User Tag List

First 56789 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah, I've heard that, its not the substances its the mass production or mass consumption that's the rub
    I believe the mass production and distribution is a big part of the problem, yes. I do not believe the substance itself is without problems, though, even in the old days. That being said, industrialization also plays a part here because it allowed for processes that can make far more powerful substances than people used to get their hands on.

, or its any number of the old temperance league arguments against alcohol recycled and suggested as the view of contemporary drugs naysayers, like its a vice of the working classes, ruin of the governing classes, death of the middle classes whatever.
    None of that has anything to do with what I believe.

There's a serious difference between then and that issue and now and the drugs issue, legal prohibition was folly not because of enforcement or widespread failure to comply with the law, it was folly because if there where the temperance views widespread enough to legislate the legislation wasnt necessary was it?
    That doesn't always apply. If it did, there'd be no laws at all. In the particular case of drug use, however, it seems that criminalization will not stop people from taking drugs or even significantly decrease the number of taking drugs and what's more it has consequences all its own.

The difference now is that there's widespread acceptance of drug use, so pretty much, it would appear, the only obsticles to a wholesale societal tunning in, turning on, dropping out is exist laws preventing it, I dont even hear the pretty machavellian "I wouldnt ever but others should be able to (because I'm gonna sell to them)" arguments so much anymore.
    This really depends on how much the law is actually influencing the culture in this regard. At the time being it's just a guess, because there's no evidence that criminalizing drugs turns the culture away from it. There's arguably even evidence against that (Portugal, where it is decriminalized, or The Netherlands, where the laws are practically unenforced).

That's why I reckon people shouldnt piss around with arguments about prohibitive laws, instead they should consider is this thing right or wrong.
    Why are these two things mutually exclusive?

I also think people should really consider what is right or wrong. That does not make us different, which means it must not be the factor that's causing us to disagree about drug laws.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    When I say functioning, what I mean is, they go to their 9-5 job high on marijuana daily and are able to keep the job. They also keep their home/personal life in acceptable order.
    Why would you consider that as a defintion of "functioning"? Isn't it a bit close minded?

Anyway, I know some students that use marijuana on an almost daily basis and managed to obtain their master's degree on time (in 5 years, basically). It seemed that pot helped them weed off some anxity when schedules became stressful.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

This is what I find anyway, would you agree or disagree or what have you found yourselves?
    Drugs have always been accepted. When the doctor prescribes the drug, it is not a drug any more, huh? And where do you fetch the drug the good doctor prescribed to you?
    In the drug store.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

That's why I reckon people shouldnt piss around with arguments about prohibitive laws, instead they should consider is this thing right or wrong.
    What's the standards here again to define "right" vs "wrong" in terms of various types of drug use (depending on what is considered a drug)?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I define wrong as in the ditch weed I got sold.

DC has medical bud. I can't wait to move.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    What I've found is that pot usage has come out of hiding but the number of users aren't noticeably different.
    This.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Processed sugar is highly addictive and has adverse health effects. Why is it legal?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What's the standards here again to define "right" vs "wrong" in terms of various types of drug use (depending on what is considered a drug)?
    God.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    In the drug store.
    LOL.

"Drug store" isn't politically correct in my country.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Why would you consider that as a defintion of "functioning"? Isn't it a bit close minded?

Anyway, I know some students that use marijuana on an almost daily basis and managed to obtain their master's degree on time (in 5 years, basically). It seemed that pot helped them weed off some anxity when schedules became stressful.

That would be functioning, imo. Going to school full-time is a responsibility and if you do it well while using marijuana then I'd consider that functioning. If they can continue to function in a career after graduating while using marijuana daily, same thing and more proof.

To those who asked in this thread: A functioning alcoholic does go to work after/while drinking. Functioning alcoholics need to drink everyday in order to function normally, or they will have severe unpleasant physiological effects. Because of this they have a "pick me up" drink in the mornings before going off to work, similarly to how some people drink coffee in the mornings to start their day. You'd never know these people were drunk because they appear normal and function well enough in their jobs.

Someone who only uses marijuana outside of work or school time would be a recreational user, not a functional user. I, personally, don't know any functional marijuana users. Which is why I asked the question.