User Tag List

123 Last

Default Peak oil and all of it consequences

Long ago I used to write huge first post that no one wanted to read because of their size. So I will not do that in this thread. Especially since links say alot.

For the last few years I am doing my own internet research about the subject and pretty every source says that the demand will outgrowth the production in a near future (max decade or two) or that it already did a few years ago. Especially since the demand is rapidly growing due to the economic boom in Asia. While the only people who disagree are the once that are saying something among the lines that Jesus will come back and start turning water into oil.

So here is what the wikipedia says
    Link1

And here is what one fairly good article say on the subjet.
    Link2

Which of course would not be the problem in the case that everthing depend upon the oil : transportation , construction machinery, food production , banking sector, army , chemical industry , mining industry, .... which are currenty spending about
    80 000 000 barrels a day globaly.

So my question is: Can someone debunk the idea that we going into the unprecedented energy crisis on the global level ?

Btw keep global warming out of this thread. We have plenty of other threads for that topic.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I have also did alot of research into this subject, I have already made two threads on peak oil. To me it seems that alot of people are ignorant or apathetic to this issue, the more people unprepared, the worst it's going to be for everybody else. I think we're going to have an energy crisis within the next 10 years(maybe even 2 or 3), the recession probably delayed the effects of peak oil by a few years but it is still coming and it will make life uncomfortable for many.
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    EXTJ
    Enneagram

I've heard about it. But I've always had it in the back of my mind, energy and resources.

Recently i saw things like "Collapse" (Michael Ruppert), and other follow up and related material.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImV1voi41YY"][/YOUTUBE]

I'm definitely up for discussing it. And I agree about the ignorance and apathy.

Banned
    MBTI
    EXTJ
    Enneagram

Huh? I posted a youtube video and it's not showing up? I used the youtube tags.

here's the link....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImV1voi41YY

The number of nuclear power plants are increasing, globally. Alternate fuel sources are being researched and also, some put into production and usage, such as harnessing wind and solar power. There's some research being done on creating petroleum. Can't remember the exact details but it has something to do with meshing synthetics with natural DNA. Not an expert on biogenetic engineering so hopefully someone else can flesh this out a bit more.

Crude oil reliance has got to go since it's a non-renewable resource.

MBTI
    INTP

The infrastructure necessary to handle the consequences could be fabricated so easily, and in the face of the alternatives, we will be motivated to do exactly that. As the consequences appear more and more material, eventually a threshold will be reached and people will react with a renewed fervor to continue their various endeavors. This will necessitate the fabrication of the new infrastructure.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

We're already heading to alternative energy sources for political reasons. I think we'll have transitioned before an oil shortage can cause pandemonium. We're almost there for solar/wind, the only thing we are missing is the killer storage system: safe fuel cells, or next gen batteries. We're so close.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

We wont run out of oil. It's created by the planet, much like it is on Saturn's moon, Titan (which, btw, has more hydrocarbons than even the earth does). You should find something else to scare yourself with and feel good about for being "enlightened". Seriously.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Someone invented a car engine that runs on water over 40 years ago..

Right now there is no money in water.. so this engine was put away in that big warehouse where they hid the Ark of the Covenant at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

Oil will be around until there is no more money to be made from it..

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

What's the efficiency of an engine that runs on water for fuel (should also consider the net efficiency, the energy/resources used up from getting the water to making your car move)?