User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont think of alcohol and caffine as drugs, that's not what I was talking about but I do think that mentioning them for the purposes of comparisons is part of what I was talking about.
    Because they're legalized? I don't consider marijuana a drug.
    And what about if it was prohibition times, would you consider alcohol a drug then?

Caffine gives me panic attacks, alcohol, when consumed in small amounts either relaxes me or gives me anxiety (i can never tell which until it happens), and gives me depressive thoughts...when in larger amounts i black out. Both have caused me more suffering than the illegal "drugs" i've used.
    "You can't take a picture of this...it's already gone."

“But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?”
    -Mark Twain

I dont think of alcohol and caffine as drugs, that's not what I was talking about but I do think that mentioning them for the purposes of comparisons is part of what I was talking about.
    What? They're both drugs. Alcohol is highly addictive to some and caffeine is highly addictive to most. Both alcohol and caffeine impact on dopamine levels.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FakePlasticAlice View Post
    Because they're legalized?
    No.

I don't consider marijuana a drug.
    And what about if it was prohibition times, would you consider alcohol a drug then?
    I understand what you are saying. Its actually the reason why I posted this thread. There's lots of talk about the legality of drugs, other more or less philosophical musings, instead of the acceptance of drug use.

Just in response to mentioning prohibition, no, I dont think its the same, I think its a false analogy actually and there's no moral equivalence.

Caffine gives me panic attacks, alcohol, when consumed in small amounts either relaxes me or gives me anxiety (i can never tell which until it happens), and gives me depressive thoughts...when in larger amounts i black out. Both have caused me more suffering than the illegal "drugs" i've used.
    Again I dont think there's equivalence.

Likewise I wouldnt suggest that either alcohol or caffine are harmless but like I say there's not equivalence between them and what I would consider drugs.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    What? They're both drugs. Alcohol is highly addictive to some and caffeine is highly addictive to most. Both alcohol and caffeine impact on dopamine levels.
    Yeah, I've responded to this.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Maybe i'm just missing the point... but i really don't understand why you don't consider alcohol and caffine drugs.

“But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?”
    -Mark Twain

Yeah, I've responded to this.
    I read it and redefining the word drug doesn't make it so. It means your interpretation of what's a drug and science's interpretation of what's a drug, differ. I'd back off from suggesting that they're not drugs or are harmless. Consider the drunk driving injuries and fatalities. Consider the sheer number of alcoholics and other alcohol related injuries and deaths.

So you know, I neither support or negate drug usage and acknowledge that I'm a drug user of caffeine and alcohol. The more important stance for me is that it's peoples' choice what they choose to do with their lives including committing suicide.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

^ THAT!

-Mark Twain

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    I read it and redefining the word drug doesn't make it so. It means your interpretation of what's a drug and science's interpretation of what's a drug, differ. I'd back off from suggesting that they're not drugs or are harmless. Consider the drunk driving injuries and fatalities. Consider the sheer number of alcoholics and other alcohol related injuries and deaths.

So you know, I neither support or negate drug usage and acknowledge that I'm a drug user of caffeine and alcohol. The more important stance for me is that it's peoples' choice what they choose to do with their lives including committing suicide.
    I'm aware that many people choose to sit on the fence when it comes to really difficult topics. That's alright.

I've highlighted a part of your post because you've missed or choosen to ignore my previous post:

Likewise I wouldnt suggest that either alcohol or caffine are harmless but like I say there's not equivalence between them and what I would consider drugs.
    There you go. I could bold my posts in future to avoid any kind of mistake if that would help you out.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

drug (drug)
    1. a chemical substance that affects or alters the processes of the mind or body.

A drug, broadly speaking, is any substance that, when absorbed into the body of a living organism, alters normal bodily function.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I'm sorry I started this thread now that its descended into semantics so quickly.

Anyway like I said implying that there's parity or equivalence between caffine and alcohol and drugs was not the purpose of the thread although it proves the point I began with in the original post, drug us IS widely supported and socially acceptable now.

As acceptable as coffee and alcohol. I believe that's a shame.