User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think passing this legislation will truly help?

27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think it's a step in the right direction.

14 51.85%
  • Yes, but it's only the tip of what really needs to be done.

10 37.04%
  • No, this this repeal is gilded.

0 0%
  • I don't care either way if it's repealed or not.

3 11.11%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Dont Ask Don't Tell--Homophobia or Sexual Repression?

To Jenn and Meta -- I voted in my own poll as "only the tip of what really needs to be done". I definitely am glad it's being repealed.. I suppose I was a bit too negative in this thread ^_^;; Lark's trolling got me off the point I was trying to make in the first place, and it all went down from there.

The truth is, it is a small victory. I feel it's only on-paper.. The issue rests with people thinking way too hard on sex and not so much about work. Their focus on repressing sex is what causes anything... The truth is, if men were not attracted to women, we'd shower the way the soldiers do on Starship Troopers.

My hope is that this opens a can of worms and chaos in the military and forces them to rearrange their policies so that hate can't find its way through. I apologize that my focusing on the other issue completely overshadowed my optimism about this I think I made just about the smallest blurb ever in this thread saying that the policies changing does reflect the way the army must operate.

I think I'm just impatient... and Im worried for those homosexuals that will have to deal with the chaos that ensues.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

[YOUTUBE="BOehDqygaj8"]Post-DADT Recruiting[/YOUTUBE]

[youtube="ol5Dfs7jqFI"]Post-DADT marching drill[/YOUTUBE]

There's strong and then there's Army strong.

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Meanwhile, the UN removes sexual orientation from a list of invalid reasons to commit heinous crimes against humanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    As if we needed another example of the shortcomings of democracy...

I'm afraid more and more are only going to lose faith
    The re voting has been done. Victory to the suppressed. US has done a great job it appears.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said the U.S. reintroduced the language to send an unequivocal message that "No one should be killed for who they are."

"Sadly, many people around the world continue to be targeted and killed because of their sexual orientation," she said. "These heinous crimes must be condemned and investigated wherever they occur."
    That's what it is about. Now there is a majority again to condemn people with this behavior instead. It's consistent with how society evolves. Burn the haters instead. Having UN on the team is a great asset, and necessary.

I'm still shocked by the level of ignorance that this even progressed to this level. UN would have been a joke in human rights regards if this had gotten through.

The sad part is that one realizes how widespread the hating mindset is. But there are people who are objective and consistent. Democracy can work, and in the end I think it is the way to deal with hating suppressive sexist dictators and their followers.

Banned Array

I don't know if the legislation will 'help' anything in terms of discrimination en mass, but, that a receptive government can have policies molded, that's not a bad thing to see. In this case, at least.