User Tag List

First 34567 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Honestly, though, drug use wasn't always the way it is now. But nothing was the same after the industrial revolution.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INtP

I think just the use of the word "drugs", as if they're equivalent simply muddies the debate. Inevitably substances that can be and are used responsibly (including alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, and even marijuana) are associated with the methamphetamines, cracks, and PCP's of the world. It's simply not the same argument.

And then there's legitimate medical use... which I automatically discount from the conversation, simply because a (presumably objective) professional is in charge of the type, dosage, and consumption of said drug for a specific purpose. Let's face it -- doctors are able to prescribe a lot of incredibly dangerous things -- because the expectation is that they'll only do so when warranted, and the control of the use (in theory) doesn't depend upon the person whose behaviors may be modified by said usage. The whole "medical marijuana" argument always seemed simply stupid to me. Why *wouldn't* a doctor be able to prescribe marijuana if they felt that it was the most appropriate medication? They've always been able to prescribe things like morphine or chemotherapeutic agents that are *much* more dangerous. Now I'll also say that the majority of the "medical" marijuana usage was always pretty transparently "I want to smoke, let's see if I can jump through a loophole to make it legal" thing.

I guess I'm with Magic on this one, in that I'd rather stuff like marijuana be legal, even if I'm completely anti-recreational drug myself (I pretty much a complete non-user, so while I may be a stick-in-the-mud, I'm not a hypocrite ). I'm not anywhere near so certain about "harder" drugs like methamphetamines and heroin. There's definitely a (possibly convincing) argument to bring that behavior under regulation in the name of safety for all concerned, but I'm not altogether comfortable with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I know there's such a thing as a functioning alcoholic (not that they are great) but is there such a thing as a functioning pot head?

When I say functioning, what I mean is, they go to their 9-5 job high on marijuana daily and are able to keep the job. They also keep their home/personal life in acceptable order.

I'm just asking because I don't know any people to personally observe like this and I am genuinely curious. All the people who I know who smoke marijuana daily can't keep a job, but perhaps that is for other reasons.

The purpose of this question is not to slam anyone who smokes pot but to gauge how functional they are. I have no problem with recreational smoking. In fact, where I live here in california, starting in the new year, they have made it so that you only get fined $100 and an infraction (used to be a misdeamenor) if you get caught with an ounce or less of marijuana on you.

Still, I'm not sure I'd want even that showing on my record. Just like I wouldn't want a DUI showing on my record. Employers don't like either one.

Anyways, please educate me.
    I know some extremely highly functioning potheads.

Also, functioning alcoholics aren't necessarily going to their jobs drunk; so, neither need be functioning potheads...

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Honestly, though, drug use wasn't always the way it is now. But nothing was the same after the industrial revolution.
    How was it before?

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    How was it before?
    The way everything was before.

Less distributed.
    Less produced.
    Less refined.
    Less standardized (might sound like a funny word for illicit drugs, but it's true!).
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

The way everything was before.

Less distributed.
    Less produced.
    Less refined.
    Less standardized (might sound like a funny word for illicit drugs, but it's true!).
    So you'd prefer a grow-your-own drug culture over the current one?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I know there's such a thing as a functioning alcoholic (not that they are great) but is there such a thing as a functioning pot head?

When I say functioning, what I mean is, they go to their 9-5 job high on marijuana daily and are able to keep the job. They also keep their home/personal life in acceptable order.

I'm just asking because I don't know any people to personally observe like this and I am genuinely curious. All the people who I know who smoke marijuana daily can't keep a job, but perhaps that is for other reasons.

The purpose of this question is not to slam anyone who smokes pot but to gauge how functional they are. I have no problem with recreational smoking. In fact, where I live here in california, starting in the new year, they have made it so that you only get fined $100 and an infraction (used to be a misdeamenor) if you get caught with an ounce or less of marijuana on you.

Still, I'm not sure I'd want even that showing on my record. Just like I wouldn't want a DUI showing on my record. Employers don't like either one.

Anyways, please educate me.
    I'm sorry, but this is just a case of silly bias. There are people who sit around smoking pot all day, and people who do nothing but drink. There are also people in professional positions - like lawyers, for example - who smoke pot, just as there are professional people with highly functioning lives who drink.

I'm not calling you silly, FWIW, it just seems like a ridiculous image of people who smoke marijuana which has been perpetuated by the media and public school health class films. People who smoke pot heavily actually tend to have less health problems than people who drink alcohol heavily, though I will say that neither activity is good in the extreme, and both should be done with sensible moderation.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

So you'd prefer a grow-your-own drug culture over the current one?
    Tentatively, I think I would.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You could say this but still recognize that heavy consumption of alcohol goes back for extremely long periods of time in history in both Europe and Asia, and in some cultures, like the Incas of Peru, they chew coca leaves as a kind of matter-of-fact thing.

Drugs and medicine are part of the human condition, it's just now they're better marketed by pharmeceutical companies.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Tentatively, I think I would.
    That could be legislated, ya know.

That were, if 40% of the populace weren't Si-dom's or aux's...

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    You could say this but still recognize that heavy consumption of alcohol goes back for extremely long periods of time in history in both Europe and Asia, and in some cultures, like the Incas of Peru, they chew coca leaves as a kind of matter-of-fact thing.

Drugs and medicine are part of the human condition, it's just now they're better marketed by pharmeceutical companies.
    I know, as you can see from the continuing exchange.

That could be legislated, ya know.

That were, if 40% of the populace weren't Si-dom's or aux's...
    Well, I think it should all be decriminalized. But I don't know what else you have in mind.
    Go to sleep, iguana.