of itself) I'm far more moderate now than I was a few years ago due to wacko lefties...however, with the right it seems to be everybody who is like that. Why does it seem like everyone on the right who is a mainstream public figurehead is a freaking retarded wacko? I know we have them on the left, too, but the ones on the right are so convinced they are right that they scream and yell and make asses out of themselves in public on the daily. They also tend to hoard guns and fear their neighbors. WTH.

At any rate, I'm telling you schizophrenics can be influenced by everything, and the Charles in Charge example wasn't just a joke...there are people who think people from sitcoms are talking to them or about them. The difference is that with something as inoccuous as a sitcom, violence and partisan behavior isn't generally promoted. HOWEVER the same level of violence could be perpetuated by a video game or an action film or horror movie, not just Fox News. I can't stress that enough.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Why does it seem like everyone on the right is a freaking retarded wacko? I know we have them on the left, too, but the ones on the right are so convinced they are right that they scream and yell and make asses out of themselves in public on the daily. They also tend to hoard guns and fear their neighbors. WTH.
    Last edited by ajblaise; 01-10-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: flame changed to flowers

MBTI
    INTP

Understanding why a person behaves a certain way or believes a certain thing is essential when it comes to forming an opinion about that person

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    [IMG]pic removed[/IMG]
    The fact that you aren't embarrassed of people like Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin, and didn't logically explain to me your position to make me see what's rational about being right wing in this country does absolutely nothing to promote your case.

On the other hand, I'd like to point out to you that I don't think individuals who are right wing are retarded wackos, but the mainstream public figureheads for the right, which I should have clarified in my post.
    Last edited by Randomnity; 01-11-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: flame removed