User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Good thing I'm an American and don't live in the Malthusian nightmare that is the third world. They're really the ones who will be fucked. Americans will have to perhaps turn off the A/C at night.

Fortress America forever.

*bows head in thanksgiving for the birth lottery*
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFP

Abiotic theory and running out of oil is irrelevant, all wells follow a bellcurve. This is true for supply of the world as well. Peak oil is when our demands collide with available and extractable supply.
    This means its the end of Cheap oil. Market forces, supply demand. It all gets incredibly expensive from there, the most notable things being electricity, food and heating.

Let me remind you, THERES IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR OIL ...with our current worlds infrastructure. Nuclear, Solar, Wind NO......NOTHING! It takes at least 20 years to transform our infrastructure. We haven't even begun a real effort in this. Fact is, we are too late.
    One should try to disengage from dependency of that infrastructure as much as possible, so you don't get buttspanked later on.
    The trend is growing, food gardens, house proofing, life style changes.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    Abiotic theory and running out of oil is irrelevant, all wells follow a bellcurve. This is true for supply of the world as well. Peak oil is when our demands collide with available and extractable supply.
    This means its the end of Cheap oil. Market forces, supply demand. It all gets incredibly expensive from there, the most notable things being electricity, food and heating.

Let me remind you, THERES IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR OIL ...with our current worlds infrastructure. Nuclear, Solar, Wind NO......NOTHING! It takes at least 20 years to transform our infrastructure. We haven't even begun a real effort in this. Fact is, we are too late.
    One should try to disengage from dependency of that infrastructure as much as possible, so you don't get buttspanked later on.
    The trend is growing, food gardens, house proofing, life style changes.
    You greatly underestimate human ingenuity. Once the pressure is on, the necessary infrastructure will develop at an unprecedented pace.

MBTI
    INFP

No. Try paying and manufacturing such infrastructure while you're suffering from the high prices. People would be more concerned with their daily needs.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    No. Try paying and manufacturing such infrastructure while you're suffering from the high prices. People would be more concerned with their daily needs.
    Simply adopt an authoritarian government to implement the process, then overthrow it later. It has been done many times in the past, I see no reason why it would be non-feasible this time around.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Okay, let's reason this out.

Worst case scenario, we're back to living like it's the 19th century. No cars, and no electricity. We have to use horses and steam engines again. This would be undesirable, but we could certainly survive it. This scenario isn't very likely, though... it would require that peak oil caught everyone completely by surprise, and we all ran out of oil overnight.

A more likely scenario, is that we do find alternatives to oil, but they're expensive. So, basically, not every individual can afford to have electricity anymore. Big businesses, the government, and the wealthy will still have them, but normal people will have to do without. This would lead to greater social stratification, and make rising into the middle/upper class impossible. Personal automobiles will also become the domain of the well-off, and this may force more communities to adopt mass transit systems. It's possible that this would be a temporary situation, and that more scientific research would bring us back out of the "Dark Ages" once again.

The best case scenario, is that we silence all the environmentalists, and build a ton of nuclear plants before oil runs out. We also commit a lot of research into electric cars, and manage to make them viable. And life continues on much as it normally would, except that some people are now very afraid of a meltdown.

MBTI
    INFP

A partial list of products made from Petroleum (144 of 6000 items)

One 42-gallon barrel of oil creates 19.4 gallons of gasoline. The rest (over half) is used to make things like:

Solvents, Diesel fuel,Motor Oil,Bearing Grease,Ink,Floor Wax,Ballpoint Pens,Football Cleats,Upholstery,Sweaters,Boats,Insecticides,Bicy cle Tires,Sports Car Bodies,Nail Polish,Fishing lures,Dresses,Tires,Golf Bags,Perfumes,Cassettes,Dishwasher parts,Tool Boxes,Shoe Polish,Motorcycle Helmet,Caulking,Petroleum Jelly,Transparent Tape,CD Player,Faucet Washers,Antiseptics,Clothesline,Curtains,Food Preservatives,Basketballs,Soap,Vitamin Capsules,Antihistamines,Purses,Shoes,Dashboards,Co rtisone,Deodorant,Footballs,
    Putty,Dyes,Panty Hose,Refrigerant,Percolators,Life Jackets,Rubbing Alcohol,Linings,Skis,TV Cabinets,Shag Rugs,Electrician's Tape,Tool Racks,Car Battery Cases,Epoxy,Paint,Mops,Slacks,Insect Repellent,Oil Filters,Umbrellas,Yarn,Fertilizers,Hair Coloring,Roofing,Toilet Seats,Fishing Rods,Lipstick,Denture Adhesive,Linoleum,Ice Cube Trays,Synthetic Rubber,Speakers,Plastic Wood,Electric Blankets,Glycerin,Tennis Rackets,Rubber ,Cement,Fishing Boots,Dice,Nylon Rope,Candles,Trash Bags,House Paint,Water Pipes,Hand Lotion,Roller Skates,Surf Boards,Shampoo,Wheels,Paint Rollers,Shower Curtains,Guitar Strings,Luggage,Aspirin,Safety Glasses,Antifreeze,Football Helmets,
    Awnings,Eyeglasses,Clothes,Toothbrushes,Ice Chests,Footballs,Combs,CD's & DVD's,Paint Brushes,Detergents,Vaporizers,Balloons,Sun Glasses,Tents,Heart Valves,Crayons,Parachutes,Telephones,Enamel,Pillow s,Dishes,Cameras,Anesthetics,Artificial Turf,Artificial limbs,Bandages,Dentures,Model Cars,Folding Doors,Hair Curlers,Cold cream,Movie film,Soft Contact lenses,Drinking Cups,Fan Belts,Car Enamel,Shaving Cream,Ammonia,Refrigerators,Golf Balls,Toothpaste,Gasoline

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

When we run out of fuel for the tanks, helicopters and planes, are we going back to the age of infantry and cavalry (of the horse type)?
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    When we run out of fuel for the tanks, helicopters and planes, are we going back to the age of infantry and cavalry (of the horse type)?
    True, but not quite in my opinion.

The thing is that I was waiting to see what others think about this before I write a opinion of my own. So when I find the time to write all of that I will post my take on this.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    You can run out of a type of a fuel, but you can't run out of fuel. There is too much mass on this planet alone to use up in the foreseeable future of human civilization.