User Tag List

First 6789 Last

MBTI
    XXFP

Giggly:

Marijuana doesn't have the same addictive effects that alcohol has, so people don't physically need or crave it in such a way they would need alcohol pick-me-ups.

There are some claims that it is psychologically addictive. This is a point of some contention.
    Two viewpoints:
    http://healthland.time.com/2010/10/1...ine-addiction/

http://www.nida.nih.gov/researchrepo...html#addictive

And the clarification of "functional user" was useful, thanks.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

My guestimation is that at least one out of every eight or so service industry and manual labor workers you'll meet is a functional user.
    I also am friends with somebody majoring in theoretical mathematics at a well known university who smokes a ton of weed on a daily basis.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fan.of.Devin View Post
    My guestimation is that at least one out of every eight or so service industry and manual labor workers you'll meet is a functional user.
    I also am friends with somebody majoring in theoretical mathematics at a well known university who smokes a ton of weed on a daily basis.
    Drug use might be the appropriate response to working at McDonald's. What a soul crushing endeavor.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Drug use might be the appropriate response to working at McDonald's. What a soul crushing endeavor.
    Yeah, prettymuch.
    I worked at McDonald's one summer, when I was in highschool, and I was just about the only person not high there...

Weed is somewhat of a godsend to people who work boring/stressful/exhausting jobs, I think, prettymuch irregardless of class or pay.
    It also seems to have a similar standing in creative fields, naturally.

I think a lot of people don't realize exactly how widespread it's use really is.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fan.of.Devin View Post
    Yeah, prettymuch.
    I worked at McDonald's one summer, when I was in highschool, and I was just about the only person not high there...

Weed is somewhat of a godsend to people who work boring/stressful/exhausting jobs, I think, prettymuch irregardless of class or pay.
    It also seems to have a similar standing in creative fields, naturally.

I think a lot of people don't realize exactly how widespread it's use really is.
    If anyone gave the tiniest bit of consideration to what the underclass goes through, it would be obvious that they're mostly escaping through drugs and alcohol. But, the point is, we do not consider them.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I have no doubt that marijuana is psychologically addictive. Anything that makes you feel good can fall into that category.

I think certain drugs are still very taboo, unless your a part of a drug culture. Not everyone is okay with other people busting out lines or chasing some kind of dragon on their kitchen counter, lol. Seems pretty hardcore to do that in front of just anyone lol.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

At times in my life i would consider myself a functioning "pot-head"..and most of my irl friends are as well. It's very common where i live.
    "You can't take a picture of this...it's already gone."

“But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?”
    -Mark Twain

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i haven't noticed drug usage being more accepted by anyone....compared to what? in my lifetime i haven't seen a change...seems pretty common that people experiment somewhere between highschool and college and then grow up...stop smoking...start only occasionally socially drinking once they're close to 30...and then the new generation of teens and twenty somethings party but no more or less in my view than the previous one.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Giggly:

Marijuana doesn't have the same addictive effects that alcohol has, so people don't physically need or crave it in such a way they would need alcohol pick-me-ups.

There are some claims that it is psychologically addictive. This is a point of some contention.
    Two viewpoints:
    http://healthland.time.com/2010/10/1...ine-addiction/

http://www.nida.nih.gov/researchrepo...html#addictive

And the clarification of "functional user" was useful, thanks.
    Yes. Anything that causes the body to release endorphins can be psychologically addicting; the list includes marijuana, orgasms, shopping, video games, TV, and even love.

THC, being present in marijuana, naturally corresponds to the neurons of the human brain. If it weren't for our evolutionary history, we would not receive the same effect.

Honestly, I think that Lark isn't a far cry from those conservatives and D.A.R.E. advocates who portray "street" drugs as a horror with bat wings by dumbly clumping them in this "evil, omnipresent drug" category. Call it squabbling over semantics; drugs as the scientific community has headed them under, have been crucial to our medical advancements.

However, to answer Lark's intended question - I think illegal substances are just as popular now as they ever have been. Powerful people wage culture wars behind the scenes to underscore certain demographics of people by criminalizing drugs. For instance, the use of opium, largely associated with Chinese culture, was admonished in the U.S. during the 19th century. Today, marijuana is associated with the stereotype of lazy, lower class degenerates and Mexicans. If the plant has increased in overt popularity during the last 20 years, it's because it has indolently become more acceptable in the eyes of the wealthy, "higher-educated", and "well-bread".