User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default TSA does something else stupid.

This is not about the "patriot pilot" or the gun that got past security. This is again about the pat-downs, but not about how they're invasive. This is about how they're failures.

Take a look.

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=13752120

Tammy Banovac reportedly had an "unusual contour on her buttocks" and was therefore not allowed to board the plane, but was allowed to sleep at the airport and try to get through security the next morning.

Think about this for a minute.

These procedures are supposed to prevent people from boarding the plane with bombs in their underpants. Another source I saw said that the TSA wouldn't allow her to strip to prove her innocence because TSA officers aren't authorized to conduct actual strip searches. So, with this "unusual contour" by her buttocks, she was allowed to stay at the airport, and the TSA was allowed to say "another plane saved!"

While if she had actually had a bomb in her pants, she could have just gone to the check-baggage line and blown it up, killing and injuring hundreds of people.

Even if it was PETN and difficult to explode, she could have gone into the bathroom and blown it up, killing people in the bathroom and causing a lot of damage to the airport.

Think about it. If this had been the actual "underpants bomber," they would have found an "unusual contour" at his groin, and because the explosives were sewn in there it's not like he could have just taken it out. The same thing woud have happened to him as would have happened to Banovac, and people would have still died, and it still would have been the TSA's fault.

Why do we have these policies if they don't even protect against the exact thing they're meant to protect against?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Epiphany

If she blows anything up outside of the sterile area then it's not really TSA's fault. Their job is to ensure that explosives don't get through the checkpoint. The fact that she made a spectacle of herself the last time she went through security is cause to question her behavior. I used to work for TSA and never encountered an individual in a wheel chair who couldn't be cleared. If she had a buldge then there was obviously something there. It sounds like she was just looking for more attention and wanted to be strip searched to make another "statement." As much shit as TSA gets, it's a thankless job, but a necessary one.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    This is not about the "patriot pilot" or the gun that got past security. This is again about the pat-downs, but not about how they're invasive. This is about how they're failures.

Take a look.

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=13752120

Tammy Banovac reportedly had an "unusual contour on her buttocks" and was therefore not allowed to board the plane, but was allowed to sleep at the airport and try to get through security the next morning.

Think about this for a minute.

These procedures are supposed to prevent people from boarding the plane with bombs in their underpants. Another source I saw said that the TSA wouldn't allow her to strip to prove her innocence because TSA officers aren't authorized to conduct actual strip searches. So, with this "unusual contour" by her buttocks, she was allowed to stay at the airport, and the TSA was allowed to say "another plane saved!"

While if she had actually had a bomb in her pants, she could have just gone to the check-baggage line and blown it up, killing and injuring hundreds of people.

Even if it was PETN and difficult to explode, she could have gone into the bathroom and blown it up, killing people in the bathroom and causing a lot of damage to the airport.

Think about it. If this had been the actual "underpants bomber," they would have found an "unusual contour" at his groin, and because the explosives were sewn in there it's not like he could have just taken it out. The same thing woud have happened to him as would have happened to Banovac, and people would have still died, and it still would have been the TSA's fault.

Why do we have these policies if they don't even protect against the exact thing they're meant to protect against?
    What do you suggest?

Epiphany

"Do I look like a terrorist to you?" I can't tell you how many times I heard that from passengers who thought their race, gender, or attire should exempt them from the screening process. You really can't argue with ignorance.

This picture says a thousand words.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Yeah, I'm honestly failing to understand the 'bash the TSA' bandwagon that seems to be developing everywhere.

Bomber gets onto a plane and causes a tragedy. Bash the TSA for failing at their job.
    Innocent person gets pat down/stuck at airport. Bash the TSA for over-doing their job.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

It's a job I'd not want to do.

MBTI
    INtP

The TSA gets a bad rap not because the people doing their jobs screening are bad (well, with the exceptions you'll find in any large organization), it's that their policies are pretty transparently ineffective and focused more on "see, we're doing something, but YOU SHOULD BE SCARED!" rather than actually making a serious improvement in airline safety (and don't forget -- even prior to the TSA, flying was and still is by far the safest way to travel). There are also some pretty shaky connections between the folks who sell expensive scanners and the TSA management.

Lockable sturdy cockpit doors? Useful. Making me take off my shoes and ration liquid into 3-oz containers? Not useful. Chemical-detecting animals (dogs/pigs)? Useful. High-powered scanners and "up the leg until I feel resistance" pat-downs? Not useful. If we were really serious about saving lives, we'd force all cars to have breathalyzer-ignition switches. Not that I'm a proponent of such things, but the magnitude of drunk driving injuries/deaths dwarfs problems in airline safety.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Yeah, I'm honestly failing to understand the 'bash the TSA' bandwagon that seems to be developing everywhere.

Bomber gets onto a plane and causes a tragedy. Bash the TSA for failing at their job.
    Innocent person gets pat down/stuck at airport. Bash the TSA for over-doing their job.
    The point is not that she didn't get a pat down.

If they're trying to make sure you don't have a bomb in your underpants, why don't they have the authority to make sure you don't have a bomb in your underpants?

So if she went and blew up the check-baggage lines, which are overcrowded now, and managed to kill a hundred people, that would be "not the TSA's problem", I mean, fucking seriously?

It's not even whether they're being "too invasive" blah blah blah. Why are they even doing this if they can't verify? I mean, obviously they couldn't verify. Otherwise, they would have let her on the plane because they would have figured out she wasn't a threat, or arrested her because she had a bomb in her pants. I mean, unless they're punishing people for their false-positives for absolutely no reason, which I wouldn't put them beyond.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Lockable sturdy cockpit doors? Useful. Making me take off my shoes and ration liquid into 3-oz containers? Not useful. Chemical-detecting animals (dogs/pigs)? Useful. High-powered scanners and "up the leg until I feel resistance" pat-downs? Not useful. If we were really serious about saving lives, we'd force all cars to have breathalyzer-ignition switches. Not that I'm a proponent of such things, but the magnitude of drunk driving injuries/deaths dwarfs problems in airline safety.
    ...Can I ask why/how you find pat-downs ineffective?
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    ...Can I ask why/how you find pat-downs ineffective?
    From both your first and this post, I'm guessing you didn't even read the OP, because you obviously do not understand my complaint.